California Billirds

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I could not say enough before the tournament about how great a pool room my home court is and was. For those of you that went, was that a great place or what?, and always action. People have said what good service and how special we were treated. Would you believe, that is an everyday occurrence? If you’re a regular, you ask for something and you will get it.
I like COKE in a can. Chris got it for me for the tournament. He used to get it for me and a couple of other before. He can’t put it out because of his commitment to Pepsi but you can have COKE in a can, if you want it.
And those shakes. I had a chocolate shake for breakfast one day. Thick and they give you a spoon, no glass. Sugar high for hours.
The other thing about the location of CBs, it is walking distance of several nice hotels. I prefer the Marriott but it is a further walk.
And, right across the street behind the falafel place is a Chinese trained, Board Certified, acupuncturist. She uses electric stimulation along with the needles, heat, and is followed by a boney fingered massage. $90 total. That is why I was walking so well and had very little pain.
Thanks to POV for the stream and thanks to Daniel, relinquishing control of the microphone so the members could announce.
If we could play there every year, I would not object.

Attachments

• 4B402DD0-8C1C-4576-8075-B5A8FF6F2E55.jpg
    4B402DD0-8C1C-4576-8075-B5A8FF6F2E55.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I agree with so many things that you've stated in your post. First, California Billiards is a fantastic place. Second, everyone, associated with CA, from the owner, Chris Swart, to each and every employee, treated me with notable distinction. Can there be any better compliment than to say, "I felt like a trusted regular?" Third, the tables played commendably, the food was exceptional, Steve Booth, John Henderson, and David Busch were remarkable.

Yes, I would come here every year for the onepocket.org tournament. I liked it that much. Just like you, Bill. But some of my coming back is based on my day after the tournament. On Monday, as so many left to return home, I went sightseeing along the Pacific Coast spending a lot of the time in Santa Cruz and up to Moon Bay. Such beautiful country. I want to see more! Yet my disagreement would be to have the tournament at California Billiards each year. I believe it should move around the country (maybe even Vancouver) to other pool room venues in fairness to all the members of onepocket.org. And wherever the 2019 annual tournament might be, I plan to spend a couple of days to sightsee afterward. And if it happened to return to California Billiards, I plan to spend a week to sightsee afterward.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I am not suggesting having the tournament yearly at CBs. It’s just a thought. I said that about Chris’s also. Going around the country is also my preference. Wish I had known you were going to the coast. I could have told you where Fast Eddy’s is in Capitola and other sites. SantaCRuZBill is my screen name because I lived there so many years.:eek:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
After my wife and I left California Billiards we worked our way south. Salinas, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Burbank, Catalina Island, and two days nights in San Diego. WOW, what a great vacation.

I would vote for California Billiards as a permanent location. Same location, first or second week in June. Sounds perfect

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I am not suggesting having the tournament yearly at CBs. It’s just a thought. I said that about Chris’s also. Going around the country is also my preference. Wish I had known you were going to the coast. I could have told you where Fast Eddy’s is in Capitola and other sites. SantaCRuZBill is my screen name because I lived there so many years.:eek:

That's funny. I never knew what all those letters before bill meant :)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I like COKE in a can. Chris got it for me for the tournament. He used to get it for me and a couple of other before. He can’t put it out because of his commitment to Pepsi but you can have COKE in a can, if you want it.

I loved it, too Bill. But I was not aware, or didn't think about asking, for Diet Coke in a can. Now I can't wait till next time. :)

Dave

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I could see us have 3-4 permanent locations which we rotate through (like they do with the big trade shows). East, West, MW and South type thing. If we have an owner who supports us and we like the place. Why screw around? Each room would have a host member (like Mr. Henderson executed for our last event). This way when we all arrive we are cooking with gas.

I have said it before. Whatever we do needs to be a place we can all fly into direct. Milk runs are expensive and tiresome. This will take some rooms off the list but it's the MUST HAVE when we have people coming in from throughout the Country (Countries in my case). It would be great to have a Mexican representative.

