OnePocket.org Forums

OnePocket.org Forums (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php)
-   One Pocket Forum (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT? (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15414)

hayes1699 05-10-2019 10:54 PM

One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT?
 
Here's my argument...

Tony Chohan One Pocket Highlights Reel
https://youtu.be/s2rT8-ZK2n0

Please share and follow!
Need a highlight reel? PM me.

Mkbtank 05-10-2019 11:03 PM

One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT?
 
Awesome video. Well done 👍

NH Steve 05-10-2019 11:47 PM

Fantastic!!!! ....and by that I mean Tony and you too hayes 1699 -- very nice work there!!!!

BRLongArm 05-10-2019 11:52 PM

All those highlights came in the first match against Dennis. Everything and I mean everything broke right for Tony and he won by two games. 2 years later, Tony can't beat Dennis and it isn't close. They just played a match for $5K in Houston and it was 7-2 Dennis.

The real issue isn't whether Tony is the GOAT. He is arguably the best American Player since Cliff Joyner or Scott Frost. I think most of us would say Efren was the greatest player in our lifetime. Now Alex is the king of one pocket. Conditions are different now. The tables are much tougher than they were in the past, and the depth of the playing field is much deeper now than in the past.

No doubt that Tony played inhuman one pocket at California Billiards. But he has a high variance in his game. Consistency wins one pocket, not circus shots.

gulfportdoc 05-11-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayes1699 (Post 257212)
Here's my argument...

Tony Chohan One Pocket Highlights Reel
https://youtu.be/s2rT8-ZK2n0

Please share and follow!
Need a highlight reel? PM me.

VERY nice production, Mr. Hayes! Very professional.

~Doc

Jeff sparks 05-11-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRLongArm (Post 257216)
All those highlights came in the first match against Dennis. Everything and I mean everything broke right for Tony and he won by two games. 2 years later, Tony can't beat Dennis and it isn't close. They just played a match for $5K in Houston and it was 7-2 Dennis.

The real issue isn't whether Tony is the GOAT. He is arguably the best American Player since Cliff Joyner or Scott Frost. I think most of us would say Efren was the greatest player in our lifetime. Now Alex is the king of one pocket. Conditions are different now. The tables are much tougher than they were in the past, and the depth of the playing field is much deeper now than in the past.

No doubt that Tony played inhuman one pocket at California Billiards. But he has a high variance in his game. Consistency wins one pocket, not circus shots.

Very well said...

catkins 05-11-2019 03:44 PM

I would say that tonly is the most fearless creative one pocket player I have seen . I don't think he is consistent enough to say he is the best ever. I personally don't think any one can say any one but efren deserves the greatest of all time because of his consistently and high level play every time he played.

sappo 05-11-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRLongArm (Post 257216)
All those highlights came in the first match against Dennis. Everything and I mean everything broke right for Tony and he won by two games. 2 years later, Tony can't beat Dennis and it isn't close. They just played a match for $5K in Houston and it was 7-2 Dennis.

The real issue isn't whether Tony is the GOAT. He is arguably the best American Player since Cliff Joyner or Scott Frost. I think most of us would say Efren was the greatest player in our lifetime. Now Alex is the king of one pocket. Conditions are different now. The tables are much tougher than they were in the past, and the depth of the playing field is much deeper now than in the past.

No doubt that Tony played inhuman one pocket at California Billiards. But he has a high variance in his game. Consistency wins one pocket, not circus shots.

Tony is an amazing pool player. He has got to be the best player to watch however I can't put my money on him. He does not have the discipline or the patience to play the game that gives him the optimum chance to win.
Ive said it before and Im sure Ill say it again, his nickname shouldn't be T Rex it should be T Reckless......... Keith

Island Drive 05-11-2019 03:59 PM

1968
 
Nice piece thx....reminded me of when I first saw Ronnie Allen at Janscos Show Bar, and the shots he came up with. At the tender age of 19 and seeing, hearing, watching RA in his prime, do what he does best was like watching TC....with banter like no other, and RA could back it up!

Scrzbill 05-12-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sappo (Post 257252)
Tony is an amazing pool player. He has got to be the best player to watch however I can't put my money on him. He does not have the discipline or the patience to play the game that gives him the optimum chance to win.
Ive said it before and Im sure Ill say it again, his nickname shouldn't be T Rex it should be T Reckless......... Keith

I just happen to be one of those people that put T-Rex in games. I put him in a game with a guy I beat and he promptly lost two sets fast. He shot at everything and he wanted to play a third set. I said no because he wasnít playing any safes. He said he would play smarter. 0-3 when we left. Not Tonyís money, he doesnít care. Tony is the most imaginative player. Players like Alex have the same knowledge but they want for THE shot. Tony pushes, then pushes some more. I do miss seeing him play. Big guy with such a nice stroke.

youngstownkid 05-12-2019 06:41 PM

One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT?
 
