Rules question

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Ok so two guys asked me the following one pocket question this week and I wasn’t sure. Here’s the scenario... all balls are uptable behind the headstring (no Grady rule obviously). Player A scratches and puts a penny up because he owes one. Player B comes to the table with nothing in front of the line to shoot. Does a ball get spotted or does he need to kick at a ball?? My thought was he will likely have to kick at one but that’s just a guess. Is there a rule for this and what say you?? Thanks.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I think kick too Mitch, but they keep changing rules so it might be different now.
We might refer to our esteemed colleague Steve Booth.
Point of order Mr Chairman! Sorry been watching too many hearings~T

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Nope -- a ball spots up.
9.5 In the event of a scratch with the offending player having no balls to spot when all of the balls are located behind the head string, the ball nearest the head string may be spotted at the request of the incoming player. If two or more balls are equally close to the head string, the highest numbered ball would be spotted.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The ball closest to the head string gets spotted
If 2 balls are equal closest the higher number ball get spotted,,,,,NOT CORRECT
EDIT....SHOOTER GETS TO PICK WHICH BALL TO SPOT
see official rule below
This my recollection so
Icbw
I will try to find the rule when i have time later
As an aside if you were spotting someone no scratches count in that scenario then I’m not sure if a ball get spotted since he does not owe one

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i edited my post above since it seems the shooter can pick which equi distant ball to spot
WPA rule 1.5 which says in part:

When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.

jokerley

From
mem tn
I think kick too Mitch, but they keep changing rules so it might be different now.
We might refer to our esteemed colleague Steve Booth.
Point of order Mr Chairman! Sorry been watching too many hearings~T

spotting seems right to me I would hate to have to kick that far to get safe seems like a penalty for the non-offending player.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
from our rules
9.5 In the event of a scratch with the offending player having no balls to spot when all of the balls are located behind the head string, the ball nearest the head string may be spotted at the request of the incoming player. If two or more balls are equally close to the head string, the highest numbered ball would be spotted.
from wpa rules
WPA rule 1.5 which says in part:

When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.
steve
since there is a difference in the 2 rules should we say in our rules something along the lines of
wpa states its the shooters choice of which ball to spot if there are 2 balls equi-distance from the head line
but many rooms play that the highest numbered thats closest to the headl line ball gets spotted
just asking??