Re; the One Pocket HOF...

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'm not sure how this will come off, but these are my sincere feelings. I think my involvement here at 1P.org. may have played too large a part in the voting process thus far.

While I would consider it an honor to be inducted, I think the politics of "getting votes", has allready played too big a part in the process thus far, and in the past.

That being said...even if I were to recieve the most votes, I would still think Allen or Buddy were more deserving of the award. They have both contributed much more to the game, then I have. The fact that neither one posts here, just puts me in the role of a spoiler. I honestly feel if I have any recognition coming, a more suitable area might be an action award of some sort.

If it's all the same to you Steve, I would like to defer to whoever gets the most votes between Buddy and Allen, either of whom may overtake me anyway.

Hope this clears up what I've tried to say in earlier posts.....Bottom line...Thanks, but no thanks.

SJD

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the praise of Dick's speed by Jersey Red ("Dick, who was within a ball of anyone of any era..."),
i dont think the voters should ignore your references in eddie robbins book.
they were written by the people considered the top of one pocket.
i havent gone to check yet but i bet all the authors are in the HOF.icbw
its true this site has given you exposure you never wanted i guess as a player
yet some how your skill was recognized by your peers.
this is not to say that buddy or allen are undeserving
but i think you earned the respect of your peers at the time you were playing and by beating joyner proved you still had game.
i personally beleive the battle between you and freddy should stop and demeans both of you( although it gives us sweaters tittilating reading:D :rolleyes: )
freddy also has paid his dues and all of you who shared a common love of pool and the life it led to should be more supportive of each other than trying to cut each others nuts off. JMHO:)
^^^ that was an aside while im on a roll

dick i do think you are meritorious to be inducted. even tho my opinion doesnt mean much jersey reds and eddie robins should.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
SJDinPHX said:
I'm not sure how this will come off, but these are my sincere feelings. I think my involvement here at 1P.org. may have played too large a part in the voting process thus far.

While I would consider it an honor to be inducted, I think the politics of "getting votes", has allready played too big a part in the process thus far, and in the past.

That being said...even if I were to recieve the most votes, I would still think Allen or Buddy were more deserving of the award. They have both contributed much more to the game, then I have. The fact that neither one posts here, just puts me in the role of a spoiler. I honestly feel if I have any recognition coming, a more suitable area might be an action award of some sort.

If it's all the same to you Steve, I would like to defer to whoever gets the most votes between Buddy and Allen, either of whom may overtake me anyway.

Hope this clears up what I've tried to say in earlier posts.....Bottom line...Thanks, but no thanks.

SJD

SJD,
Couple of thoughts....

First off, I have all the respect in the world for Allen Hopkins & Buddy Hall.
I also think they both deserve eventual enshrinement, especially Allen. I came with-in a whisker of also voting for Hopkins, and truth be told, if I could recast my ballot, I'd vote for him also.

Reading your post, my thoughts are that IF Allen or Buddy also had to work full time and make priority one that of taking care of their family thru regular and steady paychecks, would they have been as great as they are?

You were top shelf, talented and had a gambler's heart basically as a part-time player. Allen & Buddy did what they did while being full-time players.

It's none of my business, but if the fellas here feel you are worthy of induction, why not just graciously accept it? Not everybody who posts here will be enshrined or even considered for inclusion on future ballots. You were granted those honors by your fellow members here, so at least consider that they know what they're doing in naming you. Plus, it's kinda late in the voting to pull your own plug. You would be the only "inductee" that purposedly kamakazeed themselves OUT of the H.O.F.

Don't try to expunge your own legacy.

Good luck with whatever happens and however things turn out.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I think we should give it to SJD whether he likes it or not.....LOL. That will teach him to be on every ones good side!

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
I think if SJD gets in, we should have Freddie present the award... :eek:

Seriously though, can we please concentrate on what's important today: the current thrashing of the Eagles by our beloved Chicago Bears? (<---- attempted hijack)

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
When I saw the voting status, I thought to myself the exact same thing Dick said: The only reason he is on the same level of votes as the other players is because he posts here.

There is no doubt he is a great player, but one's popularity on this forum should not add to the number of votes one gets. This is especially true considering the internet wasn't even invented by Al Gore when the players on the ballot were in the thick of playing.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Lot Of Class

Lot Of Class

Dick, you show a lot of class. Im proudto know you. Keith

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Terry Ardeno said:
SJD,
Couple of thoughts....

Reading your post, my thoughts are that IF Allen or Buddy also had to work full time and make priority one that of taking care of their family thru regular and steady paychecks, would they have been as great as they are?

You were top shelf, talented and had a gambler's heart basically as a part-time player. Allen & Buddy did what they did while being full-time players..
terry dick can confirm this but i beleive his days as a top player was when all he did was shoot pool.
when he went to work he was on sabbatical from pool
icbw

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
lll said:
terry dick can confirm this but i beleive his days as a top player was when all he did was shoot pool.
when he went to work he was on sabbatical from pool
icbw

Larry,
Ycbr (YOU could be right). Icbw.

(I've picked up some hip-hop speak since I joined you fellas) :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Here's my take, because of his longevity many of the younger members aren't familiar with Dick. I voted for him because I believe he deserves the honor.
I've played many good players, albeit not even, but Dick came to play, and came to stay, and came to gamble. He did all of that with any and everybody.
He was a warrior and pretty much still is I believe. He was well known at that point in time by all the road players that I ran into. It was a different time then, Hopkins couldn't of won and Hall wouldn't of played. They both became great players and will receive many awards, including this one. I believe who's heard of who is probably about as unimportant as who posts where.
Rod.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
I voted for SJD based on some old road dogs opinions that I trust who said he was the real deal and not just because he makes jokes about hookers in Chicago being two dollar trannies. (And I voted for Mexican Johnny based on some old road dogs opinions I trust and not based on him being on any popularity band wagon;-) I'll vote for Hopkins next year.