I donít remember ever seeing his picture hanging up at the Horseshoe Casino of Southern Indiana...

Scrzbill 05-12-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngstownkid (Post 257314)
I donít remember ever seeing his picture hanging up at the Horseshoe Casino of Southern Indiana...

Thereís a picture of him at my house.

Billy Jackets 05-12-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrzbill (Post 257322)
Thereís a picture of him at my house.

I have a big picture of my old boss on my garage wall, every time I go by, I spit on it.
He put the eep in creep.

beatle 05-13-2019 03:20 AM

he does seem to play way to recklessly. however that is his style, and he does beat almost everyone in the whole world at one pocket except for a small handful. so his style isnt far off. and that means for most players their conservative style is way to conservative when playing a good or better player.

gulfportdoc 05-13-2019 09:58 AM

I gather from some of the posts that when Orcullo or Pagulayan win, it's because of their brilliant play. But when Chohan wins...... he got lucky...:D

~Doc

beatle 05-13-2019 11:12 AM

thats probably true as both of them play a little better than tony. and his best chance of beating them is to play for shots and runouts rather than a slow moving game. as you draw out a game to make it longer the better player has a bigger edge.

BRLongArm 05-13-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 257336)
thats probably true as both of them play a little better than tony. and his best chance of beating them is to play for shots and runouts rather than a slow moving game. as you draw out a game to make it longer the better player has a bigger edge.

When I shoot a flyer and it goes in, I look great. When I sell out, I am reckless. The problem is it is a flyer because it is low percentage. Better players don't bet the game on low percentage shots because they know they can win in other ways.

Tony's style is hyper-aggressive and it works against everyone but the top two or three in the world. Like Frost, or Smith, when Tony comes up against the elite, that style works against him more often than not. You blow the stack open, you better get out. Because Alex and Dennis are getting out when you open up the balls and leave them a shot.

lll 05-13-2019 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
......................
Attachment 24439

jerry matchin 05-13-2019 01:21 PM

I think we have to give Tony a pass on his picture not hanging in the rafters at DCC. He was away from the game for about eight years and just started back about two years ago. For those who think his game is not Par Exe-lance give it time. Clearly he does not strike the ball as well as Dennis and Alex but he's in the mix. His high light reel is pretty good stuff.

cincy_kid 05-13-2019 04:18 PM

great production!!

I specifically like where you highlight the balls involved in the shot, that's pro stuff there, thank you!

IMO, for what it's worth I am with Joe on this one (well said by the way).

No denying he is one of the best but consistency is king in this game.

beatle 05-13-2019 08:05 PM

no, in the top level getting out is the game. consistency will just not cut it there.

in any level playing the particular shot that gives you the best chance of winning the game is always the best shot choice.

NH Steve 05-14-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 257358)
no, in the top level getting out is the game. consistency will just not cut it there.

in any level playing the particular shot that gives you the best chance of winning the game is always the best shot choice.

...and sometimes, your best chance to win the game is a seemingly "reckless" shot.

Unfortunately for some of us, it seems those seemingly reckless shots are also our best chance to lose the game, since it turns out they truly are reckless, not just seemingly reckless lol. For me it seems like it often just that one damn ball, that misbehaves -- doubling back to my opponent's side, or getting kissed and staying near their hole, or leaving a window for my opponent's gamer bank... you know them I am sure.

But Tony -- and Scott Frost at times -- do really take it to another level. It is incredible to watch when it works!!

beatle 05-14-2019 10:42 AM

and against a better player you are an underdog so taking a shot that may be a slight underdog to make but opens the table so you can win is the correct shot.

but of course taking a shot that isnt likely to go is rarely ever right.

against a player that moves better than you playing a tight conservative game is far worse than opening the balls and shooting. and visa versa if you move better than him.

jrhendy 05-14-2019 12:14 PM

I have played some of the best players in the world over the years and look at it this way. There is not one thing I do better than them, so I have to take any reasonable opportunity that come up that might let me win the game. That means being more aggressive than someone that plays around my own speed.

I will add that this has not worked out too well for me so far.:lol

I played T-Rex years ago when I was giving him weight. In about a year or so it went from giving 9/7 to getting 9/7 and not liking it. He is certainly one of the top players today, but the GOAT has to be Efren IMO.

youngstownkid 05-14-2019 11:08 PM

One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry matchin (Post 257345)
I think we have to give Tony a pass on his picture not hanging in the rafters at DCC. He was away from the game for about eight years and just started back about two years ago. For those who think his game is not Par Exe-lance give it time. Clearly he does not strike the ball as well as Dennis and Alex but he's in the mix. His high light reel is pretty good stuff.



Ok, in that case heís the GOAT...🤣

bobt64 05-15-2019 12:51 PM

I'm not going to say whether he's the GOAT or not but when I want to watch some 1P he's the one I'm looking for first.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.