OnePocket.org Forums

OnePocket.org Forums (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php)
-   Bank Pool Forum (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Learning to play Bank pool question (http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15219)

hankh 03-03-2019 11:21 AM

Learning to play Bank pool question

Howdy All;

Been playin for a while now, my Banking has always been sort of hap-hazard
at best. Have invested in the books and DVDs of The Beard and some other
Banking related educational materials from others. Each claims to be the better
of the batch. Each also ... well y'all know the routine.

I tend to be more of a visual learner but the books make for a solid form of
reinforcement and handier to tote around for me. That and a lot of practice.

So, I guess what I want to ask is what was the AHH-HA moment when y'all
realized it all came together and the puzzle pieces fell into place.

Thanks for your thoughts and surmises.

hank

crabbcatjohn 03-03-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankh (Post 253329)
Howdy All;

Been playin for a while now, my Banking has always been sort of hap-hazard
at best. Have invested in the books and DVDs of The Beard and some other
Banking related educational materials from others. Each claims to be the better
of the batch. Each also ... well y'all know the routine.

I tend to be more of a visual learner but the books make for a solid form of
reinforcement and handier to tote around for me. That and a lot of practice.

So, I guess what I want to ask is what was the AHH-HA moment when y'all
realized it all came together and the puzzle pieces fell into place.

Thanks for your thoughts and surmises.

hank

When i'm banking best, for me its when i'm focused on more precise hits on the object ball. I tend to get lazy just shooting at the angle or a spot. But when i really focus on hitting it more exact i make more shots. If you notice the top players all bank good and thats because they just hit everything with more precision. JMO John

Dennis "Whitey" Young 03-03-2019 10:19 PM

If you are having trouble seeing the angle then first try aiming straight at the object ball, and this might pop the angle out for you, then aim at to contact the ob on that angle.
This worked for me when I was having trouble picking up the angle. But usually you just see the angle once the banks start clicking for you, if not try this little tip.
Hope this helps! Whitey

hankh 03-05-2019 10:01 AM

crabbcatjohn & Dennis "Whitey" Young, Howdy;

Thanks fellas for your responses. Whitey, you mentioned " you just see the
angle once the banks start clicking for you " this is basically what I'm asking is
what was it that made the connection for you that turned on the light over your
head (like in a cartoon), and things started 'clicking'?

Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas.

hank

wgcp 03-06-2019 01:31 PM

I would have to say recognition of the different banks. The beard called them hangers. Once you see them it makes the game easier. You still have to execute them but recognition is the key.

To excel at the game you really have to have both the pocketing of the bank and the ability to control whitey at the same time. Brumback does exactly that.

If you get the chance to watch spaeth, bugs, or Busty play bank on dvd you will see what I mean. Have fun, banking is an art form of pool.

B

Dennis "Whitey" Young 03-06-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankh (Post 253495)
crabbcatjohn & Dennis "Whitey" Young, Howdy;

Thanks fellas for your responses. Whitey, you mentioned " you just see the
angle once the banks start clicking for you " this is basically what I'm asking is
what was it that made the connection for you that turned on the light over your
head (like in a cartoon), and things started 'clicking'?

Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas.

hank

Hank, for me I could always bank, from day one. Played banks everyday, I mean it was fun, especially on my table that did not reverse coming off the 2nd rail on cross side/corner banks, or double straight backs or double back banks, they were every bit as easy as a single rail bank cross side/corner, or single full table banks. Today in banks you do not see hardly any of these banks, for they are very difficult with todays cushions.

But I stop playing for decades, and when I started up again, I never really practiced banking, but joining OP I started hitting a few, and could not see them, so I used that trick of aiming directly at the ob and that seemed to make the angle pop out, and I started making some banks again.

But to answer your question, I feel I had a back ground in banks, this plus actually practicing some banks, and letting go of my thoughts and relying on my instincts, then I started seeing the banks again. I still go back to aiming first directly at the ob if I feel I am not picking up the angle, and sure enough I was off, and sometimes I double check by using the diamonds. But you will have to practice just banks, 1 hr. a day is enough to make a champion! Practice should bring about seeing the banks, but you will have to do it everyday, because it is not like when we were young and pick up stuff easily and retain it.

I think english on the cb can tremendously effect the shot also. Also the cue tip hardness has a lot of effect on banking! Know your banks, know the english, know your cue tip! There are so many different cushions out there, wow. Cushions today are highly sensitive to everything for they tend to reverse a lot, or they can throw a lot. They grab the ball more, create more spin, and add spin the more rails you play the bank, that is why the diamond system is different today than yesteryear. Speed of the shot effects the rebound tremendously on these cushions today.

The old GC's banked well, unless the cushions played soft. Whitey

hankh 03-07-2019 12:01 PM

wgcp, Howdy;

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgcp (Post 253599)
I would have to say recognition of the different banks. The beard called them hangers. Once you see them it makes the game easier. You still have to execute them but recognition is the key.

To excel at the game you really have to have both the pocketing of the bank and the ability to control whitey at the same time. Brumback does exactly that.

If you get the chance to watch spaeth, bugs, or Busty play bank on dvd you will see what I mean. Have fun, banking is an art form of pool.

B

Thanks for your thoughts, truly. I do realize that recognition is a big step in
the process and repetition (wash, rinse, repeat), go hand-in-hand to accomplishing
that part of the learning curve. Right now that curve is looking like a 60* angle.
Which is better then a 90* angle but I know it will flatten out more with practice.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and time to respond.

hank

hankh 03-07-2019 12:11 PM

Whitey, Howdy;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young (Post 253614)
Hank, for me I could always bank, from day one. Played banks everyday, I mean it was fun, especially on my table that did not reverse coming off the 2nd rail on cross side/corner banks, or double straight backs or double back banks, they were every bit as easy as a single rail bank cross side/corner, or single full table banks. Today in banks you do not see hardly any of these banks, for they are very difficult with todays cushions.

But I stop playing for decades, and when I started up again, I never really practiced banking, but joining OP I started hitting a few, and could not see them, so I used that trick of aiming directly at the ob and that seemed to make the angle pop out, and I started making some banks again.

But to answer your question, I feel I had a back ground in banks, this plus actually practicing some banks, and letting go of my thoughts and relying on my instincts, then I started seeing the banks again. I still go back to aiming first directly at the ob if I feel I am not picking up the angle, and sure enough I was off, and sometimes I double check by using the diamonds. But you will have to practice just banks, 1 hr. a day is enough to make a champion! Practice should bring about seeing the banks, but you will have to do it everyday, because it is not like when we were young and pick up stuff easily and retain it.

I think english on the cb can tremendously effect the shot also. Also the cue tip hardness has a lot of effect on banking! Know your banks, know the english, know your cue tip! There are so many different cushions out there, wow. Cushions today are highly sensitive to everything for they tend to reverse a lot, or they can throw a lot. They grab the ball more, create more spin, and add spin the more rails you play the bank, that is why the diamond system is different today than yesteryear. Speed of the shot effects the rebound tremendously on these cushions today.

The old GC's banked well, unless the cushions played soft. Whitey

Like you I've had a few times when there was no pool for several years then
spent some time to regain some of the skills and feel again.
As I mentioned in the post before this one, I need to go through the process
of recognition and work on the basics. Repetition is the key to muscle memory,
and for the brain (what's left of it), to recognize the shots/angles. There ain't
no easy way to learn it just put in the time and wash, rinse & repeat.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.
Greatly appreciated it is.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young 03-07-2019 09:51 PM

Hank,
If you haven't already done so, go down the prior bank forum threads to 'Learning to Bank by Bugs'. I felt this was very well done, and like you, in re-learning banks, I use some of his methods for it made me realize some things.
One important aspect to be aware of, is that on many of his banks you'll notice he uses the same speed. This is important because speed has a great effect upon the ob coming off the rail on most all rails. So I would suggest trying using the same speed similar to Bugs, on his various shots, or a speed that you are comfortable with.

After you get somewhat comfortable with banking free shots, such as Bugs video, another thing I believe when banking, is to play shape. Believe it or not it will really help your banks. For it gives a purpose and an added focus to the bank.

I was watching a local bar table player hitting the balls around, and you could tell his focus was on just making the ball, many beginning or novice players do this, cinch the shot. I knew he had more in him than that, so I talked to him and told him to always have a meaning for your shot, like know what shape you want on the next ball. He did that, an instantly he pocketed balls better!
Purpose & Focus! Whitey

Tobermory 03-08-2019 04:01 AM

Reading the Beard or watching the Bugs tape might help give you some ideas, but nothing works better than hitting a million practice shots. Here's a practice routine that I've used over and over, even after 40 years of playing bank pool. Set up a shot, any shot. Forget about the cue ball (for now). Hit that shot 10 times hard with center cue ball and figure out what you have to do to make it. Next, hit the same shot 10 times at pocket speed with center cue ball and figure out what you have to do to make it. Next, same shot 10 times with a medium speed stun shot.

Next, same shot hard with center running English; then pocket speed with center running English; then stun it with center running English.

Next, same shot hard with center hold up English; then pocket speed with center holdup English; then stun it with center hold up English. 10 times each. Try to pay attention to the effect the English has on the object ball, and the cue ball. Do not underestimate the effectiveness of center spin bank shots, especially at speed.

Next, same shot hard with top running English; then pocket speed with top running English; then stun it with top running English.

Next, same shot hard with low running English; then pocket speed with low running English; then stun it with low running English.

Next, same shot hard with top hold up English; then soft with top hold up English; then stun it with top hold up English.

Next, same shot hard with low holdup English; then pocket speed with low holdup English; then stun it with low holdup English.

If you're bored by now, then banks may not be your game.

If doing this routine got you excited because you found yourself on a journey of mystery and adventure, then pick another shot and do it all again. Repeat until sated for the day, and come back tomorrow and do it again.

Have fun!