Toughest One Pocket Quoistion Off All Time.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
When I had my own table I was practising left-handed vs right-handed and could spot myself 11-4 :)

It's real hard to play against yourself, cause it demands so much focus and concentration. I'm not able to do it on a level I'm happy with for much more than a rack.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Roy Steffensen said:
When I had my own table I was practising left-handed vs right-handed and could spot myself 11-4 :)

It's real hard to play against yourself, cause it demands so much focus and concentration. I'm not able to do it on a level I'm happy with for much more than a rack.
I think what you mention here is one of the real keys to productive practice -- if you are not well focused in your practice, you are not going to improve effectively. So look for practice challenges that work to help you stay focused and learning. I never could stay that focused playing against myself.

The very best practice routine I ever came up with was what I would call 3.1 -- and no, I did not get any of this from Phil Capelle; I came up with this myself back when I first started to play pool in the early 70's. I was doing it for Straight Pool back then, but it works for One Pocket, too. It goes like this:

Steve Booth's 3.1 Practice
The object is to perfectly execute a three ball runout, ending with a perfect break angle to open up your next three balls and repeat the routine. If you get out of line or miss a shot, you replace all three balls and the cue ball back where they started. It is basically a disciplined pattern and position practice. I used only three balls because I could remember where three balls and the cue ball were, and it was enough to have the three key elements, a lead in shot, a key ball and a break shot. A better player with a better memory could probably use one or maybe even two more balls -- but it definitely gets harder to keep it all in your head with more balls, and if you can't accurately replace the balls if you get out of line, then you lose some of the discipline of the practice.
  1. Scatter three balls on the table
  2. Plan your complete three ball run-out exactly before you shoot anything, i.e. pick your shoot order, and exactly the position for the second ball (the "key ball") as well as the exact angle for a break shot using the third ball.
  3. Prior to shooting your third ball, set another three balls up that represent the part of the rack that you intend to contact on your break.
  4. Then shoot your break shot and start over with another three ball pattern from where the balls land.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I think what you mention here is one of the real keys to productive practice -- if you are not well focused in your practice, you are not going to improve effectively. So look for practice challenges that work to help you stay focused and learning. I never could stay that focused playing against myself.

The very best practice routine I ever came up with was what I would call 3.1 -- and no, I did not get any of this from Phil Capelle; I came up with this myself back when I first started to play pool in the early 70's. I was doing it for Straight Pool back then, but it works for One Pocket, too. It goes like this:

Steve Booth's 3.1 Practice
The object is to perfectly execute a three ball runout, ending with a perfect break angle to open up your next three balls and repeat the routine. If you get out of line or miss a shot, you replace all three balls and the cue ball back where they started. It is basically a disciplined pattern and position practice. I used only three balls because I could remember where three balls and the cue ball were, and it was enough to have the three key elements, a lead in shot, a key ball and a break shot. A better player with a better memory could probably use one or maybe even two more balls -- but it definitely gets harder to keep it all in your head with more balls, and if you can't accurately replace the balls if you get out of line, then you lose some of the discipline of the practice.
  1. Scatter three balls on the table
  2. Plan your complete three ball run-out exactly before you shoot anything, i.e. pick your shoot order, and exactly the position for the second ball (the "key ball") as well as the exact angle for a break shot using the third ball.
  3. Prior to shooting your third ball, set another three balls up that represent the part of the rack that you intend to contact on your break.
  4. Then shoot your break shot and start over with another three ball pattern from where the balls land.

Thats a very good way too learn position play and getting the correcy angle. And always figure out the easeadt and best way to run the patters.

Her is a little more help witch players dont do they just breack the balls up wiyhout knoweing were they are going. I have not seen any player that figuers out by how you breack up the balls and were they will go.

And when you breack up the balls. and no what you are doping and trying too do. You also figure out where the cue ball and will go. And what youre next shot is.

By howe you go off the balls. That is something very important yoo learn. Were the balls and the cue ball will go acording were you contact the object ball.

Nobody does it unless its a very simple thing too see.

And this is a must for all players.Practice shooting a ball in the pocket and going off another ball and see if you can control the object ball and cue ball and were the cue ball and object ball will end up.

This is one off the most Important steps too learn and going too a higer levele.I say and talk a lot because U no a lot.

And ask a good player too set up a shot were he will hit another object ball and see if he can tell you were the object ball and cue ball is going.

And he will have no Idea Because very few if any pool players play position shooting a ball and going off another ball. But for a good player too do that he must learn this..