Table 1. Nick B from Canada vs Manuel Fernandez from Mexico

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I could not say enough before the tournament about how great a pool room my home court is and was. For those of you that went, was that a great place or what?, and always action. People have said what good service and how special we were treated. Would you believe, that is an everyday occurrence? If you’re a regular, you ask for something and you will get it.
And those shakes. I had a chocolate shake for breakfast one day. Thick and they give you a spoon, no glass. Sugar high for hours.
The other thing about the location of CBs, it is walking distance of several nice hotels. I prefer the Marriott but it is a further walk.
And, right across the street behind the falafel place is a Chinese trained, Board Certified, acupuncturist. She uses electric stimulation along with the needles, heat, and is followed by a boney fingered massage. $90 total. That is why I was walking so well and had very little pain.
Thanks to POV for the stream and thanks to Daniel, relinquishing control of the microphone so the members could announce.
If we could play there every year, I would not object.

Chris was a GREAT HOST, and I loved California Billiard Club, but I don't like the idea of staying in one location. I think one of the best things about moving around is that besides the core group of hard-core travelers, we get a little different mix at every location -- along with some new members that turn out to be invaluable solid members!! Not to mention we get to check out another GREAT ROOM and explore a new area. Also, not all our members can afford to travel a whole lot, so having our tournament cruise into their local area is a big plus. Can I veto this suggestion, while at the same time saying I love the location? :D:D

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Much as I love everything about California Billiards, and appreciate Chris' relentless generosity with time, spirit, resources and support for one pocket, not to mention the convenience it would be for me to have our annual wingding in my home court, so long as we can find suitable locations with supportive room owners, it seems much fairer to all and more fun for most to move around each year. Maybe a rotation amongst a limited number of rooms will develop as we move forward. Vegas? Phoenix/Tucson? Philly? DC? Cincy? Providence or Boston? Too bad NYC would be stupid expensive.

As for regional events for 1p.org members, like in Memphis, if membership (verified or otherwise) is required, I'm all for it.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Much as I love everything about California Billiards, and appreciate Chris' relentless generosity with time, spirit, resources and support for one pocket, not to mention the convenience it would be for me to have our annual wingding in my home court, so long as we can find suitable locations with supportive room owners, it seems much fairer to all and more fun for most to move around each year. Maybe a rotation amongst a limited number of rooms will develop as we move forward. Vegas? Phoenix/Tucson? Philly? DC? Cincy? Providence or Boston? Too bad NYC would be stupid expensive.

As for regional events for 1p.org members, like in Memphis, if membership (verified or otherwise) is required, I'm all for it.

Nice seeing you again, Mike. I enjoyed our match too, sorry it had to end early because of that credit card issue. I'm still hot about it. :)

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
obvious answer is just have 4 or more one pocket tourneys a year at the different locations !!!

mostly posting this because of what a great experience it was to go to the one and wish I could go around the country and play more than one a year.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Nice seeing you again, Mike. I enjoyed our match too, sorry it had to end early because of that credit card issue. I'm still hot about it. :)

Time to confess...you were shredding me so easily I had to conjure up a credit card problem to draw you away! I don't know what you were on that night but whatever it was, I want some. Thank you for graciously letting me off the hook willingly swallowed. We will have a rematch some day, and I promise I will actually make more than two balls in a row when we do. As long as you don't always play that strong, I stand a decent chance of winning another game or maybe even two.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Time to confess...you were shredding me so easily I had to conjure up a credit card problem to draw you away! I don't know what you were on that night but whatever it was, I want some. Thank you for graciously letting me off the hook willingly swallowed. We will have a rematch some day, and I promise I will actually make more than two balls in a row when we do. As long as you don't always play that strong, I stand a decent chance of winning another game or maybe even two.

Funny, when I was talking w/the CC company about my issue they did mention your name, but I didn't connect the dots until now. Grrrrr. By the way, if you make more than 2 balls in a row I will need a spot. :)

I look forward to next time we meet/play.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Put one together at Family or CBs

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
4 Tournaments a Year?

4 Tournaments a Year?

The issue with playing multiple tournaments a year will be the draw. It won't feel as special as it is. I have seen this done on club golf tournaments. If you don't make this one, they will wait for the next one. This is a special tournament and having several in a year will detract from it.

Fortunately for me, this year's tournament was local and I really enjoyed it. I am willing to go to the next one wherever it may be in the US. Hopefully the planets will align and I will be able to attend.