View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
I've been proposing "All ball fouls with a one touch warning" instead of all ball fouls. I've just seen too many invisible fouls called by an opponent overlay anxious to get back to the table. Fine, all ball fouls if you have a neutral referee, but the whole reason they adopted cue ball fouls only is for non-referee situations, which is by far most of the time.

The way I describe "All ball fouls with a one touch warning" is that if you touch an object ball in the act of setting up or warming up (prior to the delivery of your stroke) then your opponent can warn you -- and they can call somebody over to watch if necessary. A subsequent clear object ball touch is a foul. If it might have been a foul or might not, the opponent is going to have to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt unless someone was brought over to watch. In any case, it is always a foul to disturb an object ball if it happens in the act of shooting (and it's too late to stop for the warning). Obviously cue ball fouls are always fouls too.

Giving the close calls to the shooter forces the opponent to call someone over to watch if they think it is going to be close -- because a neutral observer can simply call what they see, whether it is a very light touch foul or an obvious foul. Players are used to being asked things like "can you watch this hit?", so it shouldn't be that big a deal enlisting someone to watch (when you are dealing with two players who do not trust each other lol).

I think this could be a good compromise between cue ball fouls only, and all ball fouls -- without a ref.
As you know, I don't play for large stakes, but whether gambling or in tournament play I don't recall any problem worth worrying about playing CB fouls only.

I'm always for making things better if possible, but for me this is one of those "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it" issues.