Legal Hit

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
cue ball frozen to the object ball ,you attempt to bank the object ball one rail straight back, you jack up and shoot on a 45 degree angle. Legal or Foul??????

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Legal Hit

was a clean shot.The person who made the call ,called it a foul,I promise you ,he will NEVER in life make another call in a match that i am in,it cost me the game not to mention the CHEESE Thanks Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
That's a legal shot, as long as you don't double hit the CB.

Doc
Because they were frozen, right? If there was any air between them, the rules are different, correct?

BCA GENERAL RULES OF POCKET BILLIARDS said:
3.23 FOULS BY DOUBLE HITS
If the cue ball is touching the required object ball prior to the shot, the player may shoot toward it, providing that any normal stroke is employed. If the cue stick strikes the cue ball more than once on a shot, or if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when or after the cue ball contacts an object ball, the shot is a foul. (See Rule 2.20 for judging this kind of shot.) If a third ball is close by, care should be taken not to foul that ball under the first part of this rule.

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Let me say something.

Let me say something.

NH Steve said:
Because they were frozen, right? If there was any air between them, the rules are different, correct?

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

Things may have changed. In my day, It did not matter if you were frozen or 1/4 inch away from the ball, If you elevated the butt of your cue, you were allowed to follow through. Grady agreed with that, and called my shot "good" ( in his tournament)
in more than one awkward situation. If that is not a correct call, then I would like Grady to respond. You should be allowed to follow through. I have lost several crucial games (and won a few) by adhering to these long accepted rules.

Dick

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here is the other part of the rule, referenced in the one I quoted below:

BCA General Rules of Pocket Billiards said:
2.20 JUDGING DOUBLE HITS
When the distance between the cue ball and the object ball is less than the width of a chalk cube, (See Diagram 18) special attention from the referee is required. In such a situation, unless the referee can positively determine a legal shot has been performed, the following guidance may apply: if the cue ball follows through the object ball more than 1/2 ball, it is a foul.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Legal Hit

There was not a double hit and the cue tip "DID NOT STAY" with the cue ball after striking the object ball . It was unfortunate that the wrong person was called to judge the hit . "It WONT HAPPEN AGAIN"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
That's correct, Steve. The BCA came up with the "cube of chalk" rule, which is what I understood for years. I'm not sure without checking what the new WPA standardized rule is on that circumstance.

There's been a huge amount of discussion on this subject on several occasions on AZB-- complete with super slow-mo video references and the like.

The average experienced player believes that as long as the shooter aims down on the cueball from a 45 degree angle or so, it will not result in a double hit. However that is not necessarily true, as demonstrated by the videos. Also the videos show that it is actually possible to shoot at a nearly frozen ball with a level cue and NOT get a double hit.

However, in all but big events, or sanctioned tournaments, I'm sure we're stuck with the cube of chalk rule for the forseeable future. The fact is that most guys have come to agree that elevating cue releases them from any accusations of the dreaded "push shot"...:rolleyes:

In practical terms, it's a very difficult call for a referee. Some guys say they can "hear" a double hit. Thankfully it doesn't come up nearly as much in 1P as it does in rotation games.

Regarding a ball frozen to the cueball: legally it seems like the shooter can do just about anything with it he wants; including shoot through the OB, shoot diagonally away at an angle, or elevate the butt.

Doc

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...thaks Doc..

...thaks Doc..

...thaks for that thread Doc.....about 10 years ago..I was playin' a guy in a bar for a "C" note.....and convinced him and the sweaters...that by the sound of the hit...I didn't double hit the cue ball....lol....I... "almost"...felt guilty for all these years.....now I feel vindicated...and can spend the money....in good concience.....lol....