Turnout for US Open 1 Pocket

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
Do you think it will be a strong field? Just got done looking at turnout for SBE 1 Pocket and it seems like mostly regional players. The 4 marquis names were Appleton, Orcullo, Kiamco, and Thorpe. I'm sure they are expecting players to travel from SBE to Us Open 1 Pocket, but it doesn't seem like many "name" players traveled to SBE.

On a side note many "name" players in the SBE 9 ball event. Also read that if a player is playing in more than one event and their is a scheduling conflict the player must choose one or the other. Maybe that kept some players from entering 1 pocket event.

No matter what I will be there supporting. Anybody planning on going?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't know about the SBE, but I'm hoping the U.S. Open 1P will get a full and strong field. The event was slightly late in announcement for this year, but many of us had prevailed upon Mark to hold one, so I'm really hoping that it will be a success, and that it'll continue on into the future.

~Doc

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I don't know about the SBE, but I'm hoping the U.S. Open 1P will get a full and strong field. The event was slightly late in announcement for this year, but many of us had prevailed upon Mark to hold one, so I'm really hoping that it will be a success, and that it'll continue on into the future.

~Doc

I thought there was no One Pocket tournament this year?
After I read your post I did a search for {2016 US Open 1 Pocket, went to a site that said it was held in Feb in Windsor Locks Connecticut, then I typed in US Open 1 Pocket and it said Reno Nevada but when I went to that site it had no 1 pocket info , just advertising the straight pool. Now I just went back to my original search and I see the Henderson Nevada ad above the others , pretty confusing, it could be me , but if I was spending money to put on a tournament , I wouldn't want there to be any question as to when and where it was.
Just went back again and it says March 7th Henderson Nevada and I thought crap , that's not giving me much time to get ready.
Then I look at the flyer and find out March 7th was the announcement date from the business site in Nevada?????
The tournament is in April in Windsor Locks Conn.
Is anybody besides me confused by all this?

Last edited:

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open One Pocket

US Open One Pocket

Us open one pocket is
April 18-21,2016
Entry is $350
Race to 4/3
Limited to 48 players
Double elimination
Held at Pool Table Magic in Windsor Locks, CT

Us open straight pool is
April 20-24
Entry is $600
Limited to 48 players
Round robin advancing to longer single elimination.

Both events start one day after Allen Hopkins SBE - and only 240 miles away. So four events in 10 days.

Go to www.playcsipool.com upcoming events and get additional info.
Hoping to get some decent fields, these are prestigious titles.

Mark Griffin
702-835-2000 cell

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes it may have been announced a little late this year but at least it is happening which I am very happy about! I am not blaming this on when it was announced but if I would have had more advanced notice or had better planning skills myself I would have surely attended, donated $350 and see if I could have made any of these champions sweat a little :)

Not only will I be getting a room next year at the derby to "do it right" but also hope to attend the US Open One Pocket tourney in 2017 as well.

Here's to hoping its a great event this year, I am looking forward to hearing all about it!

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Glad it is being held. The complaints I heard were the tables the event are being played on are not Diamonds and not all the same, Gold Crowns with green cloth or something. Perhaps someone can give information on what tables this event will be played on and will it be streamed?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've only been to that room once or twice and not recently -- but I will be going soon!! Their website shows 11 Gold Crowns and two Anniversary tables in a separate room:

http://www.pooltablemagic.com/

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open one pocket

US Open one pocket

To avoid confusion,

CSI will be adding the full amounts of added money regardless of the field size.

$5,000 added to the one pocket
$10,000 added to the Straight Pool

Both events are limited to 48 players. It seems the fields will not fill. That is unfortunate for the players because we do these events to support the players and the game. Our events are run in an ethical and professional manner; there are no favorites, no seeding, and no sponsoring of any players. But without support of the players, it becomes difficult to put forth the efforts - time will tell.

In the meantime, I wish everyone 'good shooting'.................

CSI staff will be on hand to do PPV streaming, and although small, the field has some quality talent - so there should be some good matches

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

markgriffin

Verified Member
Glad it is being held. The complaints I heard were the tables the event are being played on are not Diamonds and not all the same, Gold Crowns with green cloth or something. Perhaps someone can give information on what tables this event will be played on and will it be streamed?

I prefer Diamond tables, however a lot of rooms use others, and Gold Crowns and acceptable to play high end tournaments. For players to expect all events to be on Diamonds is unrealistic because of the costs of transporting the tables.

