Diamond Pro

tradr48

I'm a veteran player who's interested in taking up one pocket. Have a
Valley now but am facing a deal through a trusted friend for a 9' Diamond Pro for $2000.00. From what I see of pool table values that sounds like a winner. Thanks for all opinions, and I'd like to say right now that I've always found the players and fans of this forum to be honest, helpful and non self-serving. Thanks so much, Greg.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Valley now but am facing a deal through a trusted friend for a 9' Diamond Pro for $2000.00. From what I see of pool table values that sounds like a winner. Thanks for all opinions, and I'd like to say right now that I've always found the players and fans of this forum to be honest, helpful and non self-serving. Thanks so much, Greg.

If you have a line on that table for $2k, run don't walk!

jalapus logan

Verified Member
That price sounds promising and is on the low end of what I've seen 9' Diamonds go for. I paid $3100 for mine. Got the embriodered cover, Dymondwood rails and a set of super aramith pro balls thrown in. My table was close to mint.

My buddy just got a used one for $2000 as well, but no dymondwood rails and he had to have the rail rubber replaced because a hack had worked on it during a previous set up. Still a good table and he only has about $2500 in it after the new rails were put on.

Long story short, both he and I are happy with our deals, so I say if you inspect the table and it looks to be in decent shape, then snap it up and enjoy.

Best,

JL

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

it might not matter to you or it might be a very big consideration.....the red label and blue label tables play noticeably different.

tradr48

red amd blue label Diamonds

red amd blue label Diamonds

Okay, thanks to all for the advice, I'm learning! Now, how do red and blue label Diamonds play different and how do I identify?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Okay, thanks to all for the advice, I'm learning! Now, how do red and blue label Diamonds play different and how do I identify?

To complicate things, some reds have been modified and play like blue.
Red labels suck big time, sorry Miller, but just stating fact. The banking is so different. Just played at Diamond Billiards in Cape Coral, you can use all those red labels as fire wood as I'm concerned.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
As far as how to tell, I think it's juts the color of the logo on the actual table itself.

Also, here is a quick explanation of what I found online:

The red tables are the older designs. People say they bank shorter (Ie the ball is coming off the rail comes off more perpendicular to the rail relative to the angle it hit the rail at. The blue tables have a slightly lower rail that provides a more natural bank (ie the angle of incident is closer to the angle of reflection).

Cory in dc

Verified Member
To complicate things, some reds have been modified and play like blue.
Red labels suck big time, sorry Miller, but just stating fact. The banking is so different. Just played at Diamond Billiards in Cape Coral, you can use all those red labels as fire wood as I'm concerned.

I think that making a red play like a blue (which banks more similar to what most people are used to, meaning a gold crown) just requires changing out the rails. If you're already paying the cost to transport and re-cover the table, what is the incremental cost of the rails? I would guess you could get it all done--the move, the cloth, and the rails, for about $1200. Then you have a pristine Diamond for under $3500.

And if you want to save money relative to the Diamond light (which is a good light), people have been saying pretty good things about LED light panels.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I think that making a red play like a blue (which banks more similar to what most people are used to, meaning a gold crown) just requires changing out the rails. If you're already paying the cost to transport and re-cover the table, what is the incremental cost of the rails? I would guess you could get it all done--the move, the cloth, and the rails, for about $1200. Then you have a pristine Diamond for under $3500.

And if you want to save money relative to the Diamond light (which is a good light), people have been saying pretty good things about LED light panels.

Bank Shots in Louisville have 25 year old red labels. The rails have been modified and new cushions installed. Those tables play great.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Bank Shots in Louisville have 25 year old red labels. The rails have been modified and new cushions installed. Those tables play great.

thats whats in my future.....

if I could send a message back to myself five and a half years ago, i'd say to hold off a little longer and buy a blue label pro am

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just out of curiosity, what tables did they use at the derby this year? I know they were diamonds but which label or model number? I thought they played great (loose and the new cloth slid a bit - but still a great table imo)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Just out of curiosity, what tables did they use at the derby this year? I know they were diamonds but which label or model number? I thought they played great (loose and the new cloth slid a bit - but still a great table imo)

I don't know about labels, but they are Pro-Ams with one-piece slate. They ship them in wheeled steel racks that stand them up on one side, same way they deliver them to buyers. If they didn't have the Pro-Ams that they could ship pre-assembled they couldn't do a tournament like the Derby where they'd have to assemble, cover and level one-at-a-time at the site. Greg says it would be impossible for them.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

The tables I played on were the blue label, so guessing they all were. The rails play more like a 3-cushion table for 2 and 3 rail kicks. Longer than the gold crowns in my neck of the woods. I could get used to them. :)

Dave

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
They are actually the model referred to by Diamond as "Smart" Tables. They are similar to Pro-Ams but use token coins to operate. The Cueball is returned to a slot at the head of the table. The Cueball s different than the one provided in the Cyclop set. It is not translucent, but has a single red dot that is used by the laser sensor to return th Cueball to the head of the table. The laser setup and tracks make return of the object balls frustratingly longer.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
They are actually the model referred to by Diamond as "Smart" Tables. They are similar to Pro-Ams but use token coins to operate. The Cueball is returned to a slot at the head of the table. The Cueball s different than the one provided in the Cyclop set. It is not translucent, but has a single red dot that is used by the laser sensor to return th Cueball to the head of the table. The laser setup and tracks make return of the object balls frustratingly longer.
Actually, the return mechanism has to do with the translucence of the ball.
This is discussed in this video: https://youtu.be/2bxBqVyQnSw
Another interesting video is here: https://youtu.be/qQCWA9LFhu0

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Sheldon,

After viewing the video I agree that the light-absorbing properties of the cueball are what makes the mechanism work. However, the cueballs used at the DCC where not translucent like the ones purchased with the Cyclop ball sets. They were a solid white and hit slightly (not by much) different than the translucent one that came with the set I purchased.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Yes, they are "Smart Tables," which I think refers only to the fact that they are set up to coin-operate. IOW, I think they are Pro Am Smart Tables that play exactly like any other Pro Am of this generation.