Does Rafael Still Play?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I talked to Sergio Gandarilla (Big Sergio) not long ago and he told me Raphael is very ill and gone home to his home town in Mexico.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
He ran into me, we had lunch during my BCA tenure at the Rivera in the early 2000's. Since he and I did go at it during 76-81 W. Coast, we became friends and had respect for one another....we both had our hands full $100 a rack 9 ball. So FF 20 years at the Rivera, he did tell me his unhappiness about his life and how it's turned out. It was a sympathy/bite....he was looking for something, he didn't know what, I didn't offer up....I just listened. Felt like he wanted a place to ''be''.

His game always reminded me of Medina, without the uppers. He couldn't beat Danny in a long haul, but he was real close to his speed when his game was at it's top. He would of needed a game on the wire going to 11 in 9 ball.

jay helfert

Verified Member
He ran into me, we had lunch during my BCA tenure at the Rivera in the early 2000's. Since he and I did go at it during 76-81 W. Coast, we became friends and had respect for one another....we both had our hands full $100 a rack 9 ball. So FF 20 years at the Rivera, he did tell me his unhappiness about his life and how it's turned out. It was a sympathy/bite....he was looking for something, he didn't know what, I didn't offer up....I just listened. Felt like he wanted a place to ''be''.

His game always reminded me of Medina, without the uppers. He couldn't beat Danny in a long haul, but he was real close to his speed when his game was at it's top. He would of needed a game on the wire going to 11 in 9 ball.

First time I ever met Rafael was in a little bar in Lawndale. He was challenging the table and all comers for $5 a game and when I got there no one else wanted to play any more. He had been robbing them all for a couple of hours when they called me. I beat him the first game and he immediately said bet $10 and I complied. Won the second game and he said bet $20 and I agreed. A $100 later I quit! ;)

Later on we played in some tournaments (Willards) and I took a liking to him, even staking him on occasion. Rafael was one of the great shot makers of this era, capable of pulling off some circus shots when necessary. He was a great One Pocket player, as well as all Rotation games and Eight Ball. He could pretty much play anything. I did well betting on him and he was playing good players like Amar, Santos and Little John. I staked him twice in the U.S. Open and both times he made the top sixteen, so we made out okay. We stayed together and he was a good room mate, paying his share and giving me my space. During the years he stayed on the West Coast he won a lot of the regional events with all the top guys in them.

But beware if he didn't like you. He was one fearless little guy who always carried a sharp knife and knew how to use it. He cut someone (a very big tough guy) at Willards one time (he will go nameless) and let him know not to mess with him, and he didn't after that.

Rafael was a lifetime pool player, traversing the country looking for action. In his later years he mostly stayed in the Northwest and Sacramento, living out of his over-sized van. Not an easy life, even for a tremendous player like him. He never really found his home and spent his life wandering. :eek:

Knuckles54

Verified Member
From
Canyonville Oregon
First time I ever met Rafael was in a little bar in Lawndale. He was challenging the table and all comers for $5 a game and when I got there no one else wanted to play any more. He had been robbing them all for a couple of hours when they called me. I beat him the first game and he immediately said bet $10 and I complied. Won the second game and he said bet $20 and I agreed. A $100 later I quit! ;)

Later on we played in some tournaments (Willards) and I took a liking to him, even staking him on occasion. Rafael was one of the great shot makers of this era, capable of pulling off some circus shots when necessary. He was a great One Pocket player, as well as all Rotation games and Eight Ball. He could pretty much play anything. I did well betting on him and he was playing good players like Amar, Santos and Little John. I staked him twice in the U.S. Open and both times he made the top sixteen, so we made out okay. We stayed together and he was a good room mate, paying his share and giving me my space. During the years he stayed on the West Coast he won a lot of the regional events with all the top guys in them.

But beware if he didn't like you. He was one fearless little guy who always carried a sharp knife and knew how to use it. He cut someone (a very big tough guy) at Willards one time (he will go nameless) and let him know not to mess with him, and he didn't after that.

