R. Martinez vs. E. Reyes 2014 D.C.C.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Thanks Dr. Bill

Thanks Dr. Bill

Boy you can sure tell I've watched,and listened to a lot of your commentary,because my thinking was exactly the same except I didn't know the cue ball would shake loose. That happens to me a lot. I have the cue stuck perfect only to have another ball come back and knock it loose. Thanks Todd.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Do you guys think he was trying to do that , or was he trying to clear out the two balls by the other guys pocket?

He was not trying to clear out the two balls by Efren's pocket. If he had hit either one of them the 2 ball would've come right back into the path of the cueball. Even Martinez is smart enough to know that.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
He was not trying to clear out the two balls by Efren's pocket. If he had hit either one of them the 2 ball would've come right back into the path of the cueball. Even Martinez is smart enough to know that.

This was my thought - with the speed required to draw it and the angle of the collision, the 2 ball would have had plenty of reverse.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Of course he wasn't trying to clear BOTH balls, the angle is not there to do that and control the cue ball. Martinez knew that but he could of tried to contact the green ball and send the 2ball toward his pocket with speed. If you look at the angle the 2ball is coming out of the corner, you can surely see that that was possible, some others may not but I believe you can.:D straightback

Bill Incardona

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Of course he wasn't trying to clear BOTH balls, the angle is not there to do that and control the cue ball. Martinez knew that but he could of tried to contact the green ball and send the 2ball toward his pocket with speed. If you look at the angle the 2ball is coming out of the corner, you can surely see that that was possible, some others may not but I believe you can.:D straightback

Bill Incardona

Considering the cue ball was ALWAYS in the path of such a wild billiard, I sure as hell hope he was not trying the shot you describe.

baby huey

Verified Member
With regards to any shot in One Pocket, especially in these WWYD postings, the shot will always depend on the skill set of the shooter and what if any his thinking is at the time of the shot. Great ball strikers make great hits on defense in One Pocket. In particular, Raphael has a dynamite stroke and can get the cue ball into some unbelievable locations. But for all the great shots he shoots from time to time, his game just isn't top shelf against the great players of today.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
With regards to any shot in One Pocket, especially in these WWYD postings, the shot will always depend on the skill set of the shooter and what if any his thinking is at the time of the shot. Great ball strikers make great hits on defense in One Pocket. In particular, Raphael has a dynamite stroke and can get the cue ball into some unbelievable locations. But for all the great shots he shoots from time to time, his game just isn't top shelf against the great players of today.

I agree Jerry...WWYD responses will usually bring out a wide variety of responses..Raphael has the capability to execute shots most players would not even attempt..However, as you said, his risk/reward choices quite often lean toward the 'risk' side of whats available. That has certainly kept him below the 'top player' level.

To someone trying to learn the right shot choices ln one pocket, There are a lot of players who would be better off ignoring many of his selections. The optimum learning experience, can be gained by watching guys like yourself, Wayne, One Pocket Rich, or Little Al Romero. (and of course several others)

I have watched many hours of you guys play, and almost never seen a 'poor' shot choice, from any of you..Nobody hits every shot perfect, but its easy to tell you rarely, if ever, did not attempt the BEST available option. ;)

SJD

PS..Example; watch this match between Rich and Little Al...and see how many poor shot choices they made. (like zero)
http://tvchannel.crosschannelproduc...CRQ0/One-Pocket-Rich-vs-Little-Al-Romero.html

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I agree Jerry...WWYD responses will usually bring out a wide variety of responses..Raphael has the capability to execute shots most players would not even attempt..However, as you said, his risk/reward choices quite often lean toward the 'risk' side of whats available. That has certainly kept him below the 'top player' level.

To someone trying to learn the right shot choices ln one pocket, There are a lot of players who would be better off ignoring many of his selections. The optimum learning experience, can be gained by watching guys like yourself, Wayne, One Pocket Rich, or Little Al Romero. (and of course several others)

I have watched many hours of you guys play, and almost never seen a 'poor' shot choice, from any of you..Nobody hits every shot perfect, but its easy to tell you rarely, if ever, did not attempt the BEST available option. ;)

SJD

PS..Example; watch this match between Rich and Little Al...and see how many poor shot choices they made. (like zero)
http://tvchannel.crosschannelproduc...CRQ0/One-Pocket-Rich-vs-Little-Al-Romero.html

I agree about some of his shot choices. He doesn't seem to have a tournament mentality.
I think he has to be considered in the top dozen players. He has a better chance beating those rated above him, than any of the guys listed here have of beating him.
Rod.
P.S. I've watched a few money matches with him involved, and no one is beating down the door to play him.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I agree about some of his shot choices. He doesn't seem to have a tournament mentality.
I think he has to be considered in the top dozen players. He has a better chance beating those rated above him, than any of the guys listed here have of beating him.
Rod.
P.S. I've watched a few money matches with him involved, and no one is beating down the door to play him.

