Some responding over here

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
It's hard for me to keep track of all the threads/posts, so I'm going to bring/respond to a few over here on this 'clean sheet of paper'...

I think Ghost showed he can mix it up for the cash. As far as the rolls, that is pool when you play for 18+ hours over three days.

He made some remarkable comebacks under pressure and so did I. He certainly banked better than I did, but I came with some key banks when I needed them.

John, I partially disagree here...I may have hit the cross-corners better than you, but not the straight backs - I think those were about a push......and yes, you did hang and/or make some very key banks.

We both missed balls and made mistakes and under the circumstances, that can be expected.

We each had one eight and out in three days. That table is tough and will make you miss shots and shorten your stroke a little.

Red Shoes is a great players room. The sweators were quiet and respectful and I would like to thank everyone involved for the experience. Especially the Ghost for getting up and playing, and Red Shoes for letting us get it on. It was too bad someone had to lose, but that is gambling, and this was a gamble. Riva was there supporting her guy every game.

I would not pay much attention to any negative comments. I think overall they were very positive and appreciative of our effort.

It was great to see my old friends and meet new ones. I will come back and do it again if we can put another one together, but you have to give it a little time. I have another match to line up first.

We will definitely give it a little time...but you know what? - already today, a couple of our noble onepocket.org members contacted me to tell me that they'll make the rematch happen on my behalf, financially, if I want...:eek:...John, we'll be in touch...:heh

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Who can tell me how tight the pockets are on that table? I've played on it but have forgotten. Very tight pockets(say 4" or so) can really mess with your confidence. This will get you cinching one or two balls rather than playing shapes for longer runs.

I believe they are a hair over 4" Petie, maybe 4 1/4 max.

JOHN,
Would you say the pockets had the effect on you and Luke that I mentioned or is it just me who has a hard time with them?

I am sure it effected both of us. There is a slight roll out on the pocket that he missed the shot down the rail on, and it looked to me after reviewing the video, that he shot it a little inside, either deliberately or subconsciously to compensate.

The object ball would take a slight turn right before the pocket when you had good pocket speed. This is not a knock on the table, no table plays perfect and this particular table is great to play on, but that can enter your mind when shooting shots with pocket speed down the rail at that hole.

I'll address these posts...

Not only are the pockets tight..let me mention another factor that hasn't been mentioned that also plays into this...Chicago was having a heatwave Sun. and Mon. - 94 degrees with mega-high humidity - making the table play even tougher, and slower - that also had a lot to do with John and I feeling that the prudent/smart thing to do most of the time was to cinch a couple/few balls at a time...

I sure would like to see, the chatroom nits, (unfortunately including a couple who are members of this site) who knocked us for not running balls, bet $4,000, then come on down there on a 94 degree day, when they're 66 - 73 yrs. old, and show us how they will fire balls in like Shane, or Earl, or Corey.

I still take responsibility for missing the shot..with that said..John you are exactly right re. my thinking when missing that game ball...I was trying to play the roll a little and wound up undercutting it a little as a result....and as John knows after all the hours we played on that table..depending on speed, and the tangent angle coming towards the pocket, the roll-off to that pocket is more than just 1/4" as was incorrectly posted up earlier today.

- Ghost

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Ghost, if you had that hill-hill shot again in the same spot, would you shoot it the same speed and stroke?

Nice match by the way. As you have already seen, we all enjoyed it and this could be nothing but good for one pocket. I have already said I think some little rivalries and inspiration could have been originated here. Great job, as that and good one pocket is really what it's all about.

I also found the spot John was in very interesting with the spot shot vs the bank with ball behind the line.

Regards.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'll address these posts...

Not only are the pockets tight..let me mention another factor that hasn't been mentioned that also plays into this...Chicago was having a heatwave Sun. and Mon. - 94 degrees with mega-high humidity - making the table play even tougher, and slower - that also had a lot to do with John and I feeling that the prudent/smart thing to do most of the time was to cinch a couple/few balls at a time...

I sure would like to see, the chatroom nits, (unfortunately including a couple who are members of this site) who knocked us for not running balls, bet $4,000, then come on down there on a 94 degree day, when they're 66 - 73 yrs. old, and show us how they will fire balls in like Shane, or Earl, or Corey.

I still take responsibility for missing the shot..with that said..John you are exactly right re. my thinking when missing that game ball...I was trying to play the roll a little and wound up undercutting it a little as a result....and as John knows after all the hours we played on that table..depending on speed, and the tangent angle coming towards the pocket, the roll-off is more than just 1-4" as was incorrectly posted up earlier today.

