Buddy vs. Cliff, 2001 DCC

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Buddy has just made a straight-back, and has left himself this layout. The announcers believe that the 5-ball can be made straight in. What's the best shot here; and what did Buddy do? ~Doc

Buddy-Cliff 1.jpg

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
Maybe a shot like this....lol

Attachments

• Buddy vs. Cliff, 2001 DCC - OnePocket.png
    Buddy vs. Cliff, 2001 DCC - OnePocket.png
    492.7 KB · Views: 0

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Buddy can tell if the 5 ball goes, and he would shoot it only if he can get shape on the stripe on the short rail. Otherwise, I think he shoots Ace's shot, or passes that up to cut the ball farthest to the right, so he can go back up to the head rail with the cueball.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I definitely like Ace's combination, as long as it's not a natural scratch in the corner...that said...

...because I don't believe the cueball is going to take the path that Ace suggests, i.e. hitting the 15 dead center...I believe it will deflect off the combinated balls to the outside of that 15 ball, hopefully clipping it and deflecting over to the long rail.

- Ghost

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like soft drawing off the 8ball opening up the balls on my side of the table. The cue ball should hit the outside of either the 14ball or the 13ball and then float to the side rail.

Dr. Bill

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I would shoot the 11 ball over toward the stripe nearest my hole and bringing whitey back over by Cliffs side pocket, just keeping things simple but very effective although the angle might be a little off for this shot.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would shoot the 11 ball over toward the stripe nearest my hole and bringing whitey back over by Cliffs side pocket, just keeping things simple but very effective although the angle might be a little off for this shot.

This is what i'd shoot here too. I may use a little inside from the looks of it, and i'd really try to get him right on that rail. I'd want the 11 on the side rail ideally.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Buddy can tell if the 5 ball goes, and he would shoot it only if he can get shape on the stripe on the short rail. Otherwise, I think he shoots Ace's shot, or passes that up to cut the ball farthest to the right, so he can go back up to the head rail with the cueball.

I like soft drawing off the 8ball opening up the balls on my side of the table. The cue ball should hit the outside of either the 14ball or the 13ball and then float to the side rail.

Dr. Bill

i agree with vapros about the 5 ball.buddy wont shoot it just to get one
although a stop shot might leave him a bank on the 7?? into the stripe by his pocket cue ball following to cliffs side rail and behind the stack

alot to be said for simple (best shot(for you) is the one you know you can execute)

for me i like the draw off the 8
its an investment for the future and not too difficult to execute

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
id have to be at the table to say yay or nay for me on aces shot
to get the stripe on cliffs side to go past the side pocket as diagrammed you would have to hit fairly firmly
the balls would have to lined up right so the caroms would work as ace depicted
also to make a 3 ball combo with the amount of distance between the balls is no gimmee
if it doesnt go i think with the cue ball in close proximity to the balls around buddy pocket(ie on or near the short rail) it could leave cliff options to counter the move

the other shots
except for shooting the 5
leave the stack in the way
i like that

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, y'all had some great ideas! I like several of the suggestions. As it happens, Billy I. gets closest to the cookie (a birthday cookie). Buddy studied the table for almost 5 minutes. He then fired in the combination on the 5 ball, hitting the 8 ball first:

Buddy-Cliff 2.jpg

The balls spread open nicely toward his hole, but surprisingly, he didn't have a viable follow-up shot!

Buddy-Cliff 3.jpg

He moved some balls to his hole, and played a safety. They went back and forth. Cliff ultimately left Buddy a shot. Buddy proceeded to run out, and Cliff conceded... ~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well, y'all had some great ideas! I like several of the suggestions. As it happens, Billy I. gets closest to the cookie (a birthday cookie). Buddy studied the table for almost 5 minutes. He then fired in the combination on the 5 ball, hitting the 8 ball first:

View attachment 7340

The balls spread open nicely toward his hole, but surprisingly, he didn't have a viable follow-up shot!

View attachment 7341

He moved some balls to his hole, and played a safety. They went back and forth. Cliff ultimately left Buddy a shot. Buddy proceeded to run out, and Cliff conceded... ~Doc
For Buddy's next shot I like playing the 10ball into the 15ball opening up balls around his pocket. The cue ball should go one rail towards the side pocket. From that position his opponent (Cliff) will be in deep stuff.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
For Buddy's next shot I like playing the 10ball into the 15ball opening up balls around his pocket. The cue ball should go one rail towards the side pocket. From that position his opponent (Cliff) will be in deep stuff.
Bill, that's what he did. He went 12, 10, 15. He barely missed the 15:

Buddy-Cliff 4.jpg