View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
In a recent thread on AzB, folks (at least one of them a world class banker) are saying that draw on the CB makes banks go longer by transferring follow to the OB. I'm skeptical (go figure).

I think this is only true when the OB is on or very close to the rail or hit very hard. Because otherwise the OB very quickly picks up more follow from cloth friction than the small amount that can be transferred from the CB (in other words, the CB doesn't add to the effect).

For similar reasons (only more so), I think follow on the CB can only rarely shorten banks by putting draw on the OB.

However, I'm not a great banker, so I thought I'd check my skepticism with you 1P players who are, of necessity, good (and versatile) bankers. Whadya think?

pj
chgo
PJ,
The cloth cannot put 'power follow' on the object ball. I shall define 'power follow' as follow English that is spinning faster than the rotation of the ball when it is just rolling. I.e. you push a ball down the table and it is soon rolling. It makes one revolution for every circumference value of travel. It can rotate no faster than this without extra or 'power' English. Draw on the cue ball can do this and after it hits the cushion, it is now powering in the opposite direction as rolling English. When the ball is traveling on an angle as it does on all bank shots, the 'power English' definitely curves the ball. Get and read "Banking With the Beard" and "The Gospool." He aint lyin'. Freddie could bank.