- Ghost

Nothing seems to work as well in humidity. It is the one circumstance that makes me reach for powder or the glove. Your stroke is so much harder to finesse when its all sticky. You did a great job, Luke.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Ghost

Ghost

One Pocket Ghost, I gave my opion but I left out that IMO I think you are a better onepocket player then J.H. You played a great match but I thought you were under much more pressure then J.H. Anytime people are betting on a person the player has much more pressure on him. Also if you played him 100 or 200 a game you would win by a margin of 2 games to one. Again just my opion. You play great one pocket.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost, I gave my opion but I left out that IMO I think you are a better onepocket player then J.H. You played a great match but I thought you were under much more pressure then J.H. Anytime people are betting on a person the player has much more pressure on him. Also if you played him 100 or 200 a game you would win by a margin of 2 games to one. Again just my opion. You play great one pocket.

I agree about playing on other peoples money, that is one of the reasons I bet my own, but your last statement, after it came down to one ball after 20+ hours and considering I am playing on his home court, seems a little out there.

You are entitled to your opinion and we will probably play again. Fast Eddie liked to gamble, do you?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
If you guys play again will it be in California since John went to Chicago?

I like Chicago and would be happy to go back. I would want to bet a little more since the nut was fairly high, and I am sure that would be accommodated. Maybe if I didn't eat so much, but the food is terrific.

We did play a short set in California three or four years back. Ghost won.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Too john h.

Too john h.

Hi John, ask Harry Plattis about me betting, he knows.You are right about me not considering you played him on his home court but the pressure never showed when you were shooting, you just love the game. Also I saw you beat the great ARTIE so you proved to me you have lots of heart. I hear you play 3 Cushion too.I'll might meet up with you in D.C.C. GREAT MATCH and great HEART. You're like fine Wine the older the better

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
I still take responsibility for missing the shot..with that said..John you are exactly right re. my thinking when missing that game ball...I was trying to play the roll a little and wound up undercutting it a little as a result....and as John knows after all the hours we played on that table..depending on speed, and the tangent angle coming towards the pocket, the roll-off is more than just 1-4" as was incorrectly posted up earlier today.

- Ghost

Maybe you missed my posts, or don't want to answer. Either way is understandable. I think you should have shot the ball the most "comfortable" way for you to pocket it. For me it's just a stop shot stroke medium speed. Obviously you were concerned with the 15.

Would you shoot it the same speed again in the same circumstance? Again I'm curious as to the long stall before you shot the ball vs the very brief amount of time you took back cutting the two balls off the spot?

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Too John H.

Too John H.

About betting a little I forgot you know Ernesto D. ask Ernesto about 1986 at Atlantic City the one handed game, you'll love the story.FastEddieF. from Baltimore. Also I've been up and down the latter many times,horses,cards, dice and very little Pool. I hope to meet you in D.C.C. where you beat the great Artie about 3 or 4 years ago.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Maybe you missed my posts, or don't want to answer. Either way is understandable. I think you should have shot the ball the most "comfortable" way for you to pocket it. For me it's just a stop shot stroke medium speed. Obviously you were concerned with the 15.

Would you shoot it the same speed again in the same circumstance? Again I'm curious as to the long stall before you shot the ball vs the very brief amount of time you took back cutting the two balls off the spot?

1on1....I have no problem answering any question that isn't from a nit or a knocker...wasn't ignoring you - just been busy working and haven't caught up on all the threads/posts...so to answer you...

Unless more cueball speed is necessary for position, to break up the pack, or to shoot some type of power-shot, I play a pocket speed style of game..that's what I firmly believe in, and that's what I teach...

That said, I would shoot that shot down the rail that I missed, the same way again.....everybody has their own preference, but speaking for myself, I'm most comfortable, and have my highest pocketing % by shooting most shots with a medium speed, forward rolling cueball......I play only One Pocket..maybe if I played rotation games I'd favor a different stroke...

As for the backward cut spot shots that I shot - I like thin cuts and usually hit them pretty good, including that shot..all One Pocket players often shoot that shot - as we all know, they're tough to resist - sometimes we hit them good, sometimes we don't...I haven't looked at the tape of those shots yet, maybe I shot those too fast...I'm mad at myself because as we all know, if you're gonna miss that shot, you gotta miss it by overcutting it, and I didn't accomplish that...and what was bad for me re. that shot is, I was shooting that shot after playing 7 hours, and my long distance vision wasn't top notch at that point - I know I would have hit it better, or made it, at 3 in the afternoon.

