efren/scott #4596

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Well, Reyes hit it with good speed, as you'd expect from him. He must have felt that the angle wasn't there for the ticky. I'm a little surprised he didn't shoot Jeff's suggestion. Evidently he didn't like the angle. Still, he hasn't gained anything here, and has simply given up a point. Scott will get out of this easily, and leave him tough.

It just goes to show how careful these guys are when playing a known ball runner. They're determined not to leave anything, because if you do, you'll sit there and watch the opponent run ball after ball....

~Doc

good point doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
This is not something I would shoot, speed control is too demanding. Good WWYD, thanks for posting.

Actually is was a great/smart shot far better than any other suggestions.. The speed isnt demanding at all because you can hit the stripe and still double him up... if the stripe wasnt there for a buffer then the speed would be demanding.. everyone seems to overlook the intentional foul value.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Actually is was a great/smart shot far better than any other suggestions.. The speed isnt demanding at all because you can hit the stripe and still double him up... if the stripe wasnt there for a buffer then the speed would be demanding.. everyone seems to overlook the intentional foul value.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, his position isn't great here and I would expect Scott to lock him down hard from here. On a tournament table where I'm kicking 2 rails on new cloth that's changing daily, speed is a factor..for me anyway.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, his position isn't great here and I would expect Scott to lock him down hard from here. On a tournament table where I'm kicking 2 rails on new cloth that's changing daily, speed is a factor..for me anyway.

To each his own.. however for the record the shot you suggested was way more speed and hit demanding than the shot Efren chose.. There is ONE ball Efren is guarding against and it is the hardest to guard against... that being the 3 ball... all the other balls are easy to defend against. this is why Efren chose the intentional because he knew if Scott could see the 3 ball the game was over.... one other thing guys, a little food for thought.... the greatest one pocket player in history with the greatest imagination in history and the greatest touch decided to take an intentional instead of choosing any of the other options mentioned... ask yourself WHY?

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Very good point, I definitely learned something from this WWYD.

To each his own.. however for the record the shot you suggested was way more speed and hit demanding than the shot Efren chose.. There is ONE ball Efren is guarding against and it is the hardest to guard against... that being the 3 ball... all the other balls are easy to defend against. this is why Efren chose the intentional because he knew if Scott could see the 3 ball the game was over.... one other thing guys, a little food for thought.... the greatest one pocket player in history with the greatest imagination in history and the greatest touch decided to take an intentional instead of choosing any of the other options mentioned... ask yourself WHY?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

good point rob...:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Very good.

Thanks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... the greatest one pocket player in history with the greatest imagination in history and the greatest touch decided to take an intentional instead of choosing any of the other options mentioned... ask yourself WHY?
I think the main consideration is being on the rail at that distance. After all, if he were a foot off the rail, he'd have simply shot in the 2 ball.

When looking over the possibilities he was looking for the best safe which was the easiest to accomplish from the rail. The other choices may have been better, but much harder and more treacherous to execute.

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Efren is a master at thinking the game, along with having the tools to accomplish anything his imagination can conceive. It would really be fascinating to actually hear what's going on inside his head when it's his turn at the table. This WWYD is just one example of his independent thinking. It would be great to have access to his thought process throughout a series of one pocket games. When he makes a tape, I'll be the first in line to buy it! :)

I imagine there are others ( top minds) who have similar thoughts about shot selection, but none quite like the legendary Efren "Bata" Reyes.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Efren is a master at thinking the game, along with having the tools to accomplish anything his imagination can conceive. It would really be fascinating to actually hear what's going on inside his head when it's his turn at the table. This WWYD is just one example of his independent thinking. It would be great to have access to his thought process throughout a series of one pocket games. When he makes a tape, I'll be the first in line to buy it! :)

I imagine there are others ( top minds) who have similar thoughts about shot selection, but none quite like the legendary Efren "Bata" Reyes.

accustats has several dvds of matches with a player review done afterwards
where the player tells you what he was thinking at that time or if he doesnt remember what he did how he assesses the situation now
they are very informative
too bad there isnt one of efren doing his player review

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Everyone's always looking for a homerun when a bunt is in order:). It's a manly way of extending the game one more shot:D.

View attachment 14399

That is a good shot that I would not shoot because there is 1/16 th inch clearance on the side you are playing to. You are shooting it length of the table from close to rail at medium speed, it is doable but too dangerous even for Efren (I think),

You have much better eyes than I and can also interpret a two-dimensional layout into a three-dimensional layout better than I. I thought there was at least 5/64" clearance there:D.

I think you are right though because Efren would've shot it had it been available.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
accustats has several dvds of matches with a player review done afterwards
where the player tells you what he was thinking at that time or if he doesnt remember what he did how he assesses the situation now
they are very informative
too bad there isnt one of efren doing his player review

I believe that would help to speed learning process Larry, the post game interview that is, however I was thinking more along the lines of a virtual camera, kinda like being able to walk up to the table with Efren and seeing exactly what he sees at the exact time he sees it and at the same time being able to hear exactly what he is thinking as his eyes ( and mine) scan the table in search of the best, most suitable or appropriate shot considering all factors including my opponents strengths and weaknesses.

I know this is fantasyland thinking, but it ain't as far fetched as some might believe. If you watch much video, and look at the eyes of the incoming player, it's fairly clear in what direction they are looking and as you continue to watch you see them move their eyes and bodies around the table to different viewing angles all the while studying the options available to them. If only you could somehow participate in their ritual, be in tune with their thoughts, that would move the learning curve up a few notches and you'd soon make the jump to light speed.

Sometimes when the match has a very knowledgeable commentator, like Dr. Bill, Grady, Jeremy Jones, and a few others, they are able to follow the shooters train of thought as they watch his eyes travel around the table. I imagine this is due in part to the vast amount of knowledge they have about the game of one pocket and I suspect also their ability to see, perform, and execute shots similar to the player at the table.

Wow, I'm sorry, I just got carried away rambling on about something that's probably not ever going to happen, and might really be out of the realm of possibility.

My typewriter ribbon is out of ink.....

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

It would be fascinating to be privy to Efren's reasoning. But I've never felt that it was his shot selection that made him a great player. Lots of guys can see some imaginative and creative shots. But it's his other-wordly execution and touch that sets him apart. And unfortunately that probably can't be learned.:(

~Doc