Watching Efren play Onepocket..the first time

John Brumback

Verified Member
I got to watch Efren the first time he played 1 hole. It was In Lex.ky. When he first came around these parts. I think Fredddie was coaching him against Grady.
Well he didn't know anything about the game.He just shot the shot that was In front of him.He didn't really care or understand what Freddie was telling him to shoot. I was setting right there,20 feet from the table. The reason I'm putting this on here Is because I get so tired of people saying your supposed
to shoot this or your supposed do this and on and on. Even when I was young and dumb and green,I would argue with alot of the ole timers on which Is the right or wrong shot. I would say..how could It be the wrong shot when they may have just sat there and watch me runout or come with a great bankshot and win,and they still would say..well you won but you shouldn't have shot that shot like you did. Like I was winning the wrong way.LOL

Efren was spin cutting balls In backwards, and banking,and kicking, and shooting combos. Billiards,caroms.Just what ever shot that HE knew he could make.
He didn't know or care what anybody else thought. To him, It was just another game of pool.All he knew was that he needed to get 8 In his pocket before the guy he was playing did. I just never did and still don't get the part about the ("what your supposed to do") Maybe I'm just hard headed but I'm with Shannon Daulton on this...One of the best tips SD has gave me has been that every time you step up to the table..It's a new game or new shot.
He says that It doesn't matter what you have done the last 10 shots....You still have to shoot the shot that's In front of you now. That's how SD approaches the table every time he steps up. Seems to work good for him also.

Here's my little tip that I'v been saying for along time.
No matter what GAME your playing...If It's on a pool table It's just another
POOL shot.Doesn't matter what the name of the game Is..It's still just another POOL shot. I here people complain all the time that they don't like going from say banks to 9 ball to one pocket so on so ect. It really doesn't and shouldn't matter, If you just do like Efren does and just shoot the POOL shot that's right In front of you. Banking kicking whatever It's just another POOL shot.
Well, It's to wet to plow today. So I just thought I would throw this out here.
Good day,John B.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
John Brumback said:
I got to watch Efren the first time he played 1 hole. It was In Lex.ky. When he first came around these parts. I think Fredddie was coaching him against Grady.
Well he didn't know anything about the game.He just shot the shot that was In front of him.He didn't really care or understand what Freddie was telling him to shoot. I was setting right there,20 feet from the table. The reason I'm putting this on here Is because I get so tired of people saying your supposed
to shoot this or your supposed do this and on and on. Even when I was young and dumb and green,I would argue with alot of the ole timers on which Is the right or wrong shot. I would say..how could It be the wrong shot when they may have just sat there and watch me runout or come with a great bankshot and win,and they still would say..well you won but you shouldn't have shot that shot like you did. Like I was winning the wrong way.LOL

Efren was spin cutting balls In backwards, and banking,and kicking, and shooting combos. Billiards,caroms.Just what ever shot that HE knew he could make.
He didn't know or care what anybody else thought. To him, It was just another game of pool.All he knew was that he needed to get 8 In his pocket before the guy he was playing did. I just never did and still don't get the part about the ("what your supposed to do") Maybe I'm just hard headed but I'm with Shannon Daulton on this...One of the best tips SD has gave me has been that every time you step up to the table..It's a new game or new shot.
He says that It doesn't matter what you have done the last 10 shots....You still have to shoot the shot that's In front of you now. That's how SD approaches the table every time he steps up. Seems to work good for him also.

POOL shot.Doesn't matter what the name of the game Is..It's still just another POOL shot. I here people complain all the time that they don't like going from say banks to 9 ball to one pocket so on so ect. It really doesn't and shouldn't matter, If you just do like Efren does and just shoot the POOL shot that's right In front of you. Banking kicking whatever It's just another POOL shot.
Good day,John B.
Good point. I know I have been beat a zillion times by players taking the "wrong shot" lol :D

John Brumback

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Good point. I know I have been beat a zillion times by players taking the "wrong shot" lol :D

Hey Steve....your not one of the 'wrong shot" guys are you??? LOL

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
John Brumback said:
Hey Steve....your not one of the 'wrong shot" guys are you??? LOL
No, when people watching me say I shot the wrong shot, I always correct them -- "I shot the right shot, I just miss-hit it" ;) :D :D

cuesmith

Verified Member
John Brumback said:

Good day,John B.

