San Jose Dick Interview

Skin

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
JoeyA,

Always glad to share my knowledge with those who sincerely want to learn the game. Just for you, here is my answers to your queries.

Q. #1... Anything 100 proof...Q. #2... Can't really recall, all I know is when I stumbled in the pool room, I had "action". (many times, fights would break out, over who would get me first)

Q. #3...In my action days, my sweetie used to serve me Bloody Mary's in bed...Then after my s, s, and s, and a few beers for mouthwash, I would launch into my controlled regimen of straight YJ...(the trick is, very little chaser...water will kill you)

Then I would head for my favorite bar/bartender, for counseling, and a few more belts, to get my courage up...Then, after a few "lap dances", I would swing by the liquor store, on my way to the pool room...to formally begin my day...:p

SJ Duck

PS.. to all beginners...I would highly recommend, a very rigid practice regimen, for a few years. (Not at pool, thats the easy part...but first get the pre-drink routine down pat) Caution...This may not work for everyone...:cool:

All, that post may not be too far off. I once saw Dick come up the stairs at Times Square in Dallas, slide a case of half-pints (Southern Comfort I believed at the time) under the cigarette machine, and proceed to drink and take $4000 off two different very strong players over 3 days.

Skin < passed out twice during that time just from the alcohol fumes :rolleyes: :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Disclaimer !!!

Disclaimer !!!

Edit to post #20...These training tips will definately NOT work, for anyone who insists on playing a game ( like 3 cushion billiards) that has been virtually extinct, for over 90 years (or so)...jes' sayin'

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
SJDinPHX said:
Edit to post #20...These training tips will definately NOT work, for anyone who insists on playing a game ( like 3 cushion billiards) that has been virtually extinct, for over 90 years (or so)...jes' sayin'

I thought I was on your S--T list, what happen?

Bill Smith "mr3Cushion"

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
JoeyA,

Always glad to share my knowledge with those who sincerely want to learn the game. Just for you, here are my answers to your queries.

Q. #1... Anything 100 proof...Q. #2... Can't really recall, all I know is, when I stumbled in the pool room, I had "action". (many times, fights would break out, over who would get me first)

Q. #3...In my action days, upon waking...my sweetie used to serve me Bloody Mary's in bed...Then after my s, s, and s, and a few beers for mouthwash, I would launch into my controlled regimen of straight YJ...(the trick is, very little chaser...water will kill you !!!)

Then I would head for my favorite bar/bartender, for counseling, and a few more belts, to get my courage up...Then, after a few "lap dances", I would swing by the liquor store, (re-stocking is essential) on my way to the pool room...to formally begin my day...:p

SJ Duck

Ducky,

What did you drink AFTER 10 a.m.?

Deek

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I do have my spies....

I do have my spies....

Cowboy Dennis said:
Ducky,

What did you drink AFTER 10 a.m.?

Deek

Deek,

Rec'd a PM, notifying me that a certain poster took, yet another cheap shot at me...Sooooo, I got drunk, and retaliated in kind...What's it to ya ???

Duck

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Deek,

Rec'd a PM, notifying me that a certain poster took, yet another cheap shot at me...Sooooo, I got drunk, and retaliated in kind...What's it to ya ???

Duck

Are you and Rod conspiring to drive me further insane with your cryptic and non-responsive replys to my posts??? It's working:eek: .

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
Duckster, you crusty old mick... As you know, Hoppe retired in 1952 (while you were in your 40's). When he died in 1959, he pretty much took the American popularity of 3C with him. So in the U.S. the game has been on life support for 60 years.

Jokes aside, if 3C were still accessible I'd be torn between two great games: 1P and 3C. I fell in love with 3C in the late 60's. But since the early 80's I've never lived in a town where there is a poolroom with 3C tables.:(

Doc

Skin

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Duckster, you crusty old mick... As you know, Hoppe retired in 1952 (while you were in your 40's). When he died in 1959, he pretty much took the American popularity of 3C with him. So in the U.S. the game has been on life support for 60 years.