Rafael was a lifetime pool player, traversing the country looking for action. In his later years he mostly stayed in the Northwest and Sacramento, living out of his over-sized van. Not an easy life, even for a tremendous player like him. He never really found his home and spent his life wandering. :eek:

Nice post Jay..... thanks

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Sorry to hear that Rafael is not doing well. Haven't heard from him in a few years although he is a good friend of mine.
He and I played together on a team back in 1990 I think it was. It was the McDermott team open held at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. It was a just get your best five players and pay your entry. Many top players were in this event, players like Dallas West, Incardona and many others.

Once after running a table of eight ball he came and sat next to me and said" I know that's not the way you would have done it" I just smiled and said no you did it the Rafa way.

In one match after the end of regulation play we were tied because of the scoring system that they used. As a tie breaker each team selected one player to play a single game to determine the winner of the match.
Most on my team wanted me to play because they felt that my game was a bit more structured than his. Well I knew who the other team was going to select and knew that he was one to play a lot of safes. I felt that it might come down to a jump shot to make the difference and I knew that no one jumped like Rafael did with his regular playing cue so I talked my team mates into playing Rafael. Sure enough it came down to a jump shot and Rafael nailed it and we won that match.

We went on to win the tournament and afterwards they called us over to take picture for one of the billiard publications. The Imperial Palace was known for a show with celebrity impersonators. The photo they wanted of our team was to have a Marilyn Monroe impersonator. They put here in the middle and Rafael positioned himself next to her. The photographer came over and asked him to move, because of his height, to the end and boy did he get pissed. I'll never forget the look on his face. Good times back then. I wish him well.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Well written Mr. Helfert, a good read indeed... I never knew him or anything about him, so the story you just told gives us all a meaningful glimpse into his life... I’m certain he had great moments along the way, but overall it sounds very sad in that he never really found a place to call home...

Hope he finds health and happiness in his later years...

I hope you find time to write some in the journal section here, I’m sure you have experienced many many wonderful moments and plenty not so wonderful moments in your journey through life, please share a few if you’re inclined..

Thanks for this one...:)

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Thanks all for sharing.
Cool to hear all the stories from those lucky enough to know him personally.
Wish him the best.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Well written Mr. Helfert, a good read indeed... I never knew him or anything about him, so the story you just told gives us all a meaningful glimpse into his life... I’m certain he had great moments along the way, but overall it sounds very sad in that he never really found a place to call home...

Hope he finds health and happiness in his later years...

I hope you find time to write some in the journal section here, I’m sure you have experienced many many wonderful moments and plenty not so wonderful moments in your journey through life, please share a few if you’re inclined..

Thanks for this one...:)

I also remember going into Daisy Maes in Santa Ana one night and seeing a very tall, good looking young man (red hair?) banging heads with Big Sergio and Al Nicarauga. This young guy had a powerful break and was giving the great Mexican players all they wanted on the bar table. I asked someone who this guy was and they told me it was Tall Jeff from Texas. Maybe you know him. :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I also remember going into Daisy Maes in Santa Ana one night and seeing a very tall, good looking young man (red hair?) banging heads with Big Sergio and Al Nicarauga. This young guy had a powerful break and was giving the great Mexican players all they wanted on the bar table. I asked someone who this guy was and they told me it was Tall Jeff from Texas. Maybe you know him. :)

Yep,
Those were fun nights...
Young, with no responsibilities, not a care in the world...
Truly a misspent youth, that I wouldn’t do differently if I could have a mulligan...

baby huey

Verified Member
I haven't seen Rafa in about 4 years. He became quite a One Pocket player usually finishing pretty high in regional events. I think he was not doing very well last I saw him. He looked very tired and his game was below expectations we all had of him. He had become very quiet over the last few years and seemed preoccupied (perhaps an illness?) but I don't know for sure. I hope he is OK and will be back with us playing those fantastic shots of his.

