This picture is especially for Jerry, Hendy, Keone, Frank, & beatle

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
From my picture files...here's a rare pic of the great old L.A./west Hollywood poolroom that back in the 60's and 70's we all spent a lot of time in, and have a lot of great memories from - Ye Billiard Den >>>

Attachments

• 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000S.jpg
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000S.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
Thanks Bruce

Thanks Bruce

Yep It was like a University there.
Professors Danny D, Cuban Joe, Pancho, Lenny Moore, Brooklyn Butch, Richie Ambrose, Hawaiian Brian, Bernie Schwartz, Ernie G of Gina Cue, Marvin Henderson, Freddie the Beard, Jerry the Greek and his dog King, Cripple Shorty, Black Rudy, etc.

Not to mention celebrities like James Caan, Telly Savalas, Richard Pryor, Phil Spector, James Garner, etc.

Every night was a lesson in life.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
From my picture files...here's a rare pic of the great old L.A./west Hollywood poolroom that back in the 60's and 70's we all spent a lot of time in, and have a lot of great memories from - Ye Billiard Den >>>

Nice picture, but why do those people drive all those old cars? :p

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I didn’t hang out there, but usually stopped by to see what was going on when I made my L A runs. Hollywood Billiards and Fourth & Main usually got me busted before I made to the Den. So many great action pool rooms in those days.

Thanks for the pic. If my memory is right, there were a couple more in the greater Los Angeles area. I know there was one around El Monte, but not the action room this one was.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice picture from memory lane, Luke. I played several sessions there, but I never hung out there. It was a little above my price range in those days...:cool:. My first room was Mr. Pockets, along with pool scuffs like Jerry Matchin :))). Then I migrated to Chopsticks Billiards in North Hollywood, where Hollywood Jack was the houseman. Also spent lots of time at Tiff Payne's N. Hyd Billiards, and of course Hyd Billiards at Hyd & Western. I liked Celebrity Billiards too, on Vine St., but didn't spend a lot of time there.

Those were great days. And as Henderson said, there were lots of rooms then.

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
Tournament Billiards was also a great place in Culver City. Just a few miles from Ye Billiard Den. It would run 24 hours sometime and had some great matches. Saw some of the best African American players there. Preacher Red, Rags, Cecil, Marvin The Flash Henderson, etc.
Also up the street from Ye Billiard Den was a bar called the Gold Coast. It had a back room that had a bar table that saw a lot of action as well.

A couple of other Ye Billiard Den alumni, Toupee Jay Helfert, Cecil. and Crazy Bruce.

baby huey

Verified Member
Keoneyo: This picture brings back memories. That's the driveway Crazy Bruce used when he lost and drove from the Billiard Den parking lot fifty miles an hour across Santa Monica without looking. Lol. Nice picture. Thx.

beatle

Verified Member
My best memory is the arabian guy no one would play because all he had were 500 and 1000 dollar bills and needed change to pay off if he lost.
They all were afraid of fake ones.
So I played him and got all of the bills and never had to make change. Of course they were good .

beatle

Verified Member
I knew Bruce for years and have great stories about him. Not many knew him outside the poolroom where he was worse

keoneyo

Verified Member
I knew Bruce for years and have great stories about him. Not many knew him outside the poolroom where he was worse

Are you talking about Crazy Bruce. I saw Diliberto nail him after Bruce stiffed him for a hundred. He hit him soooo hard. But Bruce hit himself the hardest when he lost. Slamming himself into a wall.
I saw him recently wearing an expensive watch. Heard he was in real estate now.

beatle

Verified Member
i think that was in miami where he ko'd bruce wasnt it. not in l.a where he is now. maybe got him twice. bruce wouldnt mind getting hit if he was losing, or missed a shot, or missed position, or got a cold cup of coffee, or got stuck in traffic.

beatle

Verified Member
bruce ranked third in the world in drawing a crowd to watch him play. first was fats, then ronnie, then bruce.

bstroud

Verified Member
The Den was my favorite place to play on the West coast. It was clean and well run.

Lots of money and people to play.

Filled with characters like Peter Faulk, Al Hurt, Joey Bishop.

Harry the Horse, Pancho and his girlfriend and many others.

Only downside is that they closed at 2:00pm even if you were in the middle of a $500 game.

Bill S.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Really frustrating...

I have two pictures of the inside of Ye Billiard Den from back in the day...one is of my old friend Joey Gold (cuemaker of Cognoscenti cues) with the whole poolroom in the background, and the other pic is of me and my buddy Brooklyn Butch playing 9ball...

But after twice searching all of my old albums, files, etc. I can't find the damn pics :frus :mad: :frus...

I'm gonna keep searching...

- Ghost

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
The Den was my favorite place to play on the West coast. It was clean and well run.

Lots of money and people to play.

Filled with characters like Peter Faulk, Al Hurt, Joey Bishop.

Harry the Horse, Pancho and his girlfriend and many others.

Only downside is that they closed at 2:00pm even if you were in the middle of a $500 game.

Bill S.

I think you mean 2 AM right?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think you mean 2 AM right?

Really frustrating...

I have two pictures of the inside of Ye Billiard Den from back in the day...one is of my old friend Joey Gold (cuemaker of Cognoscenti cues) with the whole poolroom in the background, and the other pic is of me and my buddy Brooklyn Butch playing 9ball...

But after twice searching all of my old albums, files, etc. I can't find the damn pics :frus :mad: :frus...

I'm gonna keep searching...

- Ghost

my thought re 2 AM
ghost your pics are havinng a senior moment....:)...you will find them

beatle

Verified Member
ghost is joey gold still around, i cant hardly even remember what he looks like.

a long ways back you insisted we never met or talked at the billiard den as you had left by 1971 as that is when i remember when i first showed up there. but i do remember you from that place. oh well.
i wish you well