Anyone Ever Pocketed a Ball For 1 Million?

El Chapo

Verified Member
I thought this was an interesting topic, because besides the whole Strickland package fiasco, I could not think of a time pool players have played under pressure to the point where the stakes were one million or more, or even close.

I find the implications of that very intersting. Do others feel we can infer a lot from this?

I think this means, pressure wise, the game has not even entered its infancy. What would happen in the top 100 players today if first prize was upwards of a million? We could see a total reshaking of the rankings in my opinion. I think there are very strong players who could possibly fallmway down or even out of the top 100.

I also believe the sport actually has not, for lack of a better term, progressed to near perfection. If you take say a top Chinese diver who has just simply mastered their skill and spent all the time and training associated with being at such a level... let's call their skill leve a "10" just for discussion's sake. I feel the best pool players in the world may have reached a 7 or an 8 at best. That is a crazy thought if correct.

beatle

Verified Member
to have a million first prize the players have to put up much more entry fee like in poker. no sponsor is going to do that.

and to get that amount in fees they need to have a tournament like poker where the money isnt all taken off by the top few players. meaning having a great amount of luck involved.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Well, in pool, god bless them, "pro" tournaments are essentially completely ridiculous. It is just one pool player putting money into another players pocket. Net gain... 0 (it is actually negative because the rooms have got to be compensated).

What is an entry fee on the pga?

But yeah, whatever the case, I was just saying I feel it is remarkable in many ways the sport has simply not seen an actual, high pressure situation, at least relative to other sports. If these guys were playing for amounts say 100 times the purses they are currently playing for, it would be the most intriguing thing in the world as far as i am concerned, as we would see the true cream rise to the top in my opinion.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if the purses for winning are in the millions on a regular basis (like in golf or grand slams in tennis ) dont you think the players get somewhat immune to the amount they are playing for??

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
to have a million first prize the players have to put up much more entry fee like in poker. no sponsor is going to do that.

and to get that amount in fees they need to have a tournament like poker where the money isnt all taken off by the top few players. meaning having a great amount of luck involved.

The 3C Invitational event held in last August in this country had NO entry fee! The total purse was 680K!

El Chapo

Verified Member
if the purses for winning are in the millions on a regular basis (like in golf or grand slams in tennis ) dont you think the players get somewhat immune to the amount they are playing for??

I think a couple of things would happen:

1) people would prepare more, so we would see better play, maybe even much better play.
2) the truly best players would be winning. For example, who wins right now? Largely Filipinos. Guess what, that is because 10,000 usd in their country is an actual good payday, so many of the effects I am talking about already apply to them without any pay increases. Do we all really think the usa with its population would not dominate the philipinnes if the game attracted players by way of high purse winnings? I think people who doubt that are kidding themselves. Although nobody admires what they do in the pool workd more than me, I am just surmising what I believe would happen.