Wayne

Verified Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaKf5m-UIg

This is a hot seat match with me playing Raphael 2 1/2 years ago in one of the last big 1 pocket tournaments at Hardtimes Bellflower. He played very well but he acted very strangely throughout. The announcers commented a number of times on his paranoid behavior towards me where he would look over angrily after his shot. He said something a few times to me and I had no idea what he was talking about. Very weird behavior. I asked John Schmidt what was going on and he told me to just ignore him and not let him bother me. It seemed he was dealing with some demons (and somehow he was turning me into one). LOL.

He made a good comeback after his disappearance for a few years around 2005 when there was a whole thread on him being dead and other rumors (Morro and Francisco were stating he was dead but Oscar insisted it wasn't true).

Hopefully, he can make another comeback this time.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaKf5m-UIg

This is a hot seat match with me playing Raphael 2 1/2 years ago in one of the last big 1 pocket tournaments at Hardtimes Bellflower. He played very well but he acted very strangely throughout. The announcers commented a number of times on his paranoid behavior towards me where he would look over angrily after his shot. He said something a few times to me and I had no idea what he was talking about. Very weird behavior. I asked John Schmidt what was going on and he told me to just ignore him and not let him bother me. It seemed he was dealing with some demons (and somehow he was turning me into one). LOL.

He made a good comeback after his disappearance for a few years around 2005 when there was a whole thread on him being dead and other rumors (Morro and Francisco were stating he was dead but Oscar insisted it wasn't true).

Hopefully, he can make another comeback this time.

Did you know "The Rattlesnake"??? He's gone, I guess.. I liked him better. I don't mean to derail thread.. I'm going to watch that match of yours now.. I never had seen it..

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Did you know "The Rattlesnake"??? He's gone, I guess.. I liked him better. I don't mean to derail thread.. I'm going to watch that match of yours now.. I never had seen it..

Andam dressed like Little Al :eek:, and played lights out. Could handle any player anywhere under any conditions. Only played em once in Denver 20 yr ago. Couldn't beat em in match play, wanted no part of em, Medina stayed away from em.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Andam dressed like Little Al :eek:, and played lights out. Could handle any player anywhere under any conditions. Only played em once in Denver 20 yr ago. Couldn't beat em in match play, wanted no part of em, Medina stayed away from em.

Last time I saw him was in a little poolroom on Taft Ave. in central Manila (Pasay City area). I was just wandering around when I discovered this little hole in the wall with two grungy tables. I walked in and immediately got challenged to a game (they love to play foreigners). I played a local guy Rotation for 100p a game and won three games. They told me they would get someone else to play me and so I sat around and had a coke. In comes Leonardo and he sees me and just smiles. I hadn't seen him in years and we just sat and chatted awhile before I left. He was the same friendly guy I had always known him to be, but I wondered why he was hanging around a dump like this, waiting for a game to wander in.

Later on I found out from a mutual friend that Leonardo had been hooked on hard drugs for some time and was no longer playing in the big rooms around Manila. A year or so later on I got word that he had died in a motorcycle accident. He was a passenger on the bike. This was about five or six years ago.

My daughter and her mom lived in Pasay City so I visited there often. Five to ten years ago there were many little poolrooms in that area, most of them gone now. I played so much around there, mostly Rotation for 100-1,000p a game, that they began to call me the Billiard Man when they saw me. I learned to love Rotation, especially the way they played it. Once I discovered all the points were up top, I developed a winning strategy. On the low numbered balls I just tried to make combinations on the bigger balls and get a lot of balls rolling. I never tried to run out until we got to the eight or nine ball. This basic strategy allowed me to book a few winners. ;)

P.S. You would think that in a country that Efren was from that One Pocket would be a big game there. You would be wrong. You will rarely ever see a One Pocket game over there, although I introduced a few local guys to the game (and Banks as well). I had no chance playing any of them 9-Ball or Ten Ball so my only hope was to change the game. :)

Last edited: