Decisions . . . Decisions

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Well all, I'm kind of in a dilemma. The Annual Members Only One Pocket Tournament is scheduled in June. Where? Not sure yet, but it looks like Philadelphia. The problem is that the 2019 US Open Golf tournament is scheduled for the 2nd week of June at Pebble Beach. Living 80 miles north of Pebble Beach it's a hop, skip and jump for me to attend.

Here's the problem. Which one should I attend? and Why?

Thanks for the inputs

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Decisions

Decisions

Very good. Never came to mind. Have to think about this one. I haven't qualified for the US Open yet.

youngstown

Verified Member

When the U.S. Open was at Oakmont I spent $200 on a ticket (and another $200 in the merch tent) and it rained and I saw about a hole and a half of play by the time I got parked and shuttled and I never got a refund. Never again!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I went to the US Open at Merion and the most fun I had was sitting at the practice area watching the guys go through their clubs to warm up. Was just behind Rory and the sound their swing makes as it contacts
the ball is just different. Awesome. It was also suuuper muddy and we barely saw much play through the crowds.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if you have never been to the us open to me its a no brainer
if you play golf and it means something to you
there will always be another members tourney you could win...:)

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
2012 US Open

2012 US Open

I went to the 2012 US Open. It was held at the Olympic Club in San Francisco. a little cool, as SF normally is, but I got to see Rory, GMac, Jim Furyk and other great players play. It was really fun as these guys made shots I couldn't believe possible. Cost was $100/day. Pebble beach should be warmer and walking a lot easier than the Olympic Club.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Well all, I'm kind of in a dilemma. The Annual Members Only One Pocket Tournament is scheduled in June. Where? Not sure yet, but it looks like Philadelphia. The problem is that the 2019 US Open Golf tournament is scheduled for the 2nd week of June at Pebble Beach. Living 80 miles north of Pebble Beach it's a hop, skip and jump for me to attend.

Here's the problem. Which one should I attend? and Why?

Thanks for the inputs

Golf is a much better game on TV than it is live. If you're not one of those people who gets off on saying "I was there," going to the member tournament would let you have your cake and eat it too.... you can record about 40 hours of the Open and watch when you get home.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I've been to the last two opens at the Olympic Club and for me, it really isn't that much fun to be jammed in amongst the teeming hordes fighting for position to crane your neck with hopes that you will see something incredible. I did go out there on the Wednesday practice day and that was much more illuminating and satisfying simply because the huge crowds haven't arrived yet. I'd rather go watch college players in a venue that allows you to just walk with a foursome and see every shot they hit from a few feet away.

That said, you'll get to hit more shots at the 1p.org tournament, and you can hang out with the real champions!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I went to the 2010 Open at Pebble, the one Graham McDowell won I believe...

I wouldn’t do it again... Turn the clock back about 20 years and I’d love to play Pebble Beach though, just for the thrill of it...😝

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
There’s no dilemma at all Howard, members tournament. It’s like the Kentucky Derby. Unless you can get into one of the boxes, fergitboutit. 150000 people and you may see the top of a jockeys head, if lucky. Much better on TV and the mint juleps at home are less expensive. Gaulf tournament over pool? Resign your membership.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Howard, do both! Go to a practice round then you can tell us of your experience at the members' tourney. Practice rounds are more fun any way, easier to maneuver through the smaller crowds and the players will interact with you more.

Dave

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Both?

Both?

Quite possible. However, have we confirmed the dates and venue of the 2019 Members Only Tournament yet? I thought we would be voting on it soon.

Also, the AT&T Golf tournament at Pebble Beach occurs 2nd weekend of February. Alas, no Tiger then.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Quite possible. However, have we confirmed the dates and venue of the 2019 Members Only Tournament yet? I thought we would be voting on it soon.

Also, the AT&T Golf tournament at Pebble Beach occurs 2nd weekend of February. Alas, no Tiger then.

The date has, at least, been 100% confirmed by Steve. First full weekend after Labor Day. June 7-9

youngstown

Verified Member

Howard, do both! Go to a practice round then you can tell us of your experience at the members' tourney. Practice rounds are more fun any way, easier to maneuver through the smaller crowds and the players will interact with you more.

Dave

This is the shot. Way to read the table!

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada

The only Golf I want to play is with Mr Hendo on a 12 foot snooker table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Golf is a much better game on TV than it is live. If you're not one of those people who gets off on saying "I was there," going to the member tournament would let you have your cake and eat it too.... you can record about 40 hours of the Open and watch when you get home.

LS your spot on. I was at the US Open Sr. Event a few yrs back at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, when Cabrera won it. It was when Greg Norman and Chris Evert were first still married. I wanted to see the entire event, from opening till I had enough. It was a HOT day, at altitude and it was difficult to find even a breeze unless you were on a hill top. I was impressed by how these old men got around this up/down course at 6,400 ft. elevation.
Well, that will be my last live event I will ever go too. Toooooooooooooooo slow, waiting 20 minutes at a green to finally hear the ball drop in the play area NOT. It was fun, but slow, I got there about 7 am and left at 2pm.

TV/golf, I enjoy watching the game and listening, golf, I'd rather be at the beer tent.

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Moopt

Moopt

Cory, Memorial Day is scheduled on May 27 this year. At least that's the day I get off of work on. So, the MOOPT will be the 2nd weekend after Memorial Day: June 7-9.

Nick, be careful what you ask for. Henderson's been playing great golf on the 6 X 12 lately.