Poolhalls in Kansas City?

crawdaddio

Verified Member
From
Urbana, IL
I will be going to KC for work next week, and plan to check out some PH's. Anyone know of some nice rooms there?
Thanks,
David

P.S. I posted this on a couple other forums and didn't get much of a response.
I thought there might be a deeper well of knowledge over here. Thanks. :cool:

one and stop

Verified Member
pool halls in kansas city

pool halls in kansas city

sir: if you are driving take 35w south to olathe, kansas. about 20 plus miles, go to shooters billiards. full bar and many gold crowns and also bar boxes. easy to get to and lots of parking. gold crown in back of bar near restroom is almost always attracting one hole players. some very good also quite a few average players. they do like to bet a few bucks (20.00 average bet) good food and nice employees.

Splash

From
Hiratsuka Japan
old thread, but...

old thread, but...

Curious if Crawdaddio made it up to Shooters, how things went, and if Shooters is still the place to go. This July-August I will be in the U.S. and have some time, perhaps, to go.

underdog

Verified Member
Pool Halls in KC

Pool Halls in KC

Unfortunately the pool shooting in KC has fallen dramatically. Shooter's in Olathe has the worst tables in the area now. The partners got into a beef and have been suing each other for the last couple of years. Subsequently the 9' tables have not been covered in a while. The partner who was 49% owner was the one who made Shooter's the pool mecca of the Mid-West is now not running the place. The 51% owner cares nothing about pool and is intent on busting the minority owner. It is a sad situation for KC.

In North Kansas City there is a great new place called the Brass Rail. Very nice.
There are several Side Pocket places all over town. They are upscale and have great food too.

The old stand by is Raytown Recreation. It is open 24 hours a day and is a small downstairs place. That was the scene of a match in the late 1980's where Jay Swanson beat a local high roller out of $72,000 over a couple of days. They have a great 3 cushion table and a locally famous 5 x 10 table named "Big Bertha" They will bet it up on occasion. You can get some tough one pocket there as well as 9 ball. It used to be the only place for a while but some of the players have gone to the suburbs.

Scottster

From
KCMO
Just Thought i would give an update on Shooters in Olathe, and Raytown Rec.

Dan Tull is now back in control of Shooters, and has turned it back around to a great place to play.
He had his first "Midwest 9-ball tour" tourny since taking over control again back in early Dec 05. 14 Road Players and 3 Pros showed up to play in this Tourney, along with some locals (38 total for the 1 hole if I remember correctly). It consists of 1-hole starting on Thurs. Race to 4 Double elimination ($65 entry). Then the bar box 9 ball srarts late friday and runs through Sat.
During these tourneys, Dan stays open 24/7 so the action is there for the weekend. He will be hosting another Tourney in late Feb.

As for Raytown Recreation, it is unfortunately not open 24/7 any longer. "Big Bertha" (5x10 Kling) and the Vanderhoeven Billiard table are very well maintained. However, the 8 GC's have gone downhill. Bertha has Centennials, but the other ball sets really need to be replaced.
The action is pretty much stagnant and is now more of a "C" player and lower crowd. Truly sad. In the past, I have played champions: Efren Reyes, Jose Parica, Keith McCready, and Danny Harriman (which resulted in a good friendship with him) at Raytown and it is personally heartbreaking, the status of "The Rec" now.
IF they would just maintain their tables and upgrade the equipment I think business would pick up. Raytown is a "Pool Hall" from the past.
Most action is at Shooters in Olathe, or Sidepockets in North KC these days.