Best One Pocket Commentators?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Just curious who you all think is great. I personally am a fan of Billys but I believe everyone is. I have enjoyed Jeremy Jones and also think our own Bernie Pettipiece does a fine job too.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Just curious who you all think is great. I personally am a fan of Billys but I believe everyone is. I have enjoyed Jeremy Jones and also think our own Bernie Pettipiece does a fine job too.

I think my opinion is pretty valid here as I watch a LOT of one one pocket.

Billy Incardona is really good - like the title of his video, he plays great "common sense one pocket." I love his evaluation of the intangibles on the table, such as momentum, streak and attitude and player's demeanors. Like DCC masters of the table, Billy has no weakness in the booth. I could go on and on, but we all know and love his insight and expertise.

Grady - Grady is really good for many reasons, and one is his recognition of straight pool strategies and shots. Grady also understands traps and how to start and break them as well as anyone ever. He played the game so often his commentary was near sterling. The "professor-like" style of speech and vocabulary was truly classy and even a bit funny at times.

Danny DiLiberto - Danny also has his own inimitable style of joking and storytelling. Almost like Corey Deuel, he has a creative knack for picking out shots, some of which are too aggressive for the situation, however. Danny is also served by his straight pool abilities in the booth and his emphasis on studying the pack is legendary. While he can gel with other superstars in the booth, he can also devolve into abrasiveness and argumentativemess.

Dave Maddux - Dave seems to understand the game quite well and has a refreshing attitude in the booth. He teams up nicely with Billy Gibbs these days.

Freddie - I personally love Freddie's commentary and very heady analysis. I have always wondered if we are "hearing" Artie's game in his commentary. At any rate, even a short listen will let you know his 1p IQ is crazy high. His shot selection and critiques are always right on.

Varner - I can listen to Varner nonstop. While some may feel he plays too defensively, it is hard to argue he's not one of the top ten players of the last 30 years. His "chair game" and never-say-die attitude come out in his commentary and you can learn from him in this regard. The number one thing that stands out in his commentary is that he holds nothing back - you're getting the real goods.

Frost - recently, I have heard some Frost commentary and I really think it is top notch. I was expecting him to hold back, but you get the feeling you are inside the decision-making process. He gets along well with his boothmates and makes for an interesting listen. Perhaps as he grows older and transitions out of competition, well get to hear more. Accu-statas would do well to consider him as a permanent fixture in the plexiglass.

Mark Wilson - Mark's emphasis is on mechanics and stroke. He analyzes the actual physical movements of the stroke and comments nicely on what went right and what went wrong. While his 1p knowledge is not up their with the top-tier commentators, it is obvious that he is learning somewhere. With his close working relationships with the younger class of graduates, he seems to have a lot to offer in the booth.

That's all I got.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I wonder who Billy would most like to commentate with that he has not yet and also who he enjoys commentating the most with?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Incardona, Frost, Maddux, J.J. and Grenier.

Of course Freddy was top-notch.

I'd like to mention four or five I can't stand to listen to anymore to see if others agree with me, but I think I'd better keep it to myself. Suffice it to say it's guys who talk too much when there are wiser heads beside them.

u12armresl

Verified Member
Billy, hands down.

Whoever the second person is, HAS to realize they are second fiddle. It can't be a contest.

Just like in broadcasting Al calls the plays and Colinsworth makes comments afterwards.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
OH MY GOD... Billy is going to get a hard on when he reads this thread...:D Just joking.. Have to agree Billys #1 I like Jeremy Jones and Scott Rabon also.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Billy of course.....and these 3 newcomers that I've heard once or twice, I think did an excellent job ----->

Scott Rabon

One Pocket Rich

Brandon Shuff

- Ghost

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Best One Pocket Commentators?

Billy hands down. JJ. Frost has been better each time I've heard him. I also really liked john schmidt when I've heard him. Of course Corey is great because he advocates the craziest shots lol.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Joey A has done a number of 1P matches. Have any of you listened to his? He has been playing the game a long time

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
The few times I've heard Shannon Daulton and Rich Grenier commentate they've been super. (Of course, Billy I and J.J. are great.)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks to every one that likes my commentary, I try to be as objective as possible and i'm looking forward in doing the one pocket commentary at the Derby this year.

I have learned so much in the past 20 years by being in the booth with the games best players. I have done commentary with Ronnie Allen and Ed Kelly, clearly two of the all time greats. Ervolino..Fusco..Hopkins..Daulton..Bodendorfer.. Grady..Bentivegna..Varner..Hall..DiLiberto..Frost..Deuel..Rempe..But I have never done commentary with Jeremy and would love to do it because to me he's one of the best there is..period. I have also worked with Joey A, Bernie, Rabon, Maddux, Schwartz, Cotton, and Kenny Schuman.

The benefit of doing commentary with so many different champions is that you will learn what their favorite shots are and also learn different strategies that you can use their shots with. I also have changed my opinion on when to play aggressively, based off of not only the score but also when you're looking for a defensive shot and the selections are sparse..sometimes your best defense is a good offense, however, you need to be educated in that area and unfortunately it usually comes when your playing an aggressive player that beats you with aggressiveness. Like Dan mentioned, I am a pretty solid thinker when at the table and try not to play too aggressively, however, There have been quite a few players that have made me a believer that my conservative play was costing me games and that's where I have made that change for the better, by playing more aggressively. I was guilty of that often when trying to protect large leads, when an aggressive shot was the best solution..

One pocket is a game that I will never get tired of playing, it's the greatest game on Planet Earth.:D As I get older I believe it even more..and more..and more.

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Joey A has done a number of 1P matches. Have any of you listened to his? He has been playing the game a long time

Joey A knows the game but is far from prime time quality as an announcer/commentator goes. His voice is distinctly monotone. This might work for streaming One Pocket but would never be good enough for general consumption. Scott Frost does a credible job.

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Gotta go with Billy,,,,,,,, if you like a bit of humor along the way throw in some Diliberto.

u12armresl

Verified Member
Agreed, he is on too many streams, a lot of big truck ones.

IMHO if he is commentating, I would not buy the stream, for the same reasons listed below.

I also enjoy Corey, and even Lenny as he brings it to a level of the above average player.

Joey A knows the game but is far from prime time quality as an announcer/commentator goes. His voice is distinctly monotone. This might work for streaming One Pocket but would never be good enough for general consumption. Scott Frost does a credible job.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In my view Grady and Cardone were the best. And a big part of that was their mutual rapartee. Buddy Hall is a surprising commentator. His insights are always fresh and inventive. And of course Artie Bodendorfer and Larry Schwartz were a fantastic team: no frills, just excellent strategy and commentary.

~Doc