My personal opinion is that the table doesn't make 'that' much difference in the long run. The better player will usually win, however anything can happen in one race.

A player needs to be able to compete under all conditions. We will provide the best cloth (Simonis) balls (Duramith) and a great atmosphere that is clean and comfortable. To demand beyond that is counter productive to growth of the game.

BTW, CSI will be providing the streaming. Info can be viewed at www.playcsipool.com. (go to upcoming events:)

Mark Griffin

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's too bad that the events haven't filled yet. Certainly some players will sign up late. It's going to be a good event regardless.

In future years my guess is that players would be more responsive to the higher money being in the 1P rather than the 14.1, simply because 1P has become popular now; whereas some of the guys don't know much about straight pool. I realize that you had the straight pool scheduled for awhile before you added the 1P.

Hope you have a great turnout!

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It's too bad that the events haven't filled yet. Certainly some players will sign up late. It's going to be a good event regardless.

In future years my guess is that players would be more responsive to the higher money being in the 1P rather than the 14.1, simply because 1P has become popular now; whereas some of the guys don't know much about straight pool. I realize that you had the straight pool scheduled for awhile before you added the 1P.

Hope you have a great turnout!

~Doc

Yes, reversing the added money would certainly increase interest in the 1P. No idea what it would do to the 14.1

It does seem odd to me to do it this way, but I'm biased. :)

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I prefer Diamond tables, however a lot of rooms use others, and Gold Crowns and acceptable to play high end tournaments. For players to expect all events to be on Diamonds is unrealistic because of the costs of transporting the tables.

My personal opinion is that the table doesn't make 'that' much difference in the long run. The better player will usually win, however anything can happen in one race.

A player needs to be able to compete under all conditions. We will provide the best cloth (Simonis) balls (Duramith) and a great atmosphere that is clean and comfortable. To demand beyond that is counter productive to growth of the game.

BTW, CSI will be providing the streaming. Info can be viewed at www.playcsipool.com. (go to upcoming events:)

Mark Griffin

Glad it is being streamed and happening. I do hope the turnout is star studded and full fields. As long as they are playing on 4 1/2 inch pockets or tighter then I am sure all will be fine.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What I know from my end is that I put the initial information about the US Open One Pocket smack dab on the onepocket.org home page the same day the information was first posted in our forum. It has been updated a little since then with links once those links became available and it is still prominently on the home page. We also obviously have had lots of conversation here in the forum. However, there of course tons of pros that have never visited our forums. Others that have joined but never posted, and a few have posted a little but visit very sparingly.

I'm on Facebook but not that active, but I did post what I had back on Feb 29 when it was first announced. I don't have a huge following like someone like Darren Appleton or Scott Frost do.

It seems like some unnecessary and undeserved knocking by a few of what appear to be CSI haters -- at least that's the way I see it. Too bad.

I think the bottom line is there was not nearly as much advance notice as would have been ideal, and also I have my own concerns about the location in western CT -- although maybe I will be surprised, but I never heard of that area as being a hotbed for pool, let alone a hotbed for One Pocket. Especially in comparison say to the Sacramento CA area, Philly area, etc.

Anyway, I will be there to compete as best I can.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What I know from my end is that I put the initial information about the US Open One Pocket smack dab on the onepocket.org home page the same day the information was first posted in our forum. It has been updated a little since then with links once those links became available and it is still prominently on the home page. We also obviously have had lots of conversation here in the forum. However, there of course tons of pros that have never visited our forums. Others that have joined but never posted, and a few have posted a little but visit very sparingly.

I'm on Facebook but not that active, but I did post what I had back on Feb 29 when it was first announced. I don't have a huge following like someone like Darren Appleton or Scott Frost do.

It seems like some unnecessary and undeserved knocking by a few of what appear to be CSI haters -- at least that's the way I see it. Too bad.

I think the bottom line is there was not nearly as much advance notice as would have been ideal, and also I have my own concerns about the location in western CT -- although maybe I will be surprised, but I never heard of that area as being a hotbed for pool, let alone a hotbed for One Pocket. Especially in comparison say to the Sacramento CA area, Philly area, etc.

go get em steve....:)

Cory in dc

Verified Member

You may have identified a partial fix: get some friendly pros with large followings to post on facebook re: date, time, actual money added, the guarantee, etc. Alex and/or Frost would be a good start! Lenny probably has a lot of Facebook friends and followers, too.

More importantly, good luck in the tournament Steve! Even if the field is a bit small, it's strong. Even winning a few games would be a victory in my book.