one-pocket practice

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
[CUETABLE][http://www.cuetable.com/P/index.html/CUETABLE] I do not know if I have done this correctly but I thought I would try to use the wei table to show the opening position with cue in hand behind the line for a great practice that I had tried to describe in another thread. The 7,8,9 balls were originally on the headstring diamond but it was much too difficult for me at the time so I always shot it like this. If you can run 7 fairly often from here then you are playing pretty good. Edit #1-Did not work out. I'll keep trying.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
practice

practice

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATPK3BWiK3...HWNj2ITDj4JUTX4KSHF4LQKm1MUym1NSOC1OQCS2PKge@ I did it on my second try. Now if I can just remember what I did. This is the drill that Pittsburgh John was showing to Bernie at the old Rack in Detroit (Oak Park). I poorly tried to describe it 10 days ago. We always played that if your cueball hits an object ball you keep shooting. If you make 15 balls in 15 shots or less, then you are great. Now that I have looked at the layout for a little while, I think that the 13,14 and 15 were also on the headstring diamond when I first saw it.

Last edited:

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
geeze, this was hard.

Tried it for 25 minutes today, with different patterns to see what worked best.

At most I made 8 balls, but should have been minimum 10, because I rattled the ball and had an easy ball next.

When I made 8 I pocketed the 3-2-1, then 4-5-6. I played position for 9-8-7, but the cueball came close to the end rail near the pocket. I made the 9-ball and played for position on the 10-11-12. Made the 12, and played position back to the 8. Rattled it, and had perfect position on the 7 to get back to the 11-10....

A lot of back and forth, but it was the best I managed to do this time.

I also tried to pocket 3-2-1, then play position for the 15-14-13, but I never made more than 5 balls this way.

I made 7 balls when playing 3-2-1, position for 7-8-9, then 4-5-6, but I got difficult position on the 4-5-6. Managed to make the ball, but with no position for next shot...

What pattern would you choose for this drill? (I assume that I don't need to run them in rotation) :)

I liked the drill, but would be nice to get some more drills like this! Keep em' coming!

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Just read the rules again, and didn't know it was allowed to bump into other balls.

Oh well, gonna give it another try tomorrow!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Practice drill

Practice drill

You do not have to shoot them in rotation. That's just the way I took the balls from the wei setup. As far as how I shot it, I would shoot the 1,2,3 and then the 6,5,4. That leaves you a thin cut on the 4 to get down table to the 7,8,9. Then you are on your own. My high run at this drill is 12. I saw all 15 run one time. It was on a fairly loose table but it was a hell of an out. By the way, none of the balls are frozen to the rail in the starting position. And however you position the angled balls, pick a spot and do it the same way every time. I think I used to place the ball nearest the rail 2 balls off the rail for the two angled sets. 8 is not a bad score. My goal was always to average 7 and then work on getting it higher. As far as hitting other balls, we always thought it was hard enough without adding to it. The time I saw all 15 run I think at least two were banked and maybe one combination shot in the mix.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Posted Cowboys drill...

Posted Cowboys drill...

Everyone, here is the diagram cowboy posted:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATPK3BWiK3CacK4DAOe4EAOI4FANn2GaPj2HWNj2ITDj4JUTX4KSHF4LQKm1MUym1NSOC1OQCS2PKge@[/CUETABLE]
This is a good practice in return I will post one of mine...

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
One of mine...

One of mine...

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AATW3BacU3CQOi3DaJq3EFEh3FaYS4GGjf3HaGy4PbUM3Qchv3lchv3lbKm2qQtFRun_balls_in_rotation_to_pocket_a.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
You do not have to shoot them in rotation. That's just the way I took the balls from the wei setup. As far as how I shot it, I would shoot the 1,2,3 and then the 6,5,4. That leaves you a thin cut on the 4 to get down table to the 7,8,9. Then you are on your own. My high run at this drill is 12. I saw all 15 run one time. It was on a fairly loose table but it was a hell of an out. By the way, none of the balls are frozen to the rail in the starting position. And however you position the angled balls, pick a spot and do it the same way every time. I think I used to place the ball nearest the rail 2 balls off the rail for the two angled sets. 8 is not a bad score. My goal was always to average 7 and then work on getting it higher. As far as hitting other balls, we always thought it was hard enough without adding to it. The time I saw all 15 run I think at least two were banked and maybe one combination shot in the mix.
I would shoot the 123 and then the 654 andthen the 987 and then the 15 14 13 and then the 12 11 10 thats what I would try. This is plenty hard. And I gies you can shot the 9 7 8 and the 15 13 14 or the 11 12 10 I guess if I had to bet I would bet against a player doing it and I would lay 2 to 1 if he has to do it in rotation. Its not to easy. ITs a good exercise and it will take patence and practice. THat is a good worm up exercise.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
I would shoot the 123 and then the 654 andthen the 987 and then the 15 14 13 and then the 12 11 10 thats what I would try. This is plenty hard. And I gies you can shot the 9 7 8 and the 15 13 14 or the 11 12 10 I guess if I had to bet I would bet against a player doing it and I would lay 2 to 1 if he has to do it in rotation. Its not to easy. ITs a good exercise and it will take patence and practice. THat is a good worm up exercise.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dennis, is the 10-11-12 cluster angled the correct way? If you have to go from the 7-8-9 cluster to the 10-11-12, that's very difficult to run those three. Even if you get good shape after the 7-8-9, it's still tricky to run the 10-11-12 into the opposite corner.

