1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I watched the stream last night, in between watching Hillory lie her way through the Bengazi hearing, and none of the action you are telling us about was on the streaming table.

I hope you all will make an attempt to put some action matches on the streaming table going forward, so we may all enjoy a bit.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I watched the stream last night, in between watching Hillory lie her way through the Bengazi hearing, and none of the action you are telling us about was on the streaming table.

I hope you all will make an attempt to put some action matches on the streaming table going forward, so we may all enjoy a bit.

We tried, but that table got occupied early by a match (not one of ours) that lasted several hours and we had no luck getting them to move.

I'm confident that we will own that table for the duration, but I'm not sure how the stream will be handled while Bill has to sleep.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Made it over to Senior Central last night about 6 P.M. Henderson and R. Newkirk had been in action all afternoon. I think John ended up one game up when they packed it in. LSJohn & ScrzBill were hard at it on one of the back tables. Jeff and The Barber were in a session.

I worked the room a little to meet some of the guys I hadn't met, and to reacquaint with old friends. I played awhile on the streaming table with a local player. The pockets on it are slightly larger than the others. I'll guess 4-5/8" or so. NHJohn walked in right off the airplane, and tangled with a local young hotshot. John said the kid played real good, and that John couldn't get in gear.
Billy I. arrived and promptly started playing with Vapros (who I was happy to see that he made the trip). At one point the "Okie Doke" shot came up, so naturally Cardone shoots it, because he says to always shoot it, no matter what the circumstances.;) He made half of it --the ball from the spot-- which was followed by several minutes of bragging. In fact he was so buoyed by the shot that it'll probably carry him on to win the tournament.

Had a nice chat with Fast Eddie F. from Baltimore. He's got a million stories, and is a nice guy. Mary kinniston (sp) showed up with a few folks, all presumably from Florida. She's a great gal, and is a very good player. She was bragging on Tom Wirth. I asked her if she was sure she meant OUR Tom Wirth??:D

I finally left about 10, with my eyes drooping. The normal 6 hour drive had taken 7 due to hangups on the I-10.:(

Players meeting at either 10:30 or 11:00 today, depending upon who's telling it. Ogburn evidently is a late drop-out, which it too bad. I believe one or two locals have signed up, so there should be 17-18 players.

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Made it over to Senior Central last night about 6 P.M. Henderson and R. Newkirk had been in action all afternoon. I think John ended up one game up when they packed it in. LSJohn & ScrzBill were hard at it on one of the back tables. Jeff and The Barber were in a session.

I worked the room a little to meet some of the guys I hadn't met, and to reacquaint with old friends. I played awhile on the streaming table with a local player. The pockets on it are slightly larger than the others. I'll guess 4-5/8" or so. NHJohn walked in right off the airplane, and tangled with a local young hotshot. John said the kid played real good, and that John couldn't get in gear.
Billy I. arrived and promptly started playing with Vapros (who I was happy to see that he made the trip). At one point the "Okie Doke" shot came up, so naturally Cardone shoots it, because he says to always shoot it, no matter what the circumstances.;) He made half of it --the ball from the spot-- which was followed by several minutes of bragging. In fact he was so buoyed by the shot that it'll probably carry him on to win the tournament.

Had a nice chat with Fast Eddie F. from Baltimore. He's got a million stories, and is a nice guy. Mary kinniston (sp) showed up with a few folks, all presumably from Florida. She's a great gal, and is a very good player. She was bragging on Tom Wirth. I asked her if she was sure she meant OUR Tom Wirth??:D

I finally left about 10, with my eyes drooping. The normal 6 hour drive had taken 7 due to hangups on the I-10.:(

Players meeting at either 10:30 or 11:00 today, depending upon who's telling it. Ogburn evidently is a late drop-out, which it too bad. I believe one or two locals have signed up, so there should be 17-18 players.

~Doc

Good initial report Doc...and I think we can count on you to keep posting them up regularly...:heh...

Thanks for this one, and for your ongoing posting :), Ghost

PS, And since this thread is pretty bulky...maybe you should start a new one called "Doc's tournament blog", or some-such.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Great details guys! Thanks!! Keep it coming. So.. The two guys on the stream before it ended weren't our guys? I was guessing one was tall Jeff and not sure about the guy with the hat.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Stream is on. Time to stop yappin' and start shootin'. Nap time is coming soon! And those bathroom breaks aren't going to take themselves.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the bracket.

Good luck everyone!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, we've knocked off for tonight. It starts again tomorrow at 11:00. Winner's side matches: Christopher/Schroeder, John Smith/Byron Cook, Casey Killian/Incardona, and Henderson/Sparks.

Loser's side: GulfportDoc/Fast Eddie, LeBlanc/McFarrin, Buddy Hall/Alan Cain, and Rizzo/Almanza. I heard that the bracket photo is posted up on Facebook by the T.D., Bill Fuller. I don't know which website. Perhaps Bogies?

