Cornbread Red vs. Bugs Rucker 1991 L.O.P.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Red has a 2-1 lead and it's his shot. What would you do?

View attachment 14631

I like banking the 5 and billiarding the stripe at the same time with a draw stroke and medium speed stopping the CB right there. Looks like everything's going to be rolling towards my pocket, and I could very easily make a ball with that 5 ball swinging hard in there and be off to the races.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Stop shot on the 5 ball.

It should go 2 rails into the lower balls(14&6) and push balls toward his hole.

The Q ball should remain on the other side of the stack.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Not sure if that's the 10 or 12 maybe? But the stripe by Bugs' side. Shoot it straight on, stop the CB right there and the ball travels 3 rails long into or real near your pocket.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The two closest upper balls, I too like the bank on the solid-5 ball, 2 rails underneath those bottom lower balls, while kickin' the stripe towards CB's hole, and parking whitey. Considering the distance, the bank carom kicker, allows the shooter a very controllable cue ball. It makes hitting the proper carom towards the stripe the key to this shot, and it's fairly simple, 90%.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Not sure if that's the 10 or 12 maybe? But the stripe by Bugs' side. Shoot it straight on, stop the CB right there and the ball travels 3 rails long into or real near your pocket.

That's my shot. The thing I like about it beyond the obvious is that it forces Bugs to draw his ball to avoid the scratch if he banks the 6, and I think he can't get the CB anywhere he will like by doing that unless he manages to come off the point.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I like banking the 5 and billiarding the stripe at the same time with a draw stroke and medium speed stopping the CB right there. Looks like everything's going to be rolling towards my pocket, and I could very easily make a ball with that 5 ball swinging hard in there and be off to the races.

Yep, this.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

This kinda reminds me of ''herding'' balls, like cattle. When at Jansco's for the 1st time in 68 maybe 69 this was the style I felt exuded out of RA. And with the natural slur Ronnie had, and a few hi balls....welllllllllll. One things for sure, if all the balls rolling were cue balls, a scratch would be 99.9% who ever pulled the darn trigger.:lol

Grayback1973

Verified Member
Jeff Sparks

Jeff Sparks

The Jeff Sparks shot looks really good,but there is something to consider....distance.This is a 9 footer and there is a good bit of distance between cue and object.If the shooter has the confidence it takes from this distance then he should shoot it.A very good choice imo.Nice find Jeff btw....

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The Jeff Sparks shot looks really good,but there is something to consider....distance.This is a 9 footer and there is a good bit of distance between cue and object.If the shooter has the confidence it takes from this distance then he should shoot it.A very good choice imo.Nice find Jeff btw....

Yes, but the carom distances are Very Good even with the cue ball distance up table. The camera angle of this shot, will definitely make the cue ball appear much closer to the head rail.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
That's my shot. The thing I like about it beyond the obvious is that it forces Bugs to draw his ball to avoid the scratch if he banks the 6, and I think he can't get the CB anywhere he will like by doing that unless he manages to come off the point.

It seems like on most WWYd's John you and I are picking the same shot or very similar.

Great minds think alike huh? :)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cornbread Red vs. Bugs Rucker 1991 L.O.P.

It seems like on most WWYd's John you and I are picking the same shot or very similar.

Yeah. The three of us should play some captains at the next Derby! It'll be a hoot :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

If he could've stopped the rock right there it would've been better but he had everything going his way.

I'm not showing all the ball movements and kisses involved here but this is the basic shot:

cbr shot 1.jpg

He left it here for Bugs:

cbr leave.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

But can we DO it? :D I like your end of that action.

Won-loss record is all that counts.

Seriously, I've noticed the same thing. I once made a similar comment to Gulport Doc and he quit playin' for a month. :heh