Cooney vs. Joyner

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I would cross the 9 ball to come across to just under the 10 ball and put the cue ball on the rail up table. The key is trying to double him up on the 10 9 balls. It will be real hard for cooney to not leave you a good shot attempt from that position.

you need all the balls the last thing you want to do is to put them up table if you have any other choice.

the best shot is if you can get past the side pocket is to long rail bank the 15 and come around 3 rails for position for the run out.

next best if the table is super fast is to spin bank the 15 and draw your cueball over and down behind the other balls and run out or leave him covered.

average players would sell out on both of these shots.

third, if the other two arent acceptable is to cross the nine.

if you sell out rack them up.

Didn't read everything but if someone said to do this then this is what I like. Need to keep all the balls in play. Get the nine to my side and protect it with the ten ball.
View attachment 13349

alot of REALLY GOOD players like this
cross the 9 must be the thinking mans shot
who know what cliff shot???:D

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I like using the 14 to cross the 9 with a little draw. That puts the 9 on your side and the 14 in the middle of the table and no good return shot

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like using the 14 to cross the 9 with a little draw. That puts the 9 on your side and the 14 in the middle of the table and no good return shot

The problem with using the 14 to cross the 9 that you and some others like is.. first you put the 14 up table which when you need all 3 and are trying to make it difficult for your opponent to not leave a shot is exactly what you dont want to do. 2nd if you use the 14 to cross the 9 it will be harder to control how far the 9 goes across table and where it ends up. The key to getting a good shot in this situation is to double him up on 2 of the balls and MOST importantly leaving the cue ball UP TABLE..

have a nice day:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cliff did cross the 9 to his side rail, above the side pocket. He hit it fairly softly with right spin, leaving whitey on the side rail 2-1/2 diamonds below the head rail:

Joyner-Cooney 3.jpg

Joyner-Cooney 4.jpg

From the angle he had to the 9 ball, I don't think he could bank the 9 to below the side pocket, and still handle the CB in the same way. He took a long time on this shot, and I suspect he was trying to not leave a bank on the 9, while leaving the CB in a position where Cooney couldn't bank the 10 without a kiss.

I'm surprised he didn't just hit the CB harder and thinner, and have the CB come off the head rail and down toward Cooney's pocket. Jack would then have to work to not leave Cliff some kind of bank.

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
not the best shot imo there. you want to line the balls up best you can and leave him around the middle of the short rail. this way he doesnt have cross banks and it becomes hard as hacker says to not leave you a shot.

hacker happens to shoot well and think well, that is a hard combination to beat. maybe thats why he stays in money.

i would love to be left there after that shot. considering where he could put me.
these guys never miss a ball but dont necessarily never miss the best options.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Cliff is one of the best at thinking through these kind of ugly table layouts. Varner plays these same type of shots. Freddy was a solid proponent as well of using a ball in the middle of the table to hide a ball in your sector. I'm not sure that I've ever seen Efren use this kind of strategy.

My take on these kinds of shots are that it takes a good deal of playing before you start to recognize them right away. Yes, you have to control *two* balls, but the payoff can be excellent. You gotta figure to get a nice offensive opportunity off a well-executed shot in a few innings or so.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
From this leave, as Cooney was lining up and figuring out how he wanted to bank the 10 cross-corner, the commentators Buddy Hall and the other guy (an infrequent analyst) both were urging that Jack ought to be shooting the 9 ball.

As it was, Jack missed the kiss by a cat's whisker, but left the 10 in front of his hole. Cliff knocked it away, but lost control of the CB, leaving Jack a fairly routine cross-corner on the 14 for the game win.

Because Cooney's name kept coming up awhile back, I'd searched this match for some interesting shots by Jack. But he plays such a routine, workman-like style, that it was tough to find something to showcase! I can see why he was such a natural hustler. He never looks threatening, and his demeanor always suggests that he can be beat.:cool:

~Doc