The Promised Land of One Pocket gambling

ideologist

From
Rochester, NY
Here's a photo of Paulie Jansco in the pit

I have the negatives for a handful of shots from inside the Johnston City room, along with some other great vintage ephemera

Attachments

• 20181208_113742.jpg
    20181208_113742.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I paid $10 to get in that room to watch RA give Boston Shorty 9/7 for $5000. I only remember one table being there but I certainly remember those stands. Thanks for the photo. Someone said recently that the DCC of today is like Johnston City then. No Way. The other venue in Louisville was a little closer with the gambling and the stands.
The DCC in Indiana is heresy.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I've got a friend who still has a verified table from Janscos for sale if anybody is looking... its apart and ready to go...I tried to broker it for him 5 or 6 yrs ago and got no takers.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS PHOTO OF AN IMPORTANT PART OF POOL HISTORY.
i have never seen any pictures from inside jansco's .just descriptions.
so to actually see it and imagine all that happened there is a real treat.
p.s. i am bbb on azb

bstroud

Verified Member
i played Johnny Edwards one pocket 2 out of 3 for $200. on the table Paulie is standing near.

U J Pucket was in with me. Worst sweater in History.

Good thing I won.

Bill S.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here's Evelyn..........Dowell IL close to Janscos. 1996 And Grady and Dallas 1993

Attachments

• ch010.JPG
    ch010.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
  • poolplayers 001.jpg
    poolplayers 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here's a photo of Paulie Jansco in the pit

I have the negatives for a handful of shots from inside the Johnston City room, along with some other great vintage ephemera
Great picture of the JC pit! I've never seen a pic of the full room. If you'd ever feel like posting the others that you have, everyone would love to see them. Best regards.

~Doc

baby huey

Verified Member
Wow, they played that tournament on three tables? Now that's amazing. I have some questions if anyone knows: How many players were there for each event? And, did they have a green room?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Wow, they played that tournament on three tables? Now that's amazing. I have some questions if anyone knows: How many players were there for each event? And, did they have a green room?

It was a who’s who of players
Every top player and their backers and their friends and then there were wanna bees like me just staring in awe. There was a room with a bunch of tables that most of the action took place, another “barn” was used for the tournament and then the action room with the stands. I could only afford to drive there in the day and go back to school at night. Freshman had curfews. I found out about it from a schoolteacher who I played at the rec room. Two sets, $50 each. I think I won one game. Anyway, I saw the schoolteacher passing off Miller lite on the TV a few days later.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
i played Johnny Edwards one pocket 2 out of 3 for $200. on the table Paulie is standing near.

Good thing I won.

Bill S.

Johnny wasn’t a one pocket player. His specialty was nine ball and he would play anyone at his place. He busted out Eric, Truman, and I on a road trip through Kentucky. If you could beat him in nine ball, you were professional

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

The Jansco's had their featured tables in a specially built arena in "The Show Bar" starting in '64. They also had another building -- that was built earlier than "the pit", which was in back of the Show Bar. It also had tiered seating in the front room, but it also had about a half dozen tables in the back that is where most of the all hours action occurred. The back building was the main tournament building from 61-63.

I wrote a short history of the Johnston City tournaments for the 50th anniversary of the first one. That article is here:

https://www.onepocket.org/JohnstonCity.htm

ideologist

From
Rochester, NY
I have a couple rolls of negatives of shots from there and some other cool pictures. Please PM me if you want to get in on some prints.

I'm thinking about an 11x14 photo print of the pit there, I also have this image with Paulie not in it, just an empty room.

Attachments

• 20190111_203007.jpg
    20190111_203007.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Johnny wasn’t a one pocket player. His specialty was nine ball and he would play anyone at his place. He busted out Eric, Truman, and I on a road trip through Kentucky. If you could beat him in nine ball, you were professional

On the 4x8 table is his own room in Bowling Green it took someone like Lassiter or Taylor to beat him playing 9 ball. He played pretty good one pocket also.

There were a lot of really good players in those days that never left their home towns. They were really hard to beat in their home rooms. If you did there were several players from the same room that played almost as good that would get up and play. Not that way anymore.

Bill S.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The Jansco's had their featured tables in a specially built arena in "The Show Bar" starting in '64. They also had another building -- that was built earlier than "the pit", which was in back of the Show Bar. It also had tiered seating in the front room, but it also had about a half dozen tables in the back that is where most of the all hours action occurred. The back building was the main tournament building from 61-63.

I wrote a short history of the Johnston City tournaments for the 50th anniversary of the first one. That article is here:

https://www.onepocket.org/JohnstonCity.htm

I had ported those other, they are under the news section:

http://www.onepocket.org/news/the-jansco-bros-johnston-city-tournaments/

http://www.onepocket.org/news/johnston-city-50th-anniversary-commemorative-poster/

ideologist

From
Rochester, NY
Negatives of some, going to get a few of these run as modern prints in a larger format

Attachments

• 20181223_162629.jpg
    20181223_162629.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181223_162603.jpg
    20181223_162603.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181223_161910.jpg
    20181223_161910.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181223_161852.jpg
    20181223_161852.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 0

ideologist

From
Rochester, NY
A few large format prints of the empty room, plus digital copies of everything for review.

The tables are definitely Big Gs, see attached

Attachments

• BigG.PNG
    BigG.PNG
    345.3 KB · Views: 1

poolandpokerman

Verified Member

Good thing I won.

Bill S.

I went to Johnson City with Johnny Edwards in 65 or 66. He owned the pool hall in Bowling Green KY and we all went there to watch him play. He was a monster on the 4x8 at 9 ball, big thick glasses, no one was a favorite against him on his home table. That was the year Harold Worst was the MAN. Big tall guy always dressed in a suit, very polite, just a class act.