Rules question

Mike

Verified Member
This question came up on a tape of a match I was watching narrated by Buddy Hall and Nick Varner. Your trying to spot a ball in a tight cluster and the ball slips out of your hand scattering the balls. It didn't happen in the match but they brought up the question and didn't have an answer.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Mike said:
This question came up on a tape of a match I was watching narrated by Buddy Hall and Nick Varner. Your trying to spot a ball in a tight cluster and the ball slips out of your hand scattering the balls. It didn't happen in the match but they brought up the question and didn't have an answer.
Well, it can't be any kind of penalty to the player trying to spot a ball, because when you are spotting a ball you are acting in the capacity of an official -- not a player at the table to shoot. That's why the out-going player spots the ball, not the incoming player, right? To answer your question, I'd say you put the balls back as best as you can -- or if the score and layout was about even before the drop, and both players agree, you could re-rack the game.

Unlike if you drop the ball when you are placing it in a ball-in-hand situation -- that would be a foul.