Well Johnny, you're right in a way. Each time you come to the table you should shoot what gives you the best chance to win the game. Not necessarily in that inning, but what gives you the best chance for overall success. When it comes to taking

banks, you feel that you can make the shots, but you may be betting the game on one bank. That's what people were trying to explain to you I think. Gary was the same way. He often banked his way out of trouble but he also lost some games he might

have won using a little more patience, when the banks just barely missed their marks. With one pocket, the "golden rule" is that you should never take a shot that could cost you the game, if you're not 100% sure you'll make the shot, providing that there

is a possible way to duck and and not sell out. Of course if the safety is more difficult than the shot, you must take the shot. It's all about knowing your own capabilities. That's why I partially agree with your assessment. What may be the "right shot" for

one person, may not be the "right shot" for another, depending upon their particular abilities.

John Brumback

Verified Member
cuesmith said:
Well Johnny, you're right in a way. Each time you come to the table you should shoot what gives you the best chance to win the game. Not necessarily in that inning, but what gives you the best chance for overall success. When it comes to taking

banks, you feel that you can make the shots, but you may be betting the game on one bank. That's what people were trying to explain to you I think. Gary was the same way. He often banked his way out of trouble but he also lost some games he might

have won using a little more patience, when the banks just barely missed their marks. With one pocket, the "golden rule" is that you should never take a shot that could cost you the game, if you're not 100% sure you'll make the shot, providing that there

is a possible way to duck and and not sell out. Of course if the safety is more difficult than the shot, you must take the shot. It's all about knowing your own capabilities. That's why I partially agree with your assessment. What may be the "right shot" for

one person, may not be the "right shot" for another, depending upon their particular abilities.

Yeah your one of the people I was thinking about arguing about this for years and you still don't get IT do you? lol Your one of the ole school guys that say the stuff about you supposed to do this and that.Every shot and game Is different. If I played much onepocket...I would spot you.. 10 to 4 hahahaha
glad to know your still around Sherm!! John B. PS: that old golden rule thing Is going out the window nowadays. Nowadays It all about getting 8 quick.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
You got to shoot the shot that help you win.

But every now and then that shot is the "wrong" shot if you miss it and leave an open table, more often than you make it. Sometimes you just have to go for it though, especially against better players.

That reminds me of one of my matches in Manila against Efren, when he actually told me I was taking the wrong shot, so he is one of the wrong-shot-guys too ;)

I was taking a good look in the pack after he had left me in a bad position once again. He came over to the table, analyzing the layout and what I wanted to do, and told me that would be "no good, all balls to my hole". I told him I knew that, but that ball would go into my hole I said, and pointed to a ball in the pack. He looked at it again, laughed and said "still wrong shot". :D

I made the shot, and he laughed real good when all the balls got close to his pocket, unless the one that dropped in my pocket.

I eventually won that rack, but lost the session as usual :D

John Brumback

Verified Member
Roy Steffensen said:
You got to shoot the shot that help you win.

But every now and then that shot is the "wrong" shot if you miss it and leave an open table, more often than you make it. Sometimes you just have to go for it though, especially against better players.

That reminds me of one of my matches in Manila against Efren, when he actually told me I was taking the wrong shot, so he is one of the wrong-shot-guys too ;)

I was taking a good look in the pack after he had left me in a bad position once again. He came over to the table, analyzing the layout and what I wanted to do, and told me that would be "no good, all balls to my hole". I told him I knew that, but that ball would go into my hole I said, and pointed to a ball in the pack. He looked at it again, laughed and said "still wrong shot". :D

I made the shot, and he laughed real good when all the balls got close to his pocket, unless the one that dropped in my pocket.

I eventually won that rack, but lost the session as usual :D

Ok straight shootin Roy!! I guess they have him brainwashed also.lol

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Ok straight shootin Roy!! I guess they have him brainwashed also.lol[/QUOTE

Whats the diffenence between winning and loosing is that the people who loose just shoot. And the people who wun no what they have to shoot at too win.