Jokes aside, if 3C were still accessible I'd be torn between two great games: 1P and 3C. I fell in love with 3C in the late 60's. But since the early 80's I've never lived in a town where there is a poolroom with 3C tables.:(

Doc

That's the way I feel about it too, Doc. The only place I ever found a billiard table was in the small pool hall where I learned to play pool. I was actually allowed to play on it. too, and loved it. I eventually moved on because that place was mainly golf action on a 5 X 10 snooker table. The old-timers who played wouldn't say a word to me unless I was making noise. Then it was just to tell me to leave. LOL

I always felt, however, that there was a strong connection between 3c and golf. Any game played on a BIG table never gets a knock from me. Oh, the joy and beauty of the balls rolling across those vast, verdant (now blue) expanses on perfect trajectories with perfect speed. It is like creation itself unfolding. Who can put down heaven? ;) :D

Skin < maybe got a little carried away there at the end :)

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Skin said:
...Oh, the joy and beauty of the balls rolling across those vast, verdant (now blue) expanses on perfect trajectories with perfect speed. It is like creation itself unfolding. Who can put down heaven?..

I think one.pocket.org has found its poet laureate.:)

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Wonder if Dick ever heard of guys named Hal Mix or Hal Houle. Anything he can share about them. Heard they were around the Bay Area during his time there. thank you.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
P00lh0li0 said:
Wonder if Dick ever heard of guys named Hal Mix or Hal Houle. Anything he can share about them. Heard they were around the Bay Area during his time there. thank you.

POOlholio,

I never knew either one, but over on the other channel (AZB) all the banger's think Hal Houle is some sort of God. He has apparently introduced them to various secret "aiming system's" (CTE, BHE, H20, ADD, etc.) and it has elevated all their games to where they never, ever, miss a ball..:eek:

There are about 20 aiming threads in process at all times...and they are not pretty. Lots of name calling etc...John Barton, an APA 3 I think... is "Master of Ceremonies" over there. (he is also official Hal Houle "head nut-hugger")..:cool:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
SJDinPHX said:
POOlholio,

I never knew either one, but over on the other channel (AZB) all the banger's think Hal Houle is some sort of God. He has apparently introduced them to various secret "aiming system's" (CTE, BHE, H20, ADD, etc.) and it has elevated all their games to where they never, ever, miss a ball..:eek:

There are about 20 aiming threads in process at all times...and they are not pretty. Lots of name calling etc...John Barton, an APA 3 I think... is "Master of Ceremonies" over there. (he is also official Hal Houle "head nut-hugger")..:cool:
He wants to play you even for thousands, are you going to have him fly in so I can stream it? :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
P00lh0li0 said:
I went up to Salem, Oregon and took a lesson from Hal Mix in 1995. He was a cornucopia of pool knowledge. He taught some things about the fundamentals that I'd never heard before. He'd worked with Nick Varner and also Tinsley Johnson. Mix himself still shot pretty well at age 86. He died in the late 1990's I believe.

I mentioned my encounter with Mix a few years ago on AZ. Hal Houle PM'd me, and lambasted Mix. Houle knows a lot too, but he's reportedly not very good at explaining.

Doc

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Never knew mix but I know Houle. He does know a lot but doesn't explain much as you say.

gulfportdoc said:
I went up to Salem, Oregon and took a lesson from Hal Mix in 1995. He was a cornucopia of pool knowledge. He taught some things about the fundamentals that I'd never heard before. He'd worked with Nick Varner and also Tinsley Johnson. Mix himself still shot pretty well at age 86. He died in the late 1990's I believe.

I mentioned my encounter with Mix a few years ago on AZ. Hal Houle PM'd me, and lambasted Mix. Houle knows a lot too, but he's reportedly not very good at explaining.

Doc

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Thanks SJD. Just seems not many in the Bay Area know about Houle and wondered if you knew of him during your days in the Bay. Thanks again.

SJDinPHX said:
POOlholio,

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
JoeyA,

Always glad to share my knowledge with those who sincerely want to learn the game. Just for you, here are my answers to your queries.

Q. #1... Anything 100 proof...Q. #2... Can't really recall, all I know is, when I stumbled in the pool room, I had "action". (many times, fights would break out, over who would get me first)

Q. #3...In my action days, upon waking...my sweetie used to serve me Bloody Mary's in bed...Then after my s, s, and s, and a few beers for mouthwash, I would launch into my controlled regimen of straight YJ...(the trick is, very little chaser...water will kill you !!!)

Then I would head for my favorite bar/bartender, for counseling, and a few more belts, to get my courage up...Then, after a few "lap dances", I would swing by the liquor store, (re-stocking is essential) on my way to the pool room...to formally begin my day...:p

SJ Duck

PS.. to all beginners...I would highly recommend, a very rigid practice regimen, for a few years. (Not at pool, thats the easy part...but first, you MUST get the "pre-drink routine" down pat)....Caution...This may not work for everyone...:cool:

Drinking yourself into oblivion, and beating yourself over the head with a rubber hammer, can be quite exhilarating, but alas, there is not much of a future in either.