Even for the experts and champions.And unless its aoutomatick they dont figure it out.

Because it takes time and thinking. And oce you learned that then you can practice gooing off ove two and three balls. And were all three balls and the cue ball is going.

Thus is very strong. I wont go no deeper because this can take you a very long time too learn. And its not easy. And this is without a dought for good and advancet players too learn.

I could tell you things about pool Hudeenie would look like a amature. If you want too lear and improve your game. Then listen too what I say and learn it. And you will improve. Knowledge wise and playing wise.

Someone can even set up different shots on this site Like Fast Lenny Or whoever can do it.

Breack up two or three balls and see were they go. And howe you can change the positions were the balls go is by hitting the object balls at a different angle.

Like making contact with the balls fuller thinner spliting two off the object balls and you can even learn by what you are doing were you hit the balls that eill breack them up the best.

So you figure out ahead off time were you want the cue ball to hit the object balls to breack them up were you want them too go.

And set up shots on the site were people can practice shooting shots and howe to go off the objest ball and were to hit the oblect ballwere you want the objecy ball and cue ball too go.

And you will also learn too use follow draw stop shooting the cue hall harder dead center with a little angle to breack up the balls.

And were the cue ball will go if you use folloe deaw or what ever english you shoot with and what english you need to hit the cue ball high with english too go two or three rails to get were you are trying too get for position.

Its not easy and all these shots should be the cue ball going off another ball or two balls.

I would call it playing position off another ball.

So nnow you have this years Christmus present steeve Booth. And Belive me it will take you longer then Chriitmus too learn this.

And I have never seen any practice this. Excepte maybe on one or two shots off of one ball. But I no that people dont practice this. Because they realy dont even think about it or try too figure it out. They just dhoot too breack up the balls.

Even when they play nine ball the dont figure out were they want to hit the object ball to get were they want too go.

YEt the have practiced for ever playing position off the ball they are shooting too get position for the next ball. Thats what they all do.

But her is another key. And Steve when you but all the thigs and material I wrote you will have the greatest pool book in life.

And nobody will have all the things I have said or done uless they copy the book or get all the information and posts off the site.

A present for all the champions who will improve thier game a lot. If they can do this. AND IT WILL TAKE TIME AND PATIENT TOO LEARN.

From A sucker who use too hustle. The only person I could never Hustle was myself.

Knowledge and your mind is the strongest weapon in life. THe thigs you need to learn you never new and never did.

If someone says they did that too. THen they must be God. Because he is the only one that I no that new.

And I told every one I have the greatest role modle in the whole world. And thats Jesus Christ and beliving in him keeops me strong. He is the only one I no that never lost. ABMIDDLER

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Zorro

Zorro

AB has been known to mask his pool school IQ with an air of understated eloquent charm.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
It's not possible to gage a spot in playing yourself.

Many times I try to set the balls up so that I can play a lock up safe and put them in jail. This may take a few shots. Or when I'm nudging the balls in the stack to line up something to my hole. Or if I have some sort of strategy in mind because of the way the balls are sitting.

Well if my opponent knows everything that is going through my head and at the same time I know all his thoughts then a handicap is hard to set.

Almost the same as playing a game of chess with yourself.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
9-7 playing right vs left hand.
10-6 playing versus myself with only center or top english

But I think I see the question you are really asking, and how much does it really matter about the spot, because if you should win, you do win. Sometimes a spotted ball means nothing.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:

But I think I see the question you are really asking, and how much does it really matter about the spot, because if you should win, you do win. Sometimes a spotted ball means nothing.[/QUOTE

Did you no when you play yourself you both have the same backer and nobody wins.

And you can play for 100 thousand a game and thier wont be no money exchanged.

Because the same guy collecting is also the same guy paying.

Sont qouite me because they will come with the straight jacket.

But if I play myseld I want too hold the stakes.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Artie Bodendorfer said:
newfosgatesucks said:

But I think I see the question you are really asking, and how much does it really matter about the spot, because if you should win, you do win. Sometimes a spotted ball means nothing.[/QUOTE

Did you no when you play yourself you both have the same backer and nobody wins.

And you can play for 100 thousand a game and thier wont be no money exchanged.

Because the same guy collecting is also the same guy paying.

Sont qouite me because they will come with the straight jacket.

But if I play myseld I want too hold the stakes.
Hmmm... And before you said that I was considering putting a side bet on you.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Yes, I can't beat that a$$hole, he plays to safe and I shoot at everything.:p
Rod.

Tell him to give you 8 to 6 and the breack. I might spot you whatever you ask for.