Spot question

8andout

Verified Member
i've been giving a guy 8/7 8/6 and playing pretty much even. he wants to raise the bet and get 8/7 and all breaks. what do you think.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
i've been giving a guy 8/7 8/6 and playing pretty much even. he wants to raise the bet and get 8/7 and all breaks. what do you think.

YOu should pretty much know. You've already been playing him that way fifty percent of the time. Right? What's his percentage?? PLAY HIM and make him alternate pockets. Bet high as a Georgia pine.. That way you can make him dog it for sure...

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

if your current game is an even match why would you consider giving him a bigger spot for more money. Unless you just don't like money!!!!

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

Don't you want to tell him you want to raise the bet and play the 8-6 with you breaking all the time?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

I think go ahead and do it, sounds like you're mad at your money and want to get rid of it. I have been known to lose a hunnert just to get the guy to raise the bet. Breaks for weaker players can be two balls and six is a short game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think go ahead and do it, sounds like you're mad at your money and want to get rid of it. I have been known to lose a hunnert just to get the guy to raise the bet. Breaks for weaker players can be two balls and six is a short game.

I don't know how big a factor it is -- and in this case the skill differential is very small -- but the weaker player will break worse and the better player get out of it better. Those two special skills -- who has them and/or who not -- could be significant.

As for 8andout's question, since they've been breaking about even, if continuing to do so is good with him, he should go for it because it's not much worse for him. It's definitely not better.

If it were me, I'd offer break only, and if he doesn't take that, I'd wait him out to see whether he'd change his mind.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
For me, it would depend on how each of us breaks .
1. Do you ever sell out on your break and leave a corner ball or more ?{How often in 10 games}
2. Does he sell out on his break {how often in 10 games}
If he sells out even 20 % of the time, or has a weak break that allows you to almost always hit something on his side and move it or a couple of balls to your side , in that case ,I would rather give up the breaks than a ball.
The break is only an advantage if you do it correctly almost every time.
I have seen people I played even with , that had such weak breaks, if they asked for all the breaks I would gladly raise the bet a hefty amount.
They usually know they suck though and don't want anything to do with that. .
I'm sure you don't, or you wouldn't need to ask this question , but you should keep statistics on how many of your breaks you win against every player you figure to play more than once.
If you win 90% of all the games you win against this guy on your break, you would automatically know , you can't give him the breaks , vice versa if you win 40% to 60% of all games vs this guy on your break and the rest on his,he might be taking less spot than he already gets and not even know it.
Just the fact of him asking for the spot , tells me he probably keeps track and knows it is to his advantage to get those breaks.

baby huey

Verified Member
Giving up the break is huge in any pool game (except straight pool) so if you did seriously think about doing that then you must not like your money.