OnePocket.org Forums

OnePocket.org Forums (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php)
-   One Pocket Forum (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two sides of the same coin (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15520)

BRLongArm 06-20-2019 07:32 PM

Two sides of the same coin

Our game can be analogized to a coin. On one side, you have the gamblers. On the other side, you have tournament play. On the one side, we will call it heads for simplicity sake, we have the old school gambling ways, where playing under cover or stalling was a necessary part of a player's arsenal to be a successful player.

It was a lot easier to play under cover before the world got so small. Today, we can watch the up and coming Filipino champions play real time in their Manila pool rooms. We can pull up video for almost any player you want information on and you can see what they do well, what they do poorly and how they matched up with any number of common opponents. No, today, the gamblers and bushwhackers have a hard time making a living. The costs of the road having gotten to the point that you have to have an appointment to really make it worth while. And that doesn't lend itself to playing undercover, does it? Even playing in your home room gets to the point where you run out of customers.

On the tails side, you have tournament play. In our game of One Pocket, you have the Derby City, Buffalo's, Scotty Townsend, Big Dogs and Houston as the mainstays. The West Coast Challenge took a year off this year, and the US Open has not been run well, leading to event cancellations, bucking other established events and generally poor attendance. Others, like Freezers Challenge promises a good event, but only time will tell if they have any staying power. Still others go for a year, and then you don't hear from them again.

A hybrid is the two man tournaments, which are played every now and then when the backers feel like putting the players together. There is no regularity in that species of one pocket, either in time, format of play, or stream quality.

So I ask the group: If you could support just one of the three options, which would it be? Would you stay to yourself and gamble amongst your friends and leave the pros alone? We call this the "Grassroots approach"

Would you support a real tour of professionals, with a minimum of six stops, professionally streamed? We call this the "Tournament approach"

Would you support the two man tournaments on a pay per view basis? We call this the "Heads up" match approach.

I know some of you support one pocket in all its forms, but many other members have a decided bias in favor or against certain formats. I am gathering information and I want your opinions. I'd also like to know which of you buy pay per view streams for tournaments and heads up matches. And if you don't buy the stream, I'd like to know why.

We are all here to support and foster growth in one pocket. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Joe Long

lll 06-20-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRLongArm (Post 259521)
Our game can be analogized to a coin. On one side, you have the gamblers. On the other side, you have tournament play. On the one side, we will call it heads for simplicity sake, we have the old school gambling ways, where playing under cover or stalling was a necessary part of a player's arsenal to be a successful player.

It was a lot easier to play under cover before the world got so small. Today, we can watch the up and coming Filipino champions play real time in their Manila pool rooms. We can pull up video for almost any player you want information on and you can see what they do well, what they do poorly and how they matched up with any number of common opponents. No, today, the gamblers and bushwhackers have a hard time making a living. The costs of the road having gotten to the point that you have to have an appointment to really make it worth while. And that doesn't lend itself to playing undercover, does it? Even playing in your home room gets to the point where you run out of customers.

On the tails side, you have tournament play. In our game of One Pocket, you have the Derby City, Buffalo's, Scotty Townsend, Big Dogs and Houston as the mainstays. The West Coast Challenge took a year off this year, and the US Open has not been run well, leading to event cancellations, bucking other established events and generally poor attendance. Others, like Freezers Challenge promises a good event, but only time will tell if they have any staying power. Still others go for a year, and then you don't hear from them again.

A hybrid is the two man tournaments, which are played every now and then when the backers feel like putting the players together. There is no regularity in that species of one pocket, either in time, format of play, or stream quality.

So I ask the group: If you could support just one of the three options, which would it be? Would you stay to yourself and gamble amongst your friends and leave the pros alone? We call this the "Grassroots approach"

Would you support a real tour of professionals, with a minimum of six stops, professionally streamed? We call this the "Tournament approach"

I know some of you support one pocket in all its forms, but many other members have a decided bias in favor or against certain formats. I am gathering information and I want your opinions. I'd also like to know which of you buy pay per view streams for tournaments and heads up matches. And if you don't buy the stream, I'd like to know why.

We are all here to support and foster growth in one pocket. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Joe Long

Would you stay to yourself and gamble amongst your friends and leave the pros alone? We call this the "Grassroots approach"
i would not play pros since i have no chance
i would enter tourneys with them as dead money for the experience
i have been a premium member of rays poolactiontv.com for years
i buy other streams on an event by event basis
i have no problem paying for a stream
its better than paying to go see some bozo movie..... :D
Would you support a real tour of professionals, with a minimum of six stops, professionally streamed? We call this the "Tournament approach
i have bought most of the streams of these matches
in summary
the 2 man matches because of the uncertainity of how many and how often would be hard to be sustainable as the only way
jmho
the "tour" is to me a no brainer
consistent and easy to support or attend to sweat or play
playing among your "friends" will never stop happening
joe
i hope this helps you
larry
i am not a great player or a gambler
but love onepocket and will do my best to support it

one pocket guy 06-20-2019 08:40 PM

Larry pretty much nailed it for me.
The only difference is buying all the streams. I donít buy them all but itís not because of quality/price etc. Itís the hour. Iím an early riser due to work and I just donít get enough out of it. I was busy with outa town family when the Efren Thorpe show happened and had I not been that format would have been great.
4-10 central perfect! But alas that canít be for everyone so Iíll buy as many as I can.~T

Jeff sparks 06-20-2019 08:42 PM

Seems itís mainly a question of time, desire, and where-with-all... If a person has the time, the desire to watch top level one pocket, and the money to travel or buy the top quality streams, then itís simply a matter of which events he or she would want to attend in person and which events they would be satisfied watching via stream...