Martinez is a dangerous player playing all games, especially 9ball. His one pocket game is his weakest game, however, like you say not too many players are thrilled about playing him. His game today is somewhat on a par with Cliff's game, with Cliff maybe a 'thin hair' the better player. Martinez played Chohan about 5 years ago at the DCC even one pocket, Chohan won but it wasn't easy for him. Since then I believe that Martinez's game has gone up..but not much. I put him slightly under players like Richie R.- Cliff J.-Chip Compton-Danny Smith and Josh Roberts but not much at all. You could put him in that class of one pocket players in terms of ability.

Bill Incardona

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Martinez is a dangerous player playing all games, especially 9ball. His one pocket game is his weakest game, however, like you say not too many players are thrilled about playing him. His game today is somewhat on a par with Cliff's game, with Cliff maybe a 'thin hair' the better player. Martinez played Chohan about 5 years ago at the DCC even one pocket, Chohan won but it wasn't easy for him. Since then I believe that Martinez's game has gone up..but not much. I put him slightly under players like Richie R.- Cliff J.-Chip Compton-Danny Smith and Josh Roberts but not much at all. You could put him in that class of one pocket players in terms of ability.

Bill Incardona

Billy; Just to note, Martinez also posses a solid 3C background, which obviously shines through in his pool game. Whether it be the rotation games or 1P. When He was probably in His prime, in the late 80's when He hung around the, "Chicago Billiard Café" in Chicago for a few days. We had the chance to play some 3 cushion, I gave him 7 and the break on 35, $300.00 a game. I kept it close, but, at anytime He was capable of running 6 or 7. We only played 3 games, nice guy to gamble with also!

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy; Just to note, Martinez also posses a solid 3C background, which obviously shines through in his pool game. Whether it be the rotation games or 1P. When He was probably in His prime, in the late 80's when He hung around the, "Chicago Billiard Café" in Chicago for a few days. We had the chance to play some 3 cushion, I gave him 7 and the break on 35, $300.00 a game. I kept it close, but, at anytime He was capable of running 6 or 7. We only played 3 games, nice guy to gamble with also!
That very true, Martinez does play 3C very well. He has one of the most powerful strokes in the game, and he's not afraid to let it out sometimes too often.:D I watched him play CJ Wiley 9ball in the 90's and beat CJ when CJ was considered in the top three to four best 9ball players in the world. Matter of fact he beat him several times, I guess some players just 'hold' over some players, kinda funny how that goes.

Bill Incardona

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

When I arrived at the DCC 2 years ago for the first time, I walked into the practice room and Spanish mike Lebron was there. (He hung at Takony Billiards, where I used to play a lot). Mike saw me and said, "here Mitch, play this guy". I had no idea who this other guy was but we played for almost an hour. I even squeaked one game out. So, of course it turned out to be Raphael who was toying with me lol. Still, he was extremely nice and I am glad that I had the opportunity.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When I arrived at the DCC 2 years ago for the first time, I walked into the practice room and Spanish mike Lebron was there. (He hung at Takony Billiards, where I used to play a lot). Mike saw me and said, "here Mitch, play this guy". I had no idea who this other guy was but we played for almost an hour. I even squeaked one game out. So, of course it turned out to be Raphael who was toying with me lol. Still, he was extremely nice and I am glad that I had the opportunity.

It's really cool when stuff like that happens, I myself have been in similar situations when I was younger (20's) playing players that I didn't know. Cicero Murphy..Jersey Red...Who was that masked man.:D

Bill Incardona

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

It's really cool when stuff like that happens, I myself have been in similar situations when I was younger (20's) playing players that I didn't know. Cicero Murphy..Jersey Red...Who was that masked man.:D

Bill Incardona

One of the funniest things that I saw in the action room at DCC this year Bill was you Puppeteering someone into a game with Russian Kenny. You were a master of "stir the pot and hide your hand " lol.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
SJD

[/B][/QUOTE]

Dick your 100% correct when you described "Little Al" and " One Pocket Rich" as two players that know how to play the game of 'one pocket' It would behoove any player..especially aspiring players that would like to learn the correct way to play one pocket to watch this video.

I watched the first rack and immediately saw moves that should be recognized as basic and necessary moves to incorporate into ones thinking playing one pocket.

2:15 Simple shot (buying time)
2:40 Kick safety
7:10 moving a ball to a more difficult position while passing a marginal bank option
10:10 putting emphasis on cue ball control (speed of cue ball) as opposed to moving balls
10:45 Leaving distance and cue ball placement as a weapon to defend
11:20 excellent shot not playing aggressively or foolishly
11:40 Intelligent move by Al not doing anything dangerous and allowing Rich to make a mistake that could abort his attack. At the same time protecting balls on his side (Al) In spite of leaving Rich a shot as his pocket things worked out for Al because he left Rich a tough shot that Rich gambled with instead of (Al) doing something risky to allow Rich at the table to seriously hurt him.

It would be a service to any one that would like to sharpen their game to watch these two experienced players, even the top players can strengthen their game by watching these two guys.

Bill Incardona