How can you Give..or Take Weight???

strokerace

Verified Member
Is it just for the action..how can you say you won if you were given

11-5..how does that inspire you to be great..i have played some top

players and have won or come close..i just cant feel..WEIGHT!!!...not

giving it..or taking it..now i have been around the block a few times..

but dont you only inspire to the height of your oppenent..what have i

been missing all these years..if you spot me..and i win..i still feel like i

didn't accomplish anything..cause if i got the rolls..as we know..makes or

breaks your game..and the other fellow didn't..then..i could have won

straight up..alot of luck..skill..involved with this game..i get so hot sometimes

that i can't miss..and the rolls keep a coming..just wish it was more often..

but really..what satisfaction does giving..or..taking weight..do for you..just

looking for some honest answers to this question..maybe if i have some imput

i might be able to enjoy this game a lot more..Thanks..Randy

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Most sports are handicapped, below the professional level. It's the only realistic way to hold competitions. There aren't enough players who can compete at the top level, especially when betting is involved. You cannot expect people to lay their money on a match they have little chance of winning, even though laying odds might influence decisions.

Bowling, for example, (which is where most of my experience lies) holds both scratch and handicap championships at local, association and state events, often with a single performance being considered in both categories. Winners in each division are awarded trophies, prize money and badges which identify one as a champion, scratch or handicap division noted. They report results in both, and all the 'winners' regard themselves as champs.
I understand your point, but let's face it. The attitude taken by any competitor is his own business. Don't bother telling the handicap division winners they are dreaming.

Certainly true in gambling. Matches with handicaps continue to be made, and contested and paid. Otherwise there would not be many of them. How you choose to regard the result is your business. Put 'em on your beat list, if you like. It is what it is. :rolleyes:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Evenly handicapped games promote action. If the game's even and you play to the extent of your ability and win it's something to be happy about and proud of.:)
Rod.
PS, Sometimes it takes a while to figure what is even. When the weaker player plays a while he becomes more skilled ( this will happen) then the game needs to be tweaked a little from time to time.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
when 2 people of un equal ability play if the spot is right they both have to play their best to win. if you beat the "weight" you played better than the opponent thought and should be proud of the win.jm2cents

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
strokerace said:
looking for some honest answers to this question..maybe if i have some imput i might be able to enjoy this game a lot more..Thanks..Randy

Start at the beginning, and when you get to the end, stop:) .

First you must define "winning", there are hundreds of definitions for it, all depending on who's defining it. What is winning to you?

Dennis

strokerace

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Start at the beginning, and when you get to the end, stop:) .

First you must define "winning", there are hundreds of definitions for it, all depending on who's defining it. What is winning to you?

Dennis
when you win..cant see a hundred definitions of this..what if the weaker
player is sandbaging..just to win..where is the glory in that!!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
strokerace said:
when you win..cant see a hundred definitions of this..what if the weaker
player is sandbaging..just to win..where is the glory in that!!

SA,

To say that "when you win" is your definition of "what winning is", is analogous to saying that "when it rains outside" is your definition of "what is 'raining outside'?".

Please give a serious definiton of "what winning is" in your opinion. Give a definition that you would put in a dictionary to describe "winning".

Dennis

daphish1

strokerace said:
Is it just for the action..how can you say you won if you were given

11-5..how does that inspire you to be great..i have played some top

players and have won or come close..i just cant feel..WEIGHT!!!...not

giving it..or taking it..now i have been around the block a few times..

but dont you only inspire to the height of your oppenent..what have i

been missing all these years..if you spot me..and i win..i still feel like i

didn't accomplish anything..cause if i got the rolls..as we know..makes or

breaks your game..and the other fellow didn't..then..i could have won

straight up..alot of luck..skill..involved with this game..i get so hot sometimes

that i can't miss..and the rolls keep a coming..just wish it was more often..

but really..what satisfaction does giving..or..taking weight..do for you..just

looking for some honest answers to this question..maybe if i have some imput

i might be able to enjoy this game a lot more..Thanks..Randy

If you are just playing a fun (non-gambling) match then by all means play without a spot. But if you were gambling against a player that's much better then you are, you might win a game or two without a spot but what does giving your money away get you? As you improve, the spot can be adjusted, this actually would give you way to see that you are actually getting better, IMO.

Now if you are talking more about two players who are maybe a ball different and the player who normally gets the ball wants to play even, maybe he'll improve with the challenge, but even then I think that would be for cheap doing that.