OTOH, I suppose there are still some people around ( non- professionals ) who enjoy actually being directly involved in some form or fashion in the action or the promotion of gambling matches and donít mind ponying up to do it, or promote/ stake the matches...

I enjoy watching top players play one pocket, itís further enhanced for me personally when the commentary is done by knowledgeable professional players who are both gifted with a great sense of humor and are able to co-exist as a team... A crystal clear uninterrupted stream with two or three viewing angles would also be a big plus imo...

If not for the smoke, I no doubt would travel to rooms around my own town to watch and perhaps wager on high level matches being played for considerable amounts of money... Being there adds a taste of flavor that you just canít get on a stream... Plus thereís the added excitement of betting!

crabbcatjohn 06-20-2019 09:10 PM

I like the mini tour approach. I might support attending and or watching a tour.
I rarely buy streams anymore except for DCC final days. Dont care for certain streamers and what I get for my money. To me there is no excuse for not showing more than one table with today's technology and also sorely missing Daniel and Lennys free streams.
2 man tournaments just seem too suspect for business to me. Not accusing anyone, just wont pay to watch them.
Around here we have a lot of one pocket action of all levels right now so I can always get games, just need the time to play. I'd rather play than watch..
Heck we have a tour of sorts for our members here...2 a year at Rowseys and the yearly traveling...

jrhendy 06-20-2019 09:26 PM

Like many around here, I have been around a long time. I travel to some tournaments, usually gamble when I am there, and pay to watch the stream at the tournaments I donít attend anymore, as age has slowed me down some. I donít bet as high as I used too but bet enough to pay attention.

There is quite a bit of one pocket in Northern CA and we have a couple monthly tournaments for the locals along with some annual tournaments that draw top players to compete against. I support the local tournaments as much as I can.

There are also enough players at Hard Times, Sacramento, to make some kind of gambling game with to keep me in action a few times a month.

I have been playing one pocket almost 60 years and hope I have several more games left in me.:D

LSJohn 06-20-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRLongArm (Post 259521)

Joe Long

You know my answers but in case there's value in anyone else knowing:

I enjoy all of the above, and like to support the people who support the game, you and Steve being definitely in that mix.

I'd love to find a way to support a Tournament of Champions at the end of the year for the the top finishers in the key tournaments throughout the year. I'd even kick in a little and definitely buy the stream and replays.

Which reminds me, the professional streamers who aren't making streams available after-the-fact for their buyers who can't catch everything live are missing the boat, IMO. I have the strong impression that many people pass on buying because their schedules don't allow much live viewing.

beatle 06-20-2019 10:32 PM

im with jeff and john with the betting. that is what pool is all about. for me as well the smoke kills and keeps me out of many rooms. but in general smokers rarely have any big money so those are not who i play.
personally i dont care about tournaments as the players dont put up enough money to get in and so are playing for mostly peanuts. i like seeing the top players run balls but that gets boring and i would not pay to see them play as i dont idolize them or am i amazed at their tremendous ability. tony is definitely fun to watch and i can learn new thoughts on things as well from him.

being old school where the good players and the bad all had personalities and things happened and were amazing to watch and or be part of. not so with the no expression players of today.

sheldon 06-20-2019 10:39 PM

Larry's post echoes my sentiments as well.
I don't mind paying for streams. Especially if they are well run and well commentated.
I'd also like to see more free ones offered. Not because I don't wish to pay or support the game, but to bring more 1P awareness, and get more people playing it. I'm a shortstop, but still like to put a few bucks on some games with friends, and would make an attempt to enter any tournaments that weren't too distant, or expensive.

ChicagoFats 06-20-2019 10:48 PM

I have a premium for poolactiontv.com.
I always buy the make it happen sets(I think those are great and great commentary).

I gamble everywhere I go.
I prefer to play until someone kicks me out of the building. I am young enough where I can play 24 hour sessions if need be, but I always play at least 8-10 hours.
I don't give action to any of the guys that aren't willing to go the distance.

I really don't like watching any of the live matches with slow players like Orcullo or similar. I would prefer to watch an edited version or highlights for those matches.

I agree that paid streams should be more than one table.
I bought a Mevo and have been recording some of my gambling sessions just to see some of my mental errors. I haven't done any streaming yet, but I have some of the tools.