Don't know if Hendy has updated. He brought ScrzBill back from the hospital, and Bill is in bed. Evidently he has gastro-enteritis, so he was given some antibiotics. With luck he'll be in good enough shape tomorrow to show them how to get sound for y'all. Even so, there may not be any commentary. Just depends if they can find a place out of ear shot to have a booth. There's really not room for it. But hopefully updates will be available.

Casey had a nice win over Buddy Hall. Frank lost 4-2 in a long match to James Christopher. Frank moves great, but James is a lethal shot maker. I pick James to win the event. He has few weaknesses, and makes very few mistakes. I think he made only 3 mistakes in the four games against me. Unfortunately I made about 10-12-- several at key points. Didn't play all that bad, but you don't have a lot of air with Christopher.

Christopher was high bid in the Calcutta. Buddy was 3rd. Don't recall who was 2nd. Probably Bill I. They'll pay 4 Calcutta places; 8 for the tournament. Very generous.

NH John Smith is having a good tournament, as is Jeff Sparks. We'll see what shakes outta the tree tomorrow....

~Doc

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Well, we've knocked off for tonight. It starts again tomorrow at 11:00. Winner's side matches: Christopher/Schroeder, John Smith/Byron Cook, Casey Killian/Incardona, and Henderson/Sparks.

Loser's side: GulfportDoc/Fast Eddie, LeBlanc/McFarrin, Buddy Hall/Alan Cain, and Rizzo/Almanza. I heard that the bracket photo is posted up on Facebook by the T.D., Bill Fuller. I don't know which website. Perhaps Bogies?

Don't know if Hendy has updated. He brought ScrzBill back from the hospital, and Bill is in bed. Evidently he has gastro-enteritis, so he was given some antibiotics. With luck he'll be in good enough shape tomorrow to show them how to get sound for y'all. Even so, there may not be any commentary. Just depends if they can find a place out of ear shot to have a booth. There's really not room for it. But hopefully updates will be available.

Casey had a nice win over Buddy Hall. Frank lost 4-2 in a long match to James Christopher. Frank moves great, but James is a lethal shot maker. I pick James to win the event. He has few weaknesses, and makes very few mistakes. I think he made only 3 mistakes in the four games against me. Unfortunately I made about 10-12-- several at key points. Didn't play all that bad, but you don't have a lot of air with Christopher.

Christopher was high bid in the Calcutta. Buddy was 3rd. Don't recall who was 2nd. Probably Bill I. They'll pay 4 Calcutta places; 8 for the tournament. Very generous.

NH John Smith is having a good tournament, as is Jeff Sparks. We'll see what shakes outta the tree tomorrow....

~Doc

thanks for the update doc. caught part of your match. that third rack was a good game. sounds like you guys are having a good time!
:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I had my most embarrassing moment in pool today. After Byron Cook came all the way from Sacramento to kick my ass (that wasn't the embarrassing part, we all expected that, right?) I played a local and Dr. Bill watched us play the first game for about 20 minutes and finally he asked me, "Which pocket is yours?" :eek: :frus :D

I'm havin' a ball. Some of you 68 and 69-year-olds better start gettin' in stroke now. You won't want to miss it. I met all the guys and they are a great bunch... all except Dr. Bill, of course. We know what a prick he is. :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
By the way, I also met David, a younger guy who is the owner of Bogies. I guess it goes without saying that he's behind us as much as John Rizzo is. We're very fortunate to have these two guys on board for this event and talking already about future years.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

~Doc

Bill is still very sick Doc, doubt if he will leave the room today, that is nasty stuff.

You are right about the sound. When we are using eight tables there is no palace to set up without being too close to some of the players. We will have the stream without sound again today. I can't set it up without Bill there anyway and he won't be there.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Sounds like a blast, John.

Wow. Please tell Bill we hope he feels better.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The guy covering the streaming for Bill said 3 PM. The other winner's side match also at 3 PM is our own JohninNH vs calcutta favorite James Christopher

Yeah Steve...I believe we may be the only ones that know that N.H. John shoots real straight and banks very good - his only downside here, is that he comes from rotation games and isn't a long-time/experienced One Pocket player.....I'd love to see him beat Christopher...:heh

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah Steve...I believe we may be the only ones that know that N.H. John shoots real straight and banks very good - his only downside is that he comes from rotation games and isn't a long-time/experienced One Pocket player.....I'd love to see him beat Christopher...:heh
Yeah -- but actually his best game and the one he has played by far the most, is that local game "Around the World". And to think he pretty much quit playing for about 20 years when his kids were growing up! At some point a few years back he got contacts -- we like to joke that he got them with cross hairs lol

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It's over!

I knew it would come and go in the blink of an eye.

The anticipation of the first day of play and meeting all the contestants and their wives for the first time, the conversations among once strangers, to new friends, the rivalry that always exists and never dies among pool competitors no matter what their age, the
nervous but wonderful sensations in the pit of my stomach as my name was called for my first match, the recognition we receive from our peers and the admiration of a game well played. These are but a few of the great moments.

I knew it would come and go, In The Blink Of An Eye!

But I'm all ready having dreams about the next one!!!

Thanks to all of you for the memories,

I had a blast!

Jeff