OnePocket.org Forums

OnePocket.org Forums (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php)
-   One Pocket Forum (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Backer Fees? (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15439)

Andy52086 05-20-2019 06:00 PM

Backer Fees?

So I'm trying to get a buddy playing again...he was an extremely great player...anyway...I am about to start putting up the money for us playing some decent games and my question is how much should the backer receive and how much should the guy not taking any loss receive? 70-30?

BRLongArm 05-20-2019 06:24 PM

The days of 50-50 split are over. Depending on your relationship with your guy and the game, most players are playing for 35-40%. That makes it a little easier on the stake horse/backer to keep him in action and absorb losses.

I would recommend to split only after all action is done, rather than after each match. It's really the only way to do it. If you are going to a tournament, chop the money after all the smoke clears at the end of the weekend.

Good luck

beatle 05-20-2019 06:25 PM

in reality is should be based on his chances of winning. more as the better the game he has. if its an even game he should not obviously be allowed to play. and if you give him 30% make sure it isnt for one match but over a certain amount of times he plays if he is ahead money. and usually if you do a 50 50 split or any deal he has to make up losses so you dont end up with him being ahead and you loser. that is a sucker deal.
only fools give a large % on each match unless it is a dead lock and cant lose.
and you only split money after a certain period of time.

overall staking someone who doesnt have their own money to put in the pot is usually a losing deal. only time it works if you are willing to lose money as a favor to the person.

when people ask me to stake them i tell them that if you cant win with your own money why would i think you could win with mine.

lll 05-20-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 257700)
in reality is should be based on his chances of winning. more as the better the game he has. if its an even game he should not obviously be allowed to play. and if you give him 30% make sure it isnt for one match but over a certain amount of times he plays if he is ahead money. and usually if you do a 50 50 split or any deal he has to make up losses so you dont end up with him being ahead and you loser. that is a sucker deal.
only fools give a large % on each match unless it is a dead lock and cant lose.
and you only split money after a certain period of time.

overall staking someone who doesnt have their own money to put in the pot is usually a losing deal. only time it works if you are willing to lose money as a favor to the person.

when people ask me to stake them i tell them that if you cant win with your own money why would i think you could win with mine.

what if they dont have any money??

beatle 05-20-2019 10:43 PM

if they dont have money then they are not winning gamblers. they may shoot well but that is the smallest part of winning money at gambling.

you can take them by the hand and force them to only play winning games and mange their lives but is that worth it. if it is a great friend then maybe so.

but a person who cant keep his own money will find a way to lose yours as well unless you keep him in your sight all the time.

BRLongArm 05-20-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 257710)
if they dont have money then they are not winning gamblers. they may shoot well but that is the smallest part of winning money at gambling.

you can take them by the hand and force them to only play winning games and mange their lives but is that worth it. if it is a great friend then maybe so.

but a person who cant keep his own money will find a way to lose yours as well unless you keep him in your sight all the time.

Most of the greatest players in the world are broke most of the time. Just because they are great at pool doesn't mean they don't go off to everything else. To each his own, but a broke pool player is the norm, not the exception.

beatle 05-20-2019 11:22 PM

yea and all of those are not going to be playing with my money. i might make a side bet if the game is right but not be part of their action. why would i want to.
i can gamble for as high as i want myself and control the situation to my liking.

sappo 05-21-2019 01:28 AM

Anyone who puts up all of the money and gets back less than 100% of the bet is either a sucker or someone who doesn't like money!!! Why would you knowingly take the worst side of any bet??

Scrzbill 05-21-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sappo (Post 257720)
Anyone who puts up all of the money and gets back less than 100% of the bet is either a sucker or someone who doesn't like money!!! Why would you knowingly take the worst side of any bet??

Your statement is confusing. Do you mean the player receives nothing?

Scrzbill 05-21-2019 06:37 AM

Maybe Iím doing it wrong because Iím known as a stuck horse. After time, food, lodging, Iím lucky to break even after winning.