Skin

Verified Member
I imagine this thread is giving Dick fits since it is accomplishing the opposite of what he intended. I was around and saw Dick play before his layoff. Anybody who did see him play would have no doubts about his credentials. His contemporaries, who could not spot him more than 1/2 ball by the way, are already in the HOF. Guys like RA, Jack Breit, and Ed Kelley. I have no doubt they would vote for him if they were members here. And who would argue with them?

I voted for Dick McMorran, Marcel Camp, and Harold Worst. That does not in any way take away from the qualifications of others on the ballot. It is a helluva a slate. I wish we had a similarly qualified group to pick from at the polls when we vote for elected officials. What a country we'd have then!

Skin

JAM

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
I'm not sure how this will come off, but these are my sincere feelings....Hope this clears up what I've tried to say in earlier posts.....Bottom line...Thanks, but no thanks.

I read your post with a heavy heart. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for any player who has devoted their life to this wonderful world of pool to write their thoughts on this topic. I respect and love you for sharing your thoughts.

Maybe I am starting to look at pool in a different light than I did when I was younger. It used to bring me such joy. I never achieved pro status, but I played in the Maryland State Championship for ladies (did horrible), and I also enjoyed frequenting *real* pool rooms since I was a teenager. I was a 6 on the Busch League, and I've been on the road with an action player a few times. It was this era of my life when I enjoyed pool the most.

Since I met my partner and traveled that tournament trail, got a taste of pool politics, sacrificed my business to attend three and four tournaments each month, et cetera, pool just ain't what it used to be.

Pool has literally turned upside-down for me today. Pool peeps now care about money so damn much -- [excuse my language] -- that they are willing to worship clowns, thieves, dishonest businessmen, and, in some cases, societal outcasts.

Kevin Trudeau is today an ostracized pariah in the pool world, even though he tried to make something happen with a several-million-dollar investment. He's a bad guy in the eyes of some in this pool world, but the clowns, thieves, dishonest businessmen, and societal outcasts are the good guys.

Hall of Fames do bring a sense of pride to those who are inducted, and I would never want to see that pride removed from a thoroughbred pool player's heart, whether it is Dick McMoran, Buddy Hall, Allen Hopkins, or anybody else.

Pool is cruel to its own, but you know what, at the end of the day, I will remind everybody what my partner says: "Don't ever forget *who* you are." For some reason, I am the one that gets hurt by pool, mainly because I love him, but he couldn't be happier. I guess he does know *who* he is and doesn't care what others think.

In sum, Dick, however this Hall of Fame voting turns out this year, know who you are. You are, indeed, recognized by many as a pool thoroughbred, so don't ever forget that. At the end of the day, that self-respect is all you got. :)

I believe that I am the Efren Reyes of my industry. Now, if I can only practice what I preach.... :eek:

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I picked Hopkins, but SJD has no reason to feel guilty if he gets in.

You've paid your dues, battled enough champs,etc...to get in without guilt. I doubt Buddy Hall has done more in one pocket when money games are factored in. Buddy beat Marco Marquez to win a title, and played a perfect match against Efren on video. Other than that, I really don't know many Buddy Hall one pocket stories to tell.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Skin said:
I wish we had a similarly qualified group to pick from at the polls when we vote for elected officials. What a country we'd have then!

Skin

Smartest post I have read on here for a long time.

I voted for Dick and Hopkins. All on the list deserve consideration.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
I've never met SJD, but his name did come up when I started playing pool in the late 90's and mentioned that the Bay Area didn't seem to have any good/top level players like the LA Area. From the stuff told to me, I got the impression he worked for UPS during the weekdays and spent Fri night-early Mon morning playing hard core high dollar pool. So I spent many a weekend at various pool halls around the Bay Area hoping to see this 6'4 well built middle aged guy come play top notch pool. Lucky for me, some guy decided to let me know SJD had retired from UPS and moved out of the Bay Area. However, everyone that know/knew of SJD said he was a top player.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
P00lh0li0 said:
I've never met SJD, but his name did come up when I started playing pool in the late 90's and mentioned that the Bay Area didn't seem to have any good/top level players like the LA Area. From the stuff told to me, I got the impression he worked for UPS during the weekdays and spent Fri night-early Mon morning playing hard core high dollar pool. So I spent many a weekend at various pool halls around the Bay Area hoping to see this 6'4 well built middle aged guy come play top notch pool. Lucky for me, some guy decided to let me know SJD had retired from UPS and moved out of the Bay Area. However, everyone that know/knew of SJD said he was a top player.

Thanks for the kind words, but you would have finally got to see me about a month ago, at California Billiards in Mtn.View...You may have missed me though, because I have shrunk to about 5' 9"...and I'm kinda pear shaped...:p

It was rumored in those days, that I was a tall, musclebound, usually drunk Mexican...(I started that rumor myself, glad to see it survived all these years..:cool:)

PS..I also get weight from shortstops now...Lotta water under the bridge since the sixties...But I did enjoy my San Jose days.

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
jrhendy said:
Smartest post I have read on here for a long time.

I voted for Dick and Hopkins. All on the list deserve consideration.
Johnny, you keep beating all these good players and soon we'll see your name on one of these ballots.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Frank Almanza said:
Johnny, you keep beating all these good players and soon we'll see your name on one of these ballots.

As you know, you can sneak up on em in short race tournaments, but not for the cash.

I'm just trying to get The Ghost a little nervous about our upcoming match at the Derby. Doesn't look like it is working.