Look at this bank by Tony Chohan against Justin Hall

bernie p

Verified Member
This is a difficult enough shot to execute when you are only a diamond away and putting your bridge hand on the table, let alone several feet away jacked up. :eek:

I'm I the only one who thinks that Tony was really trying to 2 rail this off the back of the stack?

Bernie.

John Brumback

Verified Member
This is a difficult enough shot to execute when you are only a diamond away and putting your bridge hand on the table, let alone several feet away jacked up. :eek:

I'm I the only one who thinks that Tony was really trying to 2 rail this off the back of the stack?

Bernie.

No you are not. After I saw the shot on a bigger screen. No way he played it like that,imo. John B.

PS: the shot went off of the point...not the rail.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Bernie.

Yes. :sorry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah, that may be he was trying to do: either two rails into the stack, or just a take-out.

He had to have contacted the OB on the right side. You can see that the tremendous downward draw came off the OB at a 90 degree angle up table.

It would be nice to see that one from a side view-- as in the Freddie clip.

I just happened to have watched Tony hit a few balls after his win over Hall. He was practicing shooting jacked up off the side rail, and he was missing every shot by undercutting them. Maybe that's what happened here.....

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I ran the vid thru air play on my 55" tv. Ball first two rail off the point similar to Freddy's vid.

There is no way he's trying to come off the bottom of the stack.

I've seen Scott Frost also shoot similar shots but with an angle and hide behind the stack. Bunches of you tube vids of similar shots. Just not jacked up shooting out of the corner

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I ran the vid thru air play on my 55" tv. Ball first two rail off the point similar to Freddy's vid.

There is no way he's trying to come off the bottom of the stack.

I've seen Scott Frost also shoot similar shots but with an angle and hide behind the stack. Bunches of you tube vids of similar shots. Just not jacked up shooting out of the corner

I think he was trying to masse around and kick it out and hit it on the way in and got lucky.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I think he was trying to masse around and kick it out and hit it on the way in and got lucky.

I disagree, Tony has shot similar shots like this and did so in his match against Jeremy. Just not this extreme of an angle. Others who know him say he shoots banks like this quite often.

John Brumback

Verified Member

Maybe so Big John.And he has the savvy to just walk around the table real fast like he played it.

That little part is worth more than most people understand..imo John B.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Maybe so Big John.And he has the savvy to just walk around the table real fast like he played it.

That little part is worth more than most people understand..imo John B.

Could not agree more. Even when I shoot with my eyes closed, I always mean it with my demeanor.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

Bernie.

You may very well be correct, Bernie. Any feel you have with shot is usually with really soft speed. (And a perfect angle, level cue, etc.) One thing, though, that makes me think he went all out and shot off the point it is his reaction as it goes. He seems to snap the chalk up and walk to the next shot pretty spritely!

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I agree.

I was discussing this with Miller earlier today and said exactly the same thing: everyone is oohing and aahing, but he just hit the masse bad, sheet out, and quickly walked to the next shot like he planned it. Who among us has not gotten away with something similar?

Lou Figueroa
can't believe all the
WWYD experts
got so sucked in

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I was going to......

I was going to......

........say,we've all made that shot,just not perhaps in the same pressure cooker,cheers,Bob

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I believe that Tony shot that shot intentionally. He might have had help from the pool gods but more likely he just knew the shot and hit it really good. Everyone here knows the shot where you have a ball sewed to the bottom rail and you are straight in. One way to make the ball and get up table is to jump slightly so that the cue ball contacts the object ball above center and then lands on the edge of the cushion sending it up table. I believe this is what Tony did intentionally only it was a bank off the teat instead of a straight in. We've all made seemingly superhuman shots when we were on a roll. Champions like Tony are just more superhuman to begin with. Some of you will point out that the cue ball landed before it made contact. Yes, but it bounced.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
great onepocket

great onepocket

Danny proved he is a real champion, he broke Tony down by never giving up.His heart to come back in the last set was unbelievable. A great player. Congrats to both guys.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I watched the video and concluded that there's no way he tried to kick the ball back to his side, he played the shot exactly the way the shot played out. By playing the cue ball rail first the 1ball goes into the point and then toward your pocket. You have better control of the cue ball and the 1ball playing it in that fashion, and also the shot is easier to judge because of the closeness the 1ball is to the pocket. For those who think he played it into the stack imo you're mistaken, that type of a hit is too unpredictable and more difficult to judge. I'll ask Tony how he played the shot the next time I talk to him, I talked to him after the match and didn't bring up the shot because I hadn't seen it until this morning.

By the way, both players played excellent and if you watched the match closely and listened to the expert commentary (Scott Rabon) then you have walked away from the match a better player with possibly a new perspective on how to play many shots that you may have been puzzled with before watching and listening to what Scott had to say. Scott is a very intelligent player who plays excellent one pocket and has a great feel for the game, we're lucky to have someone like Scott commentating most of these matches to give us a good understanding on many of the situations that go seemingly unnoticed. Not to mention that he's a "trooper" sticking in there as long as it takes to do the commentary on sets that take over eight to ten hours.

I enjoyed the match immensely and enjoyed Scott as well, Josh also did an excellent job when he was in the booth adding another perspective to the match, great work guy's, you too Ray.

Dr. Bill

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Very good post Dr Bill, agree with you 100%

I watched almost all of the matches, when the stream stayed up anyway, and one thing I noticed time and time again with the top 3 or 4 players is how they don't just simply move a ball over and trap their opponent. They find a way to accomplish that plus a little extra, usually by using another ball or two that's also on the opponents side. So they end up doing 3 or even 4 things in one shot and they are able to execute it without much error. Very creative and aggressive 1P for sure.

I watched the video and concluded that there's no way he tried to kick the ball back to his side, he played the shot exactly the way the shot played out. By playing the cue ball rail first the 1ball goes into the point and then toward your pocket. You have better control of the cue ball and the 1ball playing it in that fashion, and also the shot is easier to judge because of the closeness the 1ball is to the pocket. For those who think he played it into the stack imo you're mistaken, that type of a hit is too unpredictable and more difficult to judge. I'll ask Tony how he played the shot the next time I talk to him, I talked to him after the match and didn't bring up the shot because I hadn't seen it until this morning.

By the way, both players played excellent and if you watched the match closely and listened to the expert commentary (Scott Rabon) then you have walked away from the match a better player with possibly a new perspective on how to play many shots that you may have been puzzled with before watching and listening to what Scott had to say. Scott is a very intelligent player who plays excellent one pocket and has a great feel for the game, we're lucky to have someone like Scott commentating most of these matches to give us a good understanding on many of the situations that go seemingly unnoticed. Not to mention that he's a "trooper" sticking in there as long as it takes to do the commentary on sets that take over eight to ten hours.

I enjoyed the match immensely and enjoyed Scott as well, Josh also did an excellent job when he was in the booth adding another perspective to the match, great work guy's, you too Ray.

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
He was shooting at it. You make it in his pocket, you send it toward your pocket, you double the corners and it goes toward your pocket, you hit it fat and maybe carom off the bottom of the stack, At any rate you take the CB uptable and hope the OB doesn't go over and back.:)
There's a formula for this shot, it's been on youtube with Efren making it. The CB is farther away than what's ideal, but what the hey!

John Brumback

Verified Member
He was shooting at it. You make it in his pocket, you send it toward your pocket, you double the corners and it goes toward your pocket, you hit it fat and maybe carom off the bottom of the stack, At any rate you take the CB uptable and hope the OB doesn't go over and back.:)
There's a formula for this shot, it's been on youtube with Efren making it. The CB is farther away than what's ideal, but what the hey!

"And that folks... is the rest of of the story"...Paul Harvey?? John B.

Wayne

Verified Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_yuUgEpEyg

This is exactly what Tony did but he was jacked up and further away and had to hit it harder. There is no masse, just a straight draw cutting the object ball slightly into the rail and off the point back to his hole. I have played it and had it played on me but I have never tried it jacked up (I don't think I ever will).

I decided to try it on my table with myself slightly jacking up (not to the extent Tony did). The cue ball and the 2 ball are in exactly the line and place where Tony shot it from except I am a couple of inches further off the rail with the cueball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGGnyzzDHpc&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:

Wayne

Verified Member
I agree.

I was discussing this with Miller earlier today and said exactly the same thing: everyone is oohing and aahing, but he just hit the masse bad, sheet out, and quickly walked to the next shot like he planned it. Who among us has not gotten away with something similar?

Lou Figueroa
can't believe all the
WWYD experts
got so sucked in

Wrong on all counts (as usual). No masse, no luck involved and he took his time going to his next shot.