AllOutPool One-Pocket Tourney - Hollywood, FL

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
The next 1-Pocket tourney (AllOutPool tour stop #10) will be held on October 20th at Lucky 7 Billiards in Hollywood, FL. If you're within striking range, come and play.

Attachments

• Lucky7-1P.jpg
    Lucky7-1P.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Apologies Peter for the slight-hijack, but seeing Hollywood, Fla. posted just gave me a flashback...

The last time I was in Hollywood, Fla. (playing One Pocket of course) was 18 years ago......I stopped into Gold Crown Billiards to look for/talk to Toby Sweet <<< that's a name from the past - not everybody knows what a great player Toby was...

Then I went to the action room Hollywood Billiards and wound up playing "Hollywood Randy" some One Pocket (I didn't know him at all at the time but later found out that he was a strong playing shortstop, and somewhat of a tushhog).......he won the first three games, then I won the next three to get back to even - he didn't at all like me getting back to even after he was up 3 games, he muttered some obscenities :eek: and quit the session...:lol...

I spent the next 3 months traveling through Fla. from bottom to top/east coast & west coast/Miami to Talahassee, playing One Pocket - it was a fun time.

- Ghost

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
So its October, Holloween month and as you would expect The Ghost appears. Good to see you back. Also sorry for the highjack but its the Ghost's fault.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
You hit the nail on the head.

Toby was the one who suggested playing to 6 balls to speed up the game. 9-ball player mentality. But it was a great idea, and so I adopted it as an express mode to speed up matches that go over the allotted time.

Hollywood Billiards closed down in 2012, and Gold Crown just last year.

When it comes to pool, South Florida is a snake pit. Worst place in the country.

Apologies Peter for the slight-hijack, but seeing Hollywood, Fla. posted just gave me a flashback...

The last time I was in Hollywood, Fla. (playing One Pocket of course) was 18 years ago......I stopped into Gold Crown Billiards to look for/talk to Toby Sweet <<< that's a name from the past - not everybody knows what a great player Toby was...

Then I went to the action room Hollywood Billiards and wound up playing "Hollywood Randy" some One Pocket (I didn't know him at all at the time but later found out that he was a strong playing shortstop, and somewhat of a tushhog).......he won the first three games, then I won the next three to get back to even - he didn't at all like me getting back to even after he was up 3 games, he muttered some obscenities :eek: and quit the session...:lol...

I spent the next 3 months traveling through Fla. from bottom to top/east coast & west coast/Miami to Talahassee, playing One Pocket - it was a fun time.

- Ghost

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

- Ghost

welcome back Ghost!

Wish I could play in these Peter, would love to play!

Added to the events calendar

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

- Ghost

Bruce,

Isn't it funny how small the pool world actually is, and even when we don't actually make a connection we have narrow misses.

I lived in the Pompano Beach area for about 25 yrs and was there in 2000 when you traveled through. I know who Toby Sweet was, saw him play a little. He was legendary in South Florida. He also had a little room in Hollywood for a while.

I played at that time at Q-stix in Pompano and at Hustlers in Margate, and a little at Hollywood Billiards. Played a lot of Golf on snooker and golf tables in the area.

Sorry we never ran into each other, I would'a loved to introduce you to Golf.:heh:heh (not at one pocket):lol

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Then I went to the action room Hollywood Billiards and wound up playing "Hollywood Randy" some One Pocket (I didn't know him at all at the time but later found out that he was a strong playing shortstop, and somewhat of a tushhog).......he won the first three games, then I won the next three to get back to even - he didn't at all like me getting back to even after he was up 3 games, he muttered some obscenities :eek: and quit the session...:lol..

- Ghost

Another hijack:D. In the early 90’s I was playing at Hard Times in Bellflower and running pretty good on the 6 x 12 playing golf and liability snooker. Cuban Joe came in with a little thin guy who wanted to play some nine ball. I knew the guy was a player because Joe steered him to play me, but my 9 ball game wasn’t bad and I played him a set for $500 and won. He offered to play another set if we played shoot out. I played and got robbed and pulled up. Turns out it was Toby Sweet who I was told was one of the best playing shoot out nine ball.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Another hijack:D. In the early 90’s I was playing at Hard Times in Bellflower and running pretty good on the 6 x 12 playing golf and liability snooker. Cuban Joe came in with a little thin guy who wanted to play some nine ball. I knew the guy was a player because Joe steered him to play me, but my 9 ball game wasn’t bad and I played him a set for $500 and won. He offered to play another set if we played shoot out. I played and got robbed and pulled up. Turns out it was Toby Sweet who I was told was one of the best playing shoot out nine ball.

John I have not heard of “shoot out”9 ball. What are the rules?

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
I assumed he meant push out 9 ball - where you have to push/roll out off the break. Justin Bergman was looking for a game in that format a couple years ago if my memory is right. Seems like a cool idea - really eliminates the "luck" factor from 9 ball. Hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" you could push 1 time from hooks as well - made ball in hand much more rare & the game more about skill than just running road map racks.

John

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I assumed he meant push out 9 ball - where you have to push/roll out off the break. Justin Bergman was looking for a game in that format a couple years ago if my memory is right. Seems like a cool idea - really eliminates the "luck" factor from 9 ball. Hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" you could push 1 time from hooks as well - made ball in hand much more rare & the game more about skill than just running road map racks.