- Ghost

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Maybe you missed my posts, or don't want to answer. Either way is understandable.
Again I'm curious as to the long stall before you shot the ball vs the very brief amount of time you took back cutting the two balls off the spot?

I think 1on1 was mostly interested in the long stall before you shot, as am I. You seem to have refrained from addressing any comments regarding your pace of play. I mean you had JR sitting in his chair for about 15 hours out of the 20 or so that were played. Hopefully you don't teach that as well.

Your game is good, you move good and are creative. I doubt that playing that slow helps your game.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I don't know where people get off by making negative comments about either player. Both know the game. Both are not in their prime. You got to see two knowledgeable players play for the cheese. Say something like Great Game Ghost, now it's one to one, when's the playoff. Or, for a guy way past retirement age, you still have it JR. The rail birds never miss from the rail and always won when they were on the other side.:lol:heh:cool::eek:

beatle

Verified Member
there is certainly no reason to knock players or be disrespectful. but these two guys put their match up for all to see.

and all to see also means all to comment on it. everyone has different comments. they arent always what we want to hear.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
1on1....I have no problem answering any question that isn't from a nit or a knocker...wasn't ignoring you - just been busy working and haven't caught up on all the threads/posts...so to answer you...

Unless more cueball speed is necessary for position, to break up the pack, or to shoot some type of power-shot, I play a pocket speed style of game..that's what I firmly believe in, and that's what I teach...

That said, I would shoot that shot down the rail that I missed, the same way again.....everybody has their own preference, but speaking for myself, I'm most comfortable, and have my highest pocketing % by shooting most shots with a medium speed, forward rolling cueball......I play only One Pocket..maybe if I played rotation games I'd favor a different stroke...

As for the backward cut spot shots that I shot - I like thin cuts and usually hit them pretty good, including that shot..all One Pocket players often shoot that shot - as we all know, they're tough to resist - sometimes we hit them good, sometimes we don't...I haven't looked at the tape of those shots yet, maybe I shot those too fast...I'm mad at myself because as we all know, if you're gonna miss that shot, you gotta miss it by overcutting it, and I didn't accomplish that...and what was bad for me re. that shot is, I was shooting that shot after playing 7 hours, and my long distance vision wasn't top notch at that point - I know I would have hit it better, or made it, at 3 in the afternoon.

- Ghost

I appreciate your reply. I would agree if you played rotation you would shoot that shot a different way. I can see how somebody that only plays one pocket would want to roll it and try to avoid selling out the 15 ball.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Your game is good, you move good and are creative. I doubt that playing that slow helps your game.

yes, paralysis by analysis are my thoughts. took entirely too long too often but that's an opinion of a not slow player

... despite some poor decisions, some at very risky times (your 15ft kick shot comes to mind :)) it was without a doubt a fantastic match. you guys provided quality one pocket entertainment. thinking maybe there'd be a streaming pay market for quality minor league players?

good job fellas, totally enjoyed old-school warriors of OnePocket doing their thing

many thanks for your time and efforts. anxiously awaiting your next venture :)

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I think 1on1 was mostly interested in the long stall before you shot, as am I. You seem to have refrained from addressing any comments regarding your pace of play. I mean you had JR sitting in his chair for about 15 hours out of the 20 or so that were played. Hopefully you don't teach that as well.

This is in poor taste imo. No reason to keep hounding this point.

How fast do you shoot when you play one pocket for a few dimes?

If a "deliberate" player ever caught wind that waiting to shoot bothered you so much they might play slower yet just to get under your skin.. ;)

Dudley

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
This is in poor taste imo. No reason to keep hounding this point.

How fast do you shoot when you play one pocket for a few dimes?

If a "deliberate" player ever caught wind that waiting to shoot bothered you so much they might play slower yet just to get under your skin.. ;)

Dudley

It's funny that you posted this. In the late sixties I played a guy giving up 11 to 4. At one point he says to me that I'm taking too long. I looked at him and said "I'd like to see how fast you'll play giving up 11/4 for $100". Which was a fair wager for that time.
My experience tells me that when someone complains about how slow you're playing it's because they are losing. When they're winning it doesn't bother them.