Service For George Fels

SamFels

Hello all. I just wanted to post the arrangements for my father, George Fels. A service will be held Thursday, January 9th at 7pm at the Benson Funeral Home, 3224 W. Montrose here in Chicago. There will be a viewing from 5-9pm around that.

Dad was very clear that he wanted something like this to be a celebration of his life, not a mourning of his loss. So please come in that spirit, to have a few laughs and all. Stones t-shirts are highly encouraged.

Also, if someone could do me a small favor. I know George was very active in the AZBilliards forum, and I'm not a member there. I'm sure someone here is, so if you could post this information there I'd really be appreciative. Thanks so much for all you've done already.

Sam

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Thanks for the.....

Thanks for the.....

.......heads up Sam and once again he'll be missed by many here in our own ways and times.Good luck to you in your ventures down the line toward those crossroads,James

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
None of you who aren't from Chicago would know this...

But it's very appropriate that the location of the funeral home where George's services will be held tomorrow night, is directly across the street from a poolroom..a poolroom that for a few years in-around the late 70's, was the main action poolroom in Chicago - Marie's Golden Cue...I was there during those years, and I know that George played some straight pool at Marie's back in those days - with Tommy Spencer, Wendell Weir, Joey Gold, Jack Gunn, and others of the brotherhood.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
None of you who aren't from Chicago would know this...

But it's very appropriate that the location of the funeral home where George's services will be held tomorrow night, is directly across the street from a poolroom..a poolroom that for a few years in-around the late 70's, was the main action poolroom in Chicago - Marie's Golden Cue...I'm sure George played some straight pool at Marie's back in those days - probably with Tommy Spencer, or Wendell Weir, or Joey Gold, or Jack Gunn.

- Ghost

And George Michaels and Jarvis....I can see the room lit up at night, it was a good room to play/gamble in very appropriate. I've been trying to contact a few friends to see if they would go to no avail, hopefully we'll get a report. I'd love to hear the services, but I'm a thousand miles away, darn. RIP GF your words/ways will be missed.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
And George Michaels and Jarvis....I can see the room lit up at night, it was a good room to play/gamble in very appropriate. I've been trying to contact a few friends to see if they would go to no avail, hopefully we'll get a report. I'd love to hear the services, but I'm a thousand miles away, darn. RIP GF your words/ways will be missed.

I believe I played in there every night for about 4 years too!:confused: Hmm, the Ghost must have somehow let it slip his mind.

Beard

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I believe I played in there every night for about 4 years too! :confused:

Beard

As always, I'm the one person supremely qualified to correct you..that said...

Your inference here is invalid, and without relevance...how would the fact that you played at Marie's back then have anything to do with my post's content? - my post wasn't about naming all of the players at Marie's back then...

I only named the players from back then who relate to George, because of straight pool being their primary game, or their second-most played game...

And that's also why I didn't mention George Michaels or Jarvis, as I.D. did...because they weren't straight pool players...are you 'unconfused' now?...

Sorry it wasn't about you at all...:rolleyes:

- Ghost

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
As always, I'm the one person supremely qualified to correct you..that said...

Your inference here is invalid, and without relevance...how would the fact that you played at Marie's back then have anything to do with my post's content? - my post wasn't about naming all of the players at Marie's back then...

I only named the players from back then who relate to George, because of straight pool being their primary game, or their second-most played game...

And that's also why I didn't mention George Michaels or Jarvis, as I.D. did...because they weren't straight pool players...are you 'unconfused' now?...

Sorry it wasn't about you at all...:rolleyes:

- Ghost

Apparently I was confused. The fact that you havent talked to me since your match with John H might have amped up my paranoia.:lol

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
to luke perry and freddy
let him rest in peace
you can find someother time to feud
my condolences to the fels family

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
to luke perry and freddy
let him rest in peace
you can find someother time to feud
my condolences to the fels family

You are more than right Lar. The Ghost and I shook hands at George's wake last night. There was a nice crowd there and a few friends, myself included, gave a few eulogies and shared a few stories about our friend. I made mention of my original rating system for the billiard mags, as to how many "sittings" in the donneker each magazine would sustain. The Billiard Digest, mainly because of George's columns, was rated at Two Squats, with George's column often using up a whole squat all by itself. All the other billiard mags were good for one squat only.

Among the notables in attendance: Mike Panozzo, Larry Schwartz, John the cop Roske, Ed Young the cuemaker, Angel Levine, The Ghost, George Pawelski, etc.,etc. Mr 3Cushion sent an email for Angel to read.

Goodbye Pal. I will always remember when you educated the sweaters as to what Mexican Johnny actually meant when he would say, ShooWanDo? in Bensinger's. One guy actually thought it was a battle in the Korean War. His reply was, "Well the Marines took a pounding, but they held the line!"

You of course knew he was just asking for a game; translation: What do you want to do? (Stolen from one of George's old columns)

Beard

Attachments

• Scan (600 x 588).jpg
    Scan (600 x 588).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Shoowando...

Shoowando...

.....getting down to the nitty-gritty,around 83-84 I believe he called it out for us acolytes to peruse and address the legions of the green felt jungles....adieu Mr. Fels........

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I only knew Mr. Fel's through his written words, but what enlightening words they were..It was obvious how intimately he knew the 'old school' pool world..The old adage 'anyone can be replaced', just may not apply to George Fels....RIP sir, Life well lived.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have known George for the better part of 50 years, he was a gentlemen first, and then a bunch of great stuff followed. I have never heard George raise his voice in anger, he was a pleasant man that was always a pleasure to be around, he will be sorely missed by all that truly knew him and others as well.

R.I.P. George, and I can only hope that when it's my turn that I end up close to you.

Bill Incardona