Tournament Report and feedback

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I think i speak for all of us that were involved in this tournament from start to finish saying we had a great time! Thanks to everybody who helped out from start to finish. Thanks to Bill Rowsey, Todd, Chuck, John L. , Jeanne L. , Dustin and Matt. I know i was kinda of the guy who was put out front on this, but it took a whole group of us to put this all this together. The amount of time and money spent to make this simple 16 player event a success was second to none!

Special thanks to Bill Rowsey. Your a lot of fun and a great room owner sir!!! Just get more of those BIGGER buckets of High Life next time sir! lol

A few things for your consideration and feedback.

The format: 3/2 races and using the Grady rule. I really liked the 3/2 races opposed to the 3/3 we have been accustomed too. The reason being we got done early both days. Lets face it. Over half of our entries in these are generally retired folks or people over 60. Why we continue to make ourselves suffer playing in iron man events in the regular members tournament is beyond me. Getting done both days by 8:00 pm with most matches ending before 6:00 pm really made this fun instead of a grind. I think most of us stayed around to mingle or match up after the last matches of the day and that was certainly fun!!! In the greater pool community, running a tournament into well after 12 am every single time on Sunday is considered a poorly organized event. JMO. Any feedback pros/cons on the 3/2 races by the players in our Southaven event would be appreciated.

Grady rule: We chose not to use the Grady rule on the B side unless at the end of 2 hours only one game had been played. With the race to 2 it was never needed... We never used it during a game, only when a game was started AFTER the 2 hour time limit. As for the winners side it only came into play once or maybe twice although several matches were over the time limit and into that format. We never had a match go over 3 hours at this one. Feedback by the players on using this would be appreciated.

Banks: Having a open bank event let us mingle with the locals more and was a good thing for us AND the owners. We had a big crowd of sweaters for the banks watching their locals match up against us! But with the lack of participation by our members(8 of 20) i'm thinking next time we should have a OPEN single elimination race to 2 one pocket instead of banks. It might be a better choice. I am certainly proud our members that came in 2nd and 4th in the banks. It was a tough field of locals for sure. It took the best over all player in Memphis to best our top guy... Feed back on a open mini before each members tournament would be appreciated.

I want to thank everybody who complimented me on my play/finish as well as my tournament director/auctioneer duties. It was a very difficult task to juggle indeed! Also a huge thanks to the players who had enough faith in us and our format, that they would spend their time and money to come hang out with us and sell it out almost immediately !!! Thanks everybody!!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like you and all the others had fun John, glad you could do it and just sorry I missed it!

Still waiting to see more pics for those who took some!

3/2 would be fine with me if we decided to go that route. i don't normally play in banks but if it we held during the same time frame and i could do both, I would try it! These may make more sense during the regional style tourneys where there are less players and you have more time and tables to hold it, but yea, I would try. :)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I think i speak for all of us that were involved in this tournament from start to finish saying we had a great time! Thanks to everybody who helped out from start to finish. Thanks to Bill Rowsey, Todd, Chuck, John L. , Jeanne L. , Dustin and Matt. I know i was kinda of the guy who was put out front on this, but it took a whole group of us to put this all this together. The amount of time and money spent to make this simple 16 player event a success was second to none!

Special thanks to Bill Rowsey. Your a lot of fun and a great room owner sir!!! Just get more of those BIGGER buckets of High Life next time sir! lol

A few things for your consideration and feedback.

The format: 3/2 races and using the Grady rule. I really liked the 3/2 races opposed to the 3/3 we have been accustomed too. The reason being we got done early both days. Lets face it. Over half of our entries in these are generally retired folks or people over 60. Why we continue to make ourselves suffer playing in iron man events in the regular members tournament is beyond me. Getting done both days by 8:00 pm with most matches ending before 6:00 pm really made this fun instead of a grind. I think most of us stayed around to mingle or match up after the last matches of the day and that was certainly fun!!! In the greater pool community, running a tournament into well after 12 am every single time on Sunday is considered a poorly organized event. JMO. Any feedback pros/cons on the 3/2 races by the players in our Southaven event would be appreciated.

Grady rule: We chose not to use the Grady rule on the B side unless at the end of 2 hours only one game had been played. With the race to 2 it was never needed... We never used it during a game, only when a game was started AFTER the 2 hour time limit. As for the winners side it only came into play once or maybe twice although several matches were over the time limit and into that format. We never had a match go over 3 hours at this one. Feedback by the players on using this would be appreciated.

Banks: Having a open bank event let us mingle with the locals more and was a good thing for us AND the owners. We had a big crowd of sweaters for the banks watching their locals match up against us! But with the lack of participation by our members(8 of 20) i'm thinking next time we should have a OPEN single elimination race to 2 one pocket instead of banks. It might be a better choice. I am certainly proud our members that came in 2nd and 4th in the banks. It was a tough field of locals for sure. It took the best over all player in Memphis to best our top guy... Feed back on a open mini before each members tournament would be appreciated.

I want to thank everybody who complimented me on my play/finish as well as my tournament director/auctioneer duties. It was a very difficult task to juggle indeed! Also a huge thanks to the players who had enough faith in us and our format, that they would spend their time and money to come hang out with us and sell it out almost immediately !!! Thanks everybody!!!

Great job and I really wish I could have made it!

I still prefer 3/3 to 3/2 for the members' tournament, with Grady rules for clock management as needed.

Even if you didn't use the Grady rules, they might have still had a benefit. Just the possibility of applying them might have helped cut back on a few breaks, excessively long thinking, etc.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
No offense guys. But I think we can have better feedback about the 3/2 / Grady /earlier finish times at night from people who participated.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
No offense guys. But I think we can have better feedback about the 3/2 / Grady /earlier finish times at night from people who participated.

Sorry, I should clarify that I was talking about the larger post-Memorial Day members' tournament, which was a bit off topic.

I wanted to go to yours, so I obviously had no objection to a 3/2 format there. And I especially wouldn't object about your tournament since I wasn't there. In fact, I really like the idea of shorter regional tournaments like this one and hope to play in the next one that happens east of the Mississippi.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
If you don’t go to one of these one pocket events sponsored by the guys you are missing out. You get to test yourself against different style of one pocket from across the country. Some of the guys are definitely shooters, Ben, mike and Robert are definitely in that category. Movers like me, Jason and John slide the cue around to try and gain advantage.

The Grady rule is okay, but is an advantage to the mover who is behind in the ball count and needs to get balls in play. Seeing four balls in the kitchen and being able to move the fifth and cue ball to your advantage is a strong move that can swing a game quickly.

Having a banks mini the first night was fun but goodness it cuts down on your rest for the next day.

I had a blast, got to play Mike some nine ball bank, John was sneaky good and got me stuck in one pocket. This little tournament definitely did what I wanted, it gave me a test among friends who can play to show me if the work on my own to improve was doing any good. It also showed me some things I definitely need to get to work on before derby this year.

The one thing I learned this last week about myself is it is easy to get into the opponents rhythm and not your own. I was losing in a match and was trying to figure it out when I thought about the speed of play. I was shooting just as fast as my opponent, who was a shooter, and not taking the time to look at my ability to play safe and smart to try and lesson his ability. This in itself was an epiphany for me and worth the price of admission.

Mike Eck played great this week congrats are definitely in order. Great to see all the guys again.

Flip the coin let’s play some.

B

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry, I should clarify that I was talking about the larger post-Memorial Day members' tournament, which was a bit off topic.

I wanted to go to yours, so I obviously had no objection to a 3/2 format there. And I especially wouldn't object about your tournament since I wasn't there. In fact, I really like the idea of shorter regional tournaments like this one and hope to play in the next one that happens east of the Mississippi.

me too! :eek:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

No problem. I think your comment about the Grady rule was on point. The reason for the Feedback on both subjects is to see what the members who played thought about it... The next one in Memphis will most likely be a 32 player. It might even carry over into the traveling tournament if the feedback seems positive and a vote is positive for it.
I've been personally pushing for a 3/2 format in the traveling tournament for a while to help the late finishes...

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
If you don’t go to one of these one pocket events sponsored by the guys you are missing out. You get to test yourself against different style of one pocket from across the country. Some of the guys are definitely shooters, Ben, mike and Robert are definitely in that category. Movers like me, Jason and John slide the cue around to try and gain advantage.

The Grady rule is okay, but is an advantage to the mover who is behind in the ball count and needs to get balls in play. Seeing four balls in the kitchen and being able to move the fifth and cue ball to your advantage is a strong move that can swing a game quickly.

Having a banks mini the first night was fun but goodness it cuts down on your rest for the next day.

I had a blast, got to play Mike some nine ball bank, John was sneaky good and got me stuck in one pocket. This little tournament definitely did what I wanted, it gave me a test among friends who can play to show me if the work on my own to improve was doing any good. It also showed me some things I definitely need to get to work on before derby this year.

The one thing I learned this last week about myself is it is easy to get into the opponents rhythm and not your own. I was losing in a match and was trying to figure it out when I thought about the speed of play. I was shooting just as fast as my opponent, who was a shooter, and not taking the time to look at my ability to play safe and smart to try and lesson his ability. This in itself was an epiphany for me and worth the price of admission.