They no win too shoot and they no when not too shoot.

If you are loosing a game 4 to 1 And you have a tough shot and if you make it you could run 4 and out. You should shoot at that shot even if you miss it and loose the game.

You have too give yourself a good chance too win.

And another key factor that I have played and it works. If you are winning the session 3 to 2 and you are racing to 4 games.

And the score is 1 to 1 and you have a shot that you are a 13 to 10 underdog to make it. But if you make it you have a decent chance to run 4 banks and out I sugjest you shoot it.

If you make it you might win the whole game and youre opponent wont get back too the table and you can win and close out the sessuion. You should always dhoot at the money too wun the sessuin.

And it puts fear and pressure on youre opponent because he might not get back too the table too shoot.

And the same goes for one pocket. Shoot at the money too close out youre opponent.

Knoweing when too shoot and not too shot are very important in all games.
You must take the best shots too try too win the game and match.

Dont let someone out manover you out off the game. Thier are times what you have too show heart and shoot. And dont hold back and loose the game.

You want to be the player thats shooting too win the game or session.

Knoweing when to shot and not too shot are very important parts off the game.

cuesmith

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Yeah your one of the people I was thinking about arguing about this for years and you still don't get IT do you? lol Your one of the ole school guys that say the stuff about you supposed to do this and that.Every shot and game Is different. If I played much onepocket...I would spot you.. 10 to 4 hahahaha
glad to know your still around Sherm!! John B. PS: that old golden rule thing Is going out the window nowadays. Nowadays It all about getting 8 quick.

Thats cool. Whenever you think you want to give me that 10-4, you know where I'm at! lol Take care buddy!

Sherm

John Brumback

Verified Member
cuesmith said:
Thats cool. Whenever you think you want to give me that 10-4, you know where I'm at! lol Take care buddy!

Sherm

Ummm,It's 8 to 5 now.I just remembered about you having that good table now.Diamond Isn't It? I need to get up there sometime and bang some around with ya. John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:

Good day,John B.
You're absolutely, goddamned right John, it was too wet to plow today.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
You're absolutely, goddamned right John, it was too wet to plow today.

Dennis

Are you an ole sodbuster too?? I take care of about 900 acres. John B.

cuesmith

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Ummm,It's 8 to 5 now.I just remembered about you having that good table now.Diamond Isn't It? I need to get up there sometime and bang some around with ya. John B.

Yeah you need to come up, it's been too long. But I don't think I'd like the 8-5 game but that 10-4 may make me come out of retirement!. lol
Sherm

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
Are you an ole sodbuster too?? I take care of about 900 acres. John B.
John,

I only have a little grass to cut in my yard, not even a big garden. I was just expressing my agreement, in my own inimitable fashion, with just about the only thing in your post that I agreed with:) .

To each his own. Whatever works for a person is all that matters.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

I only have a little grass to cut in my yard, not even a big garden. I was just expressing my agreement, in my own inimitable fashion, with just about the only thing in your post that I agreed with:) .

To each his own. Whatever works for a person is all that matters.

Dennis

Oh ok!! That's cool.I was wondering what you were really gettin at.
I new there had to be somethin hidden In there.hahaha
Wi'll talk about It later I got to go practice awhile.Might have a game coming up. Man your to funny.John B.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
John, I want to play you but you can't bank, any ball you make on a bankshot gets spotted. Would you try that?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Roy Steffensen said:
John, I want to play you but you can't bank, any ball you make on a bankshot gets spotted. Would you try that?
thats like saying i want to have a reading contest but you have to keep your eyes closed:eek: :D
just sayin

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
lll said:
thats like saying i want to have a reading contest but you have to keep your eyes closed:eek: :D
just sayin

He can still bank balls close to his pocket, even hang them in the jaws, so with his moving and shooting skills he should still be the fav in such a game.

Never tried it before, but gonna give it a try one day, offering the game to a weaker player. Maybe it helps my creativity