Doc

Deeman

Verified Member
A Slow Learners Method

A Slow Learners Method

Being a slow brained Southerner, I have developed a method of practice, at least from a strategy standpoint.

Having an extra table in my den (9 Foot Gandy) I will often break the rack and leave it there for a while, maybe a day or so and study alternative replys to the break. When satisfied, I'll shoot, then swap to the other persons standpoint and take, sometimes, an hour or even a day to shoot the next shot. This, of course, can be a long game :) but I do end up satisfied that I at least thought of all the possible shots my tiny brain could come up with.

Of course, I did not say this had made me a world beater but for strategic thinking, it seems to help me.

DeeMan
a lot of time on his hands....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Practice drill

Practice drill

Doc, you do not have to go in any particular order. Shoot the layout however it suits you. I usually tried to get on the 13,14,15 after the 9,8,7. As far as how the balls are angled, pick a diamond and aim them toward it. Do it the same way every time. It's been many moons since I saw Pittsburgh John set this up. The layout as he originally set it up was much tougher. He put the 7,8,9 and the 13,14,15 on the headstring diamond. On the angled sets of balls we always put the nearest one to the rail 2 ball widths off the rail. Then aim the others the same way every time.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
tried it again

tried it again

Tried it again for another 40 mins, and ran 10, 9 and several on 8.

When I ran 10 and 9 I started with 1-2-3, then I played 2 of the balls 4-5-6, left one of them while playing draw-left to get 2-rails behind the 10-11-12.

If I came too short or long I could play position for either the remaining ball of the 4-5-6, or use a stun-shot to the 7-8-9.

That remaining ball on the short-rail can be very helpful also with a few balls left, if you get out of position it's nice to have a "recovery-ball" it's easy to play position to.

Will try the drill again tomorrow.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Ok, still haven't run more than 11 balls on this drill, but did it twice today.

Will give newsofthegatesucks' drill a try tomorrow.

Have been playing that damn One Pocket Ghost now for about 50 tries, and I can't get a perfect out. It's making me mad. I almost had a perfect out, but I dogget it...

Guess I am preparing myself for some matches against the real One Pocket Ghost when I come to DCC :)

Here's my 3 highest runs on tape:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5765876443269669378

Will bring my camera to DCC and will tape the pros playing the One Pocket Challenge. Hopefully I will get some 15 and outs that I can post here!

I recently saw a 15 and out from Pagulayan, a run he did during the DCC last year. You can see it on a 14-1 video when Johnny Archer is playing the DCC Straight Pool Challenge, and the One Pocket table is on the table next to it, in the background :)

millertime

From
Cedar Rapids, IA
7 footer

7 footer

newfosgatesucks said:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AATW3BacU3CQOi3DaJq3EFEh3FaYS4GGjf3HaGy4PbUM3Qchv3lchv3lbKm2qQtFRun_balls_in_rotation_to_pocket_a.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]
I have been practicing this runout a lot lately at home....on a 7ft table. Let me tell you theres no room for error and you have to get it eactly on. I thought it was suppose to be kinda hard because it's practice, well I tried this on a 9-footer after all that time on my table, it was a lot easier with all the room. I guess there are some advantages to having a smaller table with a smaller margin of error;)

I recommend everyone try this once on a 7 footer!

millertime

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
A cool alternative to this is to see how many times in one frame you can play "Up and down" position and even if you lay decent to shoot it normally go up and down.

millertime said:
I have been practicing this runout a lot lately at home....on a 7ft table. Let me tell you theres no room for error and you have to get it eactly on. I thought it was suppose to be kinda hard because it's practice, well I tried this on a 9-footer after all that time on my table, it was a lot easier with all the room. I guess there are some advantages to having a smaller table with a smaller margin of error;)

I recommend everyone try this once on a 7 footer!

millertime