Mike Eck played great this week congrats are definitely in order. Great to see all the guys again.

Flip the coin let’s play some.

B

Says the guy who kept me up all night the day before because he wouldn't let me quit...lol

I watched the video of me playing Mike and i did the same darn thing. I think i still moved pretty good and shot a lot of correct shots, but didn't take my time on my pre shot routine. It cost me lessening my ball striking ability and i had plenty of mis-hits and incorrect speed... I'm usually pretty fast anyway, but i was following his lead...Not good... After watching that video, darn i looked bad and i see i have lots of things to work on...

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
One idea I'd like to see tried at one of these smaller tournaments (or even the Miller Invitational) is Cory's round robin format. It was such a blast playing the rotating doubles Saturday night. I think it would be really cool in a group like ours to let all the members play each other once - which is never gonna be feasible in a normal tournament atmosphere. Just my 2 cents - this was my pipe dream back in March, and John & Dustin made it come true in spades. Thanks again guys -

John

chicagomike

Verified Member
Says the guy who kept me up all night the day before because he wouldn't let me quit...lol

I watched the video of me playing Mike and i did the same darn thing. I think i still moved pretty good and shot a lot of correct shots, but didn't take my time on my pre shot routine. It cost me lessening my ball striking ability and i had plenty of mis-hits and incorrect speed... I'm usually pretty fast anyway, but i was following his lead...Not good... After watching that video, darn i looked bad and i see i have lots of things to work on...

Is there somewhere to see this video of us playing? I would love to watch it. Also I think one thing I picked up in this tournament was a little better shot section than normal and trying to hold off on the flyers. That for me was difficult to do, but it’s amazing how holding off on a few shots can potentially change the outcome of the game.

I thought the format was fine and the local 1p tournaments I have played in are always race to 2 on the losers side. I’m not sure about the Grady rule and can’t say much about it since I have never had to use it in tournament play.

chicagomike

Verified Member
One idea I'd like to see tried at one of these smaller tournaments (or even the Miller Invitational) is Cory's round robin format. It was such a blast playing the rotating doubles Saturday night. I think it would be really cool in a group like ours to let all the members play each other once - which is never gonna be feasible in a normal tournament atmosphere. Just my 2 cents - this was my pipe dream back in March, and John & Dustin made it come true in spades. Thanks again guys -

John

This sounds like fun!

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I think everything went very smooth in your 3/2 format
As to the mini banks/one pocket if you go to 32 man main you won’t have time for it. You’d need to start Fri night. But if you did a mini that room loves one hole. You’d get more interest from the locals I think. I know of prolly 10- 15 more that we’re in the room Fri that would have prolly played if it was 1pkt. Me included. Just my 2 pennies~T

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I'm not a big fan of the Grady Rule as implemented. I would prefer that the fifth ball forces the highest ball(s) to the spot. Bringing down the whole train is too game altering.

Otherwise I really liked the way it went with a small tweak. Winner of the A-Side should get the break in the finals....hmmmm I wonder who that was? I lost 5 flips in a row. Next time I bring Canadian Quarters.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I'm not a big fan of the Grady Rule as implemented. I would prefer that the fifth ball forces the highest ball(s) to the spot. Bringing down the whole train is too game altering.

Otherwise I really liked the way it went with a small tweak. Winner of the A-Side should get the break in the finals....hmmmm I wonder who that was? I lost 5 flips in a row. Next time I bring Canadian Quarters.

I like the first break idea for the finals A side winner. I have seen it used before and think its fair with a single race to 4

chicagomike

Verified Member

I agree the winner on the A side should automatically get the opening break of the final match. I would have been on board if someone would have suggested it... you make a very good point Nick.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

In any 1P tournament there should always be lags for the breaks. In short races, the first break is an advantage. If 1P is to be considered a game of skill, then flipping a coin should not be a part of it.

I always used lagging for tournaments where I've TD'd. They use lags at the Seniors' events, and also at the DCC. IMO the only exception would be in a single race final, where the winner of the winner's side is awarded the first break.

~Doc

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
In any 1P tournament there should always be lags for the breaks. In short races, the first break is an advantage. If 1P is to be considered a game of skill, then flipping a coin should not be a part of it.

I always used lagging for tournaments where I've TD'd. They use lags at the Seniors' events, and also at the DCC. IMO the only exception would be in a single race final, where the winner of the winner's side is awarded the first break.

~Doc
In retrospect we should have chosen the lag option. I believe we gave the players the choice but I prefer the lag option myself.

chicagomike

Verified Member

~Doc

Good call Doc