Thread: Is Fats a fit?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Verified Member

Default No Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
Doc, you pretty much nailed it with every line, including Danny Di's opinion (and probably George Rood's opinion, too -- although he isn't as outspoken as Danny).

[I]Danny never liked Fats. Fats' claims about running 200 balls onehanded etc., and assorted other lies, infuriated Danny. Idiots would compare Dannys real feats against Fats' brags and that would heat up Danny. He couldnt go along with the gag and the legend, like so many of us did.[/I].

Dick, You are right about Squirrel and Beenie being influential in getting George Jansco to hold a One Pocket tournament, but you have your facts wrong about RA -- he was not a factor at Johnston City until later. Cokes would have been another pre-tournament Johnston City guy, along with Taylor & probably Schriver. I do not know for sure about either of the "Reds", but I have my doubts about Jersey Red anyway.

Fats and Cokes were the driving influence in getting a tourn going. Fats lived about 25 miles away in Dowell IL., and Cokes lived close by in Evansville, IN. Squirrel, Beanie, Shriver and Taylor all shilled for the original jamboree. Both Reds, Corn and Jersey, had zero influence in the beginning. The people I mentioned originally were all friends and cohorts of the Janscos. I was with Jersey Red just before he went to his first Johnston City tourn. He stopped in Chicago first. He was near broke and intimated that he had no juice with the Janscos.

Another thing that is a plus for Fats in my opinion is that when he came out with his own rule book, it not only included One Pocket, it featured it right on the cover! Contrary to Mike Shamos's article on the history of One Pocket, Fats' rule book was out about a year before the BCA deigned to include One Pocket in their rule book (oh, dear, it is a gambling game )

Here's another question for you. The Hustler movie opened the door, but it took Fats to turn the character into the most unforgettable name in pool. Just for example, several other players back then tried to get traction with the "Fast Eddie" moniker -- including RA. You are a big RA fan; well try explaining why a true character, (and better player than Fats) could not get near as much traction with "Fast Eddie" name as Rudy did with the "Minnesota Fats" name? Big, big difference.

I never saw Fats, but there is no question that he was a huge early and loud promoter of the game of One Pocket.

I guess so Stevo, since he got George and Paulie to put on the first ever, One pocket tourn ever held.
Da Beard

Here is the link from my site for the greatest pool article ever written. A Hustlers Holiday in the Lions Den, by Tom Fox. Tell ya a little sumptin about Fatty.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...80/1/index.htm

Last edited by fred bentivegna; 11-01-2009 at 08:17 PM.