Walking with giants, jersey red

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
He won the world invitational 9 ball championship in 68 in Houston Texas. What a magnificent player Jersey Red was!

He played all games at a world class level, in other words as good as anybody and I do mean anybody!

Watched him play Tall Jeff for a couple of days even 9 ball with out a winner. But that was in 69 maybe, Jeff's game stepped up a touch after that and by 71 Jeff was literally unbeatable at nine ball.

No doubt Jersey red was the second best one holer back in the day behind Ronnie Allen and trust me people, that ain't bad, LOL.

At my best I was only his equal if that, but in both of our prime I have to concede to Jersey Red as the better player for he played at an elite level for many years and that qualifies him as one of a handful of best ever players and if you threw in the gift of GAB, he was the Best ever! hahaha.

I watched him play Ronnie Allen one hole at a thousand a set back in 68, watched him give Greg Stevens 9-8 for two years, Greg never won but he would come back for more every month or so.

I studied Red's game every time he played and learned quick from watching a master at his craft.

The only reason I became the player that was capable of winning Johnston City was being able to watch Jersey Red perform every week or so in downtown Houston, I seen a clinic on pocket billiards and had a front row seat!

To be a great player you have to have a great teacher and Jersey Red was as good as it gets! He is a GIANT!

beatle

Verified Member
he was better than ronnie on a 5 by 10 and also better than anyone playing where it was humid. but as with all sports the very top ones equally beat each other on a given day depending on equipment changes.

thanks for your memories keith

Maxwell

Verified Member
Kieth, it's always great to hear your stories and I always like to hear your talk about playing in the midwest. I'm in California now and most people I talk to have never heard of Greg Stevens. I tell them about what a player he was but having never heard of him they are unimpressed. Too bad, he entertained me and others many times in my youth.