John

I grew up playing push-out nine ball as a teenager outside of Chicago, and I could be wrong (it was so long ago), but as I remember it we could push out at ANY time. After the push out, the opponent had a choice of shooting or giving the shot back the guy that pushed out.

On that next shot after the push out, whoever takes it, any foul resulted in ball in hand.

That's how I remember it. Lot's of strategy and not much luck involved. Nine ball was a much better game then.:)

beatle

Verified Member
it wasnt so much as taking the luck out it made the game more a thinking mans game rather than just pocketing balls over and over,.

players could also stall and keep games going and get played with. now after one or two games you have a complete line on him and the game is over if you arent a sucker.

bad players liked it as they didnt automatically lose when they were hooked. they could roll out and get to shoot again. 9 ball was fun for them.

you could use an opponents weaknesses against him,,, where as with ball in hand its just each player to himself at the table and who wins is who is the straightest shooter.

top players still ran out so no big difference but ruined the game for gambling with bad players.

johnny jansco started ball in hand and called it texas express for the johnson city tournaments to make it go faster. for the top pros it was fine. but it spread as people are lemmings and play whatever the top players play and do.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
it wasnt so much as taking the luck out it made the game more a thinking mans game rather than just pocketing balls over and over,.

players could also stall and keep games going and get played with. now after one or two games you have a complete line on him and the game is over if you arent a sucker.

bad players liked it as they didnt automatically lose when they were hooked. they could roll out and get to shoot again. 9 ball was fun for them.

you could use an opponents weaknesses against him,,, where as with ball in hand its just each player to himself at the table and who wins is who is the straightest shooter.

top players still ran out so no big difference but ruined the game for gambling with bad players.

johnny jansco started ball in hand and called it texas express for the johnson city tournaments to make it go faster. for the top pros it was fine. but it spread as people are lemmings and play whatever the top players play and do.

Who the hell is, 'Johnny Jansco?' :confused: Could you possibly mean, Paulie & George Jansco?

beatle

Verified Member
pauli,s real name was joe jansco. he didnt like that so much so didnt use it. but his friends and people that knew him, lots of them also called him johnny.
now you know the rest of the story.

george was a bookmaker and died before 1970 and i didnt get to know him.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I grew up playing push-out nine ball as a teenager outside of Chicago, and I could be wrong (it was so long ago), but as I remember it we could push out at ANY time. After the push out, the opponent had a choice of shooting or giving the shot back the guy that pushed out.

On that next shot after the push out, whoever takes it, any foul resulted in ball in hand.

That's how I remember it. Lot's of strategy and not much luck involved. Nine ball was a much better game then.:)
Seems to me that the pros used to play that you could roll out (push out) at any time. I think it was John McChesney who started using Texas Express rules in the National 9-ball Tour in the early 1980s. He, along with Randy Goettlicher and Robin Adair had formed the Texas Express Promotion Group. Soon, push out 9-ball became a thing of the past, which has ruined the game.

I don't recall how we played 9-ball in Pittsburgh when I was growing up (maybe Cardone remembers), but by the time I moved to L.A. in the late '60s, the common form of push out was that you could roll out anytime you could not see the full object ball. Looking back I prefer that rule because it takes away all those lucky hooks that your opponent accidentally leaves. It was much more of a shot maker's game.

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Seems to me that the pros used to play that you could roll out (push out) at any time. I think it was John McChesney who started using Texas Express rules in the National 9-ball Tour in the early 1980s. He, along with Randy Goettlicher and Robin Adair had formed the Texas Express Promotion Group. Soon, push out 9-ball became a thing of the past, which has ruined the game.

I don't recall how we played 9-ball in Pittsburgh when I was growing up (maybe Cardone remembers), but by the time I moved to L.A. in the late '60s, the common form of push out was that you could roll out anytime you could not see the full object ball. Looking back I prefer that rule because it takes away all those lucky hooks that your opponent accidentally leaves. It was much more of a shot maker's game.

~Doc

Yes Doc.. We called it playing 'Two Foul Roll Out'.. Push out any time.. But then there was a while where they went to the old 'One Foul Tournament Rules'.. This was when balls off the table or balls that went down on a foul would spot up and incoming player got ball in hand behind the line. You could only push out after the break.. I remember going to a major tournament as late as 91 and they were still playing that way..

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Funny how a One-Pocket tournament post turned into a thread about 9-Ball. You guys, of all people. LOL!!!

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
No, it's alright. All input is welcome and entertaining. Long-time friends of Toby's enjoyed that story in the pool room yesterday.

Sorry about my hijack, but that’s what you get from a bunch of old people.:D We are all over the place.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
The 16-player One-Pocket tournament at Lucky 7 Billiards in Hollywood, FL is this Saturday.

We have 16 players as of now. Thank you all for coming through and showing support. If anyone wishes to play or go on the waiting list (if it does stay filled up), just let me know. I'm also willing to give up my spot.

1. Randy Eperson
2. Peter Ghostine
3. Francisco Diaz
4. Chad Scarborough
5. Joe Pena
6. Felix Luna
7. Howie Salstein
8. John DiToro
9. Donny Branson
10. Romeo Torres
11. Greg Knight
12. Jimmy Gestwicki
13. Tony Catanese
14. Nick Principe
15. Tom Wirth
16. Eric Shpiller

The entry fee is $100, with $300 of added money guaranteed by the pool room. Based on a full field, the payout will be:

1st. $700 / 2nd. $500 / 3rd. $375 / 4th. $275

Last edited: