Adkins/Frost 2003 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
I disagree - I don't at all believe that that was the case - your analysis is based on todays Scott Frost...this match that we're discussing happened almost 8 years/Derby City Tournaments ago...Scott wasn't nearly the One Pocket player back then, that he is now...I know Dee pretty well, and he was/is a great all-around player, with tons of heart...Dee wasn't afraid of Scott's game - in the DCC One Pocket tournament the year before this, Dee came in 9th place, and Scott came in 20th place - and the year before that, Dee won the DCC All-Around!....thing is he plays aggressive, he was down in the ball count, and is a great banker - that's probably why he couldn't resist that cross-corner shot.

- Ghost
I agree 100% with Ghosty here. I don't know Dee but he was always seemingly under control, coolheaded, & calm under pressure, all qualities that I admire. He never gave the impression in this DVD that he was intimidated in the least by the Scott Frost of 7 years ago.

I think that Scott played the safety leading up to this shot because he couldn't imagine anybody shooting at their pocket from there.

I would bet serious cash on Dee Adkins because of his comportment at the table in this match, I still would not bet a nickel on Scott Frost doing anything.

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
...thing is he plays aggressive, he was down in the ball count, and is a great banker - that's probably why he couldn't resist that cross-corner shot.
Maybe so. It's difficult to argue with success. And maybe the shot appeared easier in person than it does on the screen. But he was gambling the entire match (and possibly the tournament) on that one tricky shot. He misses it, Scott wins.

It's always good for the crowd or the "newsreels" to go out with a big bang, overcome the odds, and all that. It reminds me of two guys in a duel. They take 60 paces, turn around, point, aim, and shoot. The guy that gets the best shot, wins. The guy who screws up loses.

Shots like Dee's you'd expect to see in a gambling match; to where, if the guy misses one of these and loses, they rack em up and go at it again. In this case the shot was for all the marbles. Everyone has their own style. Dee got away with it, and looked good doing it.

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Maybe so. It's difficult to argue with success. And maybe the shot appeared easier in person than it does on the screen. But he was gambling the entire match (and possibly the tournament) on that one tricky shot. He misses it, Scott wins.

It's always good for the crowd or the "newsreels" to go out with a big bang, overcome the odds, and all that. It reminds me of two guys in a duel. They take 60 paces, turn around, point, aim, and shoot. The guy that gets the best shot, wins. The guy who screws up loses.

Shots like Dee's you'd expect to see in a gambling match; to where, if the guy misses one of these and loses, they rack em up and go at it again. In this case the shot was for all the marbles. Everyone has their own style. Dee got away with it, and looked good doing it.

Doc

Doc.....I'm also thinking that he might have thought that in shooting the bank, the cue ball would carom off of the bottom of the 1ball/or off of the 1 and the pink ball, to the long rail below the 7ball, thereby being safe if he missed, and having a shot if he made the bank.

- Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis could you explain why??
Three reasons(at least) Larry. One is that I've never been smart enough to bet on people who beat everybody they play. The second is that I don't bet on people who can't afford to bet on themselves. The third is that I know very little about Scott's game but from what I have seen of it, I don't like it. He's mentally lazy, lackadaisical, shows too much emotion when he makes a mistake and he's just not the kind of person that I would bet my money on, but neither are most poolplayers. That's why I bet on me.

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Doc.....I'm also thinking that he might have thought that in shooting the bank, the cue ball would carom off of the bottom of the 1ball/or off of the 1 and the pink ball, to the long rail below the 7ball, thereby being safe if he missed, and having a shot if he made the bank.
Well, I'm sure he'd tell you that if you asked him...:D

Doc