Adkins/Frost 2003 D.C.C.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I would probably just make this ball and try and freeze him on the rail. It is just trouble for me there, since it's blocking so much of my lanes and I can't bank it straight back , unless I get in a small area, and even then it's so close to the pocket, bad things could happen.
caliredadkinsfrost.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
t-dog said:
How about the 13 off the long rail off the 7 and into his hole?
t-dog,

That's a very dangerous shot. You'd have to follow up behind the stack with the cueball(adding more speed) to prevent a possible return bank. There's also a fat kiss waiting there if not struck perfectly. Too much risk for too little gain.

t-dog's shot.jpg

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
CaliRed said:
I would probably just make this ball and try and freeze him on the rail. It is just trouble for me there, since it's blocking so much of my lanes and I can't bank it straight back , unless I get in a small area, and even then it's so close to the pocket, bad things could happen.
View attachment 1419
I like your shot. That ball on the spot blocks even more. There is no shot for him except a safe or a suicide shot. Nice choice.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
t-dog said:
How about the 13 off the long rail off the 7 and into his hole?

I was looking at the 13 off the 7 first. Looks like a more natural angle toward Dee's Hole. Cue ball goes two rails into the stack.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
t-dog,

That's a very dangerous shot. You'd have to follow up behind the stack with the cueball(adding more speed) to prevent a possible return bank. There's also a fat kiss waiting there if not struck perfectly. Too much risk for too little gain.

I totally agree with this.

Frank Almanza said:
I like your shot. That ball on the spot blocks even more. There is no shot for him except a safe or a suicide shot. Nice choice.

Frank, First time I disagree with you, I believe....with all due respect, I think your's and Greg's shot is nfg...it gains very little, and the incoming shooter will just thin the 10-1 combination, leaving the 1ball in front of his pocket, the cueball just short of the side pocket, thus having the stack as a blocker - and you're in big trouble.

- Ghost

Skin

Verified Member
I'm going to clear the balls by his hole. Doc's shot looks good except I'd want to put the cb back on the short rail below the stack if possible.

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Frank said:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza

One Pocket Ghost said:
Frank, First time I disagree with you, I believe....with all due respect, I think your's and Greg's shot is nfg...it gains very little, and the incoming shooter will just thin the 10-1 combination, leaving the 1ball in front of his pocket, the cueball just short of the side pocket, thus having the stack as a blocker - and you're in big trouble.

- Ghost

Ghost, To protect my position I'd leave a poser (15 ball) near my pocket.
It looks makeable but I'd make sure not to kiss and try to control the speed.
Rod.

Attachments

• ghost.jpg
    ghost.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I believe that the straight back bank on the 14?ball is possibly makeable...I think that's what I would shoot here, but I wouldn't shoot to make it...I would slightly over-cut it, thus avoiding any kiss, and bank it back at pocket speed, leaving it in front of my pocket....Scott should have some trouble safely responding from there.

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Rod, great minds in tandem again, lol...we were posting the same exact thing, at the same exact time...:)

- Ghost
That would be the shot to shoot but I usually stay away from it because I wind up over-cutting it to avoid the kiss, subsequently sending the ball to mid table. Just too much distance for me to gage the hit.

After studying the layout more I think I would choose gulfportdoc's selection and just wait.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Again the camera angle kind of distorts our options. Even though not too many of us would shoot this shot, (except maybe Rod:eek: ), this is what he did.

Adkin's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left it, he had Scott safe. Scott was not amused as his lackadaisical safety off the 13(shot leading up to this layout) was his last shot of the match. Dee ran 8 & out.

Adkin's Leave.Jpeg

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Again the camera angle kind of distorts our options. Even though not too many of us would shoot this shot, (except maybe Rod:eek: ), this is what he did.

View attachment 1425

Here's how he left it, he had Scott safe. Scott was not amused as his lackadaisical safety off the 13(shot leading up to this layout) was his last shot of the match. Dee ran 8 & out.

View attachment 1426

It appears to me that Atkins correctly sized up the fact that he was in against the better player and if he dinked around Frost would get him into a pretzel hold, so he took a chance.

A good thing to do when a pretzel hold in your future.

What's a pretzel hold? When in the pretzel hold, there is a pair of huevos hanging in your face. The only way out is to bite them...and they are yours. ;)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Skin said:
It appears to me that Atkins correctly sized up the fact that he was in against the better player and if he dinked around Frost would get him into a pretzel hold, so he took a chance.

What's a pretzel hold? When in the pretzel hold, there is a pair of huevos hanging in your face. The only way out is to bite them...and they are yours. ;)
Great assessment of his situation. It was a make it you win or miss it you lose type of shot. LOL on the pretzel hold.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Skin said:

Frank Almanza said:
Great assessment of his situation.

I disagree - I don't at all believe that that was the case - your analysis is based on todays Scott Frost...this match that we're discussing happened almost 8 years/Derby City Tournaments ago...Scott wasn't nearly the One Pocket player back then, that he is now...I know Dee pretty well, and he was/is a great all-around player, with tons of heart...Dee wasn't afraid of Scott's game - in the DCC One Pocket tournament the year before this, Dee came in 9th place, and Scott came in 20th place - and the year before that, Dee won the DCC All-Around!....thing is he plays aggressive, he was down in the ball count, and is a great banker - that's probably why he couldn't resist that cross-corner shot.

- Ghost

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Memories

Memories

I shot the same give up shot against Ronnie A at the Stardust Tourn in 72. I had a tad better angle. I missed it and he ran out.

Beard