Old-schoolers to Nederlands?

Eengat

Verified Member
16-19th of june the Deurne City Classic will be played in Poolhall Ames in Deurne.
Bankpool, one-pocket and a two-day 9-ball tournament with Mosconi ranking points
A nice international field with many European champions with a marginal clue about one-pocket.
Would be great if any of y'all could make the trip...Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Deurne...makes sense
Www.amesdeurne.nl
Www.deurnecityclassic.com

beatle

Verified Member
i wish you the best of luck. but your entry fees are like 30 euro or less. that is the price of a meal. you might as well make it free and just give a trophy and then you would get a lot of entries if that is what you are looking for.

that is what hurts pool your winnings in an event does not even pay for your room stay.

beatle

Verified Member
john i agree in little local tournaments how great they are for pool. but this is an invitation for players to come from all over the world to play for peanuts.

just my opinion on things as i have seen how poker went from a slow growth game where only a few could win much to giant world wide events that make winners millionaires. all during the time pool has receded to less gambling and smaller payout tournaments, with excuses for why it has happened.

to make it worse many of the pool players went to the poker tables and for good reason.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It's a start -- and I certainly appreciate seeing One Pocket and Banks getting a small toe-hold in Europe. Just look at who finished second in DCC One Pocket this year -- Niels Feijin of the Netherlands.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I'm not saying this to promote my book or pat myself on the back but from the numerous sales to various Countries in Europe, I would say that One Pocket's popularity is growing very quickly. Netherlands, Switzerland, Croatia, Norway, Poland, England, Denmark ....

One Pocket is alive and well world wide! Hip Hip Hooray! :):):)

BTW...Niels' wife bought him a copy of my book for a Christmas present.. He must be a quick study...Just sayin'
Tom

beatle

Verified Member
like i said its great that they have it and are promoting one pocket.

i just want to see the game of pool get out of the dirt. and that has to be by getting some money involved in it.

players need to put up some money to enter a tournament that is structured so most have some kind of a chance. instead of the old way with the top five guys taking all the money down almost every single time.

along with the tournament promoter being able to make a few bucks instead of losing on most tournaments.

that is my rant anyway, sorry.

treeMan

Verified Member
like i said its great that they have it and are promoting one pocket.

i just want to see the game of pool get out of the dirt. and that has to be by getting some money involved in it.

players need to put up some money to enter a tournament that is structured so most have some kind of a chance. instead of the old way with the top five guys taking all the money down almost every single time.

along with the tournament promoter being able to make a few bucks instead of losing on most tournaments.

that is my rant anyway, sorry.

This is me just stating the obvious and/or pipe dream scenario, but anyway - in pretty much any competition there are the top 5 guys/teams who can realistically win or place real high. Handicapping it in some way is not the solution imo. What pool needs is enough sponsorship money where a 50th or 100th ranked player could play in a major trny without putting up a few grand for entry/travel/rooming and be guaranteed to come out ahead, at least a little bit, without having to finish in the top 5.

tree

beatle

Verified Member
why would you sponsor someone who doesnt have a chance. that is the same as burning money or just making a gift of a free vacation for someone.

treeMan

Verified Member
why would you sponsor someone who doesnt have a chance. that is the same as burning money or just making a gift of a free vacation for someone.

In this hypothetical world the sponsors would make money from advertisements and exposure, just like any other event which doesn't rely on the competitors themselves to fund the purse.