Youngblood

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Al Sherman was a top professional thief, in every sense of the word. He made scores that were unbelievable...we're talking hundreds of thousands, many many times ... Freddie then came to me knowing that I was doing business with Al along with another man by the name of Phill Hubbard. Phill and Al were extremely tight and respected one another and Phill was my partner in Detroit during the time when the gambling in Det. was only second to Las Vegas. I went to Al along with Phill and explained to Al that Freddie was totally innocent along with Yougblood, and there wasn't any underhanded dealings of any kind...

Bill Incardona

Hubbard was from Arlington at Beenie's place ( Jack and Jill ). He was responsible for a few DC players to trip to Detroit - to name a couple Beenie himself and little Tony Holly ( black player from Guys and Dolls, the other 24hr poolroom in Silver Hill Md ). These guys did a ton of gambling and went off like rockets

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The Rack closed in 1986. Many of it's denizens started frequenting the poolroom I hung at and the action there increased for a year and a half or so.

Dennis

I was guessing on the years but I do remember that I played in The Rack and Cue in the 70's early, could of even been the late 60's. I believef they changed the name to "Capitol Billiards" don't remember when. And then changed back to "The Rack" Do you remember how that all went? Just curious, bad memory

Bill Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hubbard was from Arlington at Beenie's place ( Jack and Jill ). He was responsible for a few DC players to trip to Detroit - to name a couple Beenie himself and little Tony Holly ( black player from Guys and Dolls, the other 24hr poolroom in Silver Hill Md ). These guys did a ton of gambling and went off like rockets

I was in the Rack when Horseface Harry beat Washington Tony out of $50,000 in a very short time. Tony came in with a shaving kit full of that money. Left it with the counter man. After he and the shaving kit were empty, Tony asked for the empty little bag, picked it up and bopped out of the place.

Beard

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Was it Geese from the East Coast? He was on the road out there in California during that time period, I think.

Wish we had the pool tournaments today that there used to be. They're drying up now. So-called pro-caliber players are banned from many tournaments today, as the regional tours are geared more for the amateur or recreational shooter. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

No more tournaments, and the Internet killed the action in pool. I'm hoping something's going to happen for the better soon in pool. This Mosconi Cup coming up is exciting. I do enjoy that! :)

No, I'm sure it wasn't Geese. Pretty sure it was one of the Fusco cousins. If Youngblood is still in town then I might see him this coming Saturday at the Hard Times one pocket tournament and I'll ask him.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I was guessing on the years but I do remember that I played in The Rack and Cue in the 70's early, could of even been the late 60's. I believef they changed the name to "Capitol Billiards" don't remember when. And then changed back to "The Rack" Do you remember how that all went? Just curious, bad memory

Bill Incardona

The Rack was not my homeroom and I don't know that much about anything about it except for what happened when I was in it, which wasn't very often.

I never knew it by any other name except "The Rack" although I think the sign did say Capitol Billiards or Capitol Club.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I was in the Rack when Horseface Harry beat Washington Tony out of $50,000 in a very short time. Tony came in with a shaving kit full of that money. Left it with the counter man. After he and the shaving kit were empty, Tony asked for the empty little bag, picked it up and bopped out of the place.

Beard

Here's the link to the thread where I asked about Harry playing that match and your response: http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2495

bstroud

Verified Member
Played James many times in the 60' s.

Always fun to play with.

Bill s.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Well said...

Well said...

....Mr.I..OTOH some people would rather be a streetlight in San Francisco than the unofficial King of Detroit.It must have seemed like Christmas when you woke up each day with your stroke whether you had 2 bits or 2000 not to mention.......

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Pardon me but something that Billy Incardona said just above I don't understand so I will ask our folks that were there.

Why did anyone ever leave Detroit?

As I understand it, Red played at the Rack ALL the time. A lot like what you see in other rooms where there is the "House Pro". Taking on almost all comers from out of town.

But since the Rack was the best action in the country why didn't EVERYONE stay there?

From the descriptions I have heard, it seems like just about every player played there like Billy I, very occasionally, EXCEPT RED.

The other rooms like the one in Houston and others, it was like players gathered there and stayed around.

Thanks,

Ken

JAM

Verified Member
Pardon me but something that Billy Incardona said just above I don't understand so I will ask our folks that were there.

As I understand it, Red played at the Rack ALL the time. A lot like what you see in other rooms where there is the "House Pro". Taking on almost all comers from out of town.

But since the Rack was the best action in the country why didn't EVERYONE stay there?

From the descriptions I have heard, it seems like just about every player played there like Billy I, very occasionally, EXCEPT RED.

The other rooms like the one in Houston and others, it was like players gathered there and stayed around.

Thanks,

Ken

Because of the lure of this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnM11lkXO0[/ame]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Thanks,

Ken
On the contrary a lot of the players that played in Detroit lived there, either in motels or apartments. Pittsburgh John had an apartment in Detroit and me and several other players lived with him for months at a time, I believe in the late 70's. I also rented an apartment in Detroit later, in the 80's.

Bill Incardona