DCC cue ball

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
My experience so far with the 2 cue balls is that the measles takes a wider carom on most shots. Especially with follow and side. It doesn't seem to go thru the object ball as well.

Bill S.

Sorry Mr. Stroud but I disagree with that statement. I believe the measles ball goes thru the object ball better than the red circle.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Sorry Mr. Stroud but I disagree with that statement. I believe the measles ball goes thru the object ball better than the red circle.

Frank, having shot some 14.1 with the Measles, I have to say that this goes contrary to my personal experience. Like Bill, my experience is that the Measles does not go through the object balls as well as the Red Circle. And definitely not a stack of them.

Lou Figueroa

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
The only difference I noticed. I'm always seeing spots before my eyes.
I must aim differently. It's distracting to me. :eek:
Rod.

I am in agreement with you, Rod. I find all those dots distracting when I am lining up on a shot. Then again, old folks distract easy. :(

Later, Pel

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
My own theory is that, while they weigh the same, I think the measles has a heavier core. I have absolutely no evidence for this, just an intuitive guess based upon how the ball behaves.

Lou Figueroa

I was playing the other night with friends on a closed barbox, so we would have to pull out a circle ball when the measle dropped. Sometimes it seemed as though it was closer to playing with a heavier bar ball, making it feel as though it were, in fact, more dense. Next time, I'll spend a bit playing with both to do some more comparisons.

bstroud

Verified Member
It's a real shame that pool doesn't have a rigid testing body like golf.

it's just one of the reasons I had to give up playing pool to make a real living.

Pool doesn't even have any standards for pocket width and pocket drop like snooker does. What a shame.

Valley tables play one way. Diamond bar tables play another. Gold Crowns play one way. Diamonds play another. What are manufactures thinking? Do they even care about the players that use their equipment?

How is a player to prepare for all the possible differences?

Makes one want to go back to a simple game like Chess.

The pool governing bodies seem like the current Congress. Unable to agree on anything.

Where is the rational thinking?

Am I crazy? If not, I soon will be.

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

it's just one of the reasons I had to give up playing pool to make a real living.

Pool doesn't even have any standards for pocket width and pocket drop like snooker does. What a shame.

Valley tables play one way. Diamond bar tables play another. Gold Crowns play one way. Diamonds play another. What are manufactures thinking? Do they even care about the players that use their equipment?

The pool governing bodies seem like the current Congress. Unable to agree on anything.

Bill S.

Toughen up. :D
Rod.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Frank, having shot some 14.1 with the Measles, I have to say that this goes contrary to my personal experience. Like Bill, my experience is that the Measles does not go through the object balls as well as the Red Circle. And definitely not a stack of them.

Lou Figueroa

I think in time you might change your mind. The measles ball= harder to draw and better with follow. Just the opposite with draw using the red circle. I have logged in hundreds of hours (maybe a couple of thousand) with the measles ball. Maybe our the definition of going through the object balls means something different to each us.

bstroud

Verified Member
Frank,

I have set up the same partial follow shot with high inside and my result at least is that the measles ball takes a wider angle to the rail. Thus I concluded that it goes thru the object ball less well.

Perhaps you will get a different result.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
Toughen up. :D
Rod.

Thanks Rod,

When I was on the road as a young pool hustler tables were different for sure.

Most were Brunswick of some kind and a few Gandy and others.

All the balls were Brunswick.

I had no problem adjusting to the differences.

Now there are CG and Diamonds and the differences are far greater than in the past. Add in the Aramith balls and the differences become really significant.

Now put in 4" pockets and you can see why anyone would have trouble adjusting.

Bill S.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I think in time you might change your mind. The measles ball= harder to draw and better with follow. Just the opposite with draw using the red circle. I have logged in hundreds of hours (maybe a couple of thousand) with the measles ball. Maybe our the definition of going through the object balls means something different to each us.

What I'm saying is that on a break shot my experience is that a RC is more likely to go through the stack vs a MB which, given the same shot, is more likely to go off the side of the stack or even freeze to it.

Lou Figueroa

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Bill S.

Bill,

While I agree pool needs a set of standards for pocket dimensions, there is still a heck of a lot of adjusting to do in golf. Just as you compared Valley, Gold Crown, and Diamond tables all playing differently, the same can be said for Bent greens, Bermuda greens, Poana greens, etc. There is always going to have to be adjustments made in any sport you play. Now Chess, I consider that a game and not a sport... but the conditions are pretty darn consistent. ;)