its your shot
oh by the way you are playing on a 10 foot table with tough pockets
wwyd
mg2.jpg

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'd cross the green ball w/ lhe and put the CB back close to where it's at now, only farther up table and closer to the long rail. You could win it here or hang it and put him on defense. I hit this shot pretty good 95% of the time so I'm not worried about leaving it out of my scoring quadrant. IMO there's no way he's firing at the stripe with a ball close to my pocket with the game in the balance.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'd cross the green ball w/ lhe and put the CB back close to where it's at now, only farther up table and closer to the long rail. You could win it here or hang it and put him on defense. I hit this shot pretty good 95% of the time so I'm not worried about leaving it out of my scoring quadrant. IMO there's no way he's firing at the stripe with a ball close to my pocket with the game in the balance.

Yes, that's the only shot that should be chosen considering the pocket size and the 5x10 table size. Anything else would be uncivilized.:D

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I can't tell if the cross corner on the striped ball passes the solid ball or not in order to pocket it. A lot of guys with good cueball control would try to cross it and hold whitey in such a way as to keep the solid ball blocking the stripe's new position.

Unless that shot looked real good, I'd probably just 2 or 3 rail the stripe out of there while floating the CB down towards the opponent's pocket.

That 10 foot table sure looks big! But I don't think it comes into play with this particular layout.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

My shot too, but why lhe? I think I would use almost a full tip of 2 o'clock.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
My shot too, but why lhe? I think I would use almost a full tip of 2 o'clock.

Lhe is correct John, you want to hit the long rail past the side pocket with whitey. Right hand english sends you possibly into a kiss if there's one there. The cue ball will pick up a little lhe using a center ball but that will send you close to the top corner pocket, using a tip of left should get the job done.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Lhe is correct John, you want to hit the long rail past the side pocket with whitey. Right hand english sends you possibly into a kiss if there's one there. The cue ball will pick up a little lhe using a center ball but that will send you close to the top corner pocket, using a tip of left should get the job done.

Dr. Bill

OK, thanks. I'm just seeing it wrong. I thought my rhe would be just enough to kill the lhe it would pick up on contact and send whitey toward the first diamond on my side of the top rail. Hope I'd judge it better at the table. :eek:

BTW, are you figuring that pocket speed will leave the CB short of the top rail? I wanted to avoid the long rail so I didn't give up a better offensive return if I hit it too hard. (I always need to think about too soft/too hard.)

3zss

From
Near Dallas, TX

I also believe this is the best shot option.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Be careful

Be careful

I like the thinking on banking the green ball, but this is a shot you have to be VERY careful with your speed or you lose the position and can end up losing the game.

If you were to over bank it with too much speed, or undercut the bank with too little speed, you might end up with this position, which is very bad for you. He gets a free shot, and if he makes it or hangs it, you are in trouble.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I like the thinking on banking the green ball, but this is a shot you have to be VERY careful with your speed or you lose the position and can end up losing the game.

If you were to over bank it with too much speed, or undercut the bank with too little speed, you might end up with this position, which is very bad for you. He gets a free shot, and if he makes it or hangs it, you are in trouble.

good points and
HOW DID YOU SHOOT THAT SHOT AND TAKE A PICTURE ?????:confused::confused::confused:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Your point is taken and you are correct that if you hit the bank poorly you can get in trouble, however, that doesnt mean that the bank on the 6ball is the wrong shot which it isn't. It's like anything else, if you don't execute well there are consequenses to face. Getting back to the bank on the 6ball. The option you have with the 6ball bank is an opportunity to score the ball or either position it to apply pressure. The down side of the shot is not nearly as low as the upside is bigh, mainly because of the tight pockets and the extra distance the 5x10 table presents.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
having played more than a lot on 5 by 10's when you are in a position of two to one in last balls to make, you want to not let him have a shot at winning in one turn. as it is much easier to keep it in a two to three to one dog position for him over being on a 4.5 by 9 where you can get out from many more spots..

so not leaving him a playable long shot is better off in my opinion.
let him try to win one ball at a time banking for them.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
having played more than a lot on 5 by 10's when you are in a position of two to one in last balls to make, you want to not let him have a shot at winning in one turn. as it is much easier to keep it in a two to three to one dog position for him over being on a 4.5 by 9 where you can get out from many more spots..

thanks for the insight beatle
so what would you shoot ???

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I agree, Beatle. That is why the bank on the solid ball is the wrong shot.;)

~Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Your point is taken and you are correct that if you hit the bank poorly you can get in trouble, however, that doesnt mean that the bank on the 6ball is the wrong shot which it isn't. It's like anything else, if you don't execute well there are consequenses to face. Getting back to the bank on the 6ball. The option you have with the 6ball bank is an opportunity to score the ball or either position it to apply pressure. The down side of the shot is not nearly as low as the upside is bigh, mainly because of the tight pockets and the extra distance the 5x10 table presents.

Dr. Bill

Billy the 6 ball bank was definitely the right option... this was one of the few times when anyone in the senior tournament used the extra distance of being on a 5 by 10 to help them... The majority of the shots played in the tournament guys were acting like they were on a 4 1/2 by 9.. its a different mentality

beatle

Verified Member
larry,

i would hit something along the lines of what doc said. banking the 13 over to my side high enough so he doesnt get good banks off it and if possible to hide it so the 6 ball covers it and he has to move the six on his next shot. then i become a bigger favorite to win.

and if he gets to play off it the six is live for me.

although if you can guarantee putting the 6 in the jaws then that is the shot.
and if you are like jeff who says he can put it close 19 out of 20 times and not leave the cueball accidentally too close. then it is clearly the right shot. i think he was a little liberal on his %ages. but it is shooter dependent.

and if you are playing one of the old farts that dont shoot at any long shots then you can bank the six as there isnt any downside as they wont play to win when a decent dog.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Billy the 6 ball bank was definitely the right option... this was one of the few times when anyone in the senior tournament used the extra distance of being on a 5 by 10 to help them... The majority of the shots played in the tournament guys were acting like they were on a 4 1/2 by 9.. its a different mentality

rob
would you like to explain alittle about the approach to play on a 5x 10??
please??:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
larry,

i would hit something along the lines of what doc said. banking the 13 over to my side high enough so he doesnt get good banks off it and if possible to hide it so the 6 ball covers it and he has to move the six on his next shot. then i become a bigger favorite to win.

and if he gets to play off it the six is live for me.

although if you can guarantee putting the 6 in the jaws then that is the shot.
and if you are like jeff who says he can put it close 19 out of 20 times and not leave the cueball accidentally too close. then it is clearly the right shot. i think he was a little liberal on his %ages. but it is shooter dependent.

and if you are playing one of the old farts that dont shoot at any long shots then you can bank the six as there isnt any downside as they wont play to win when a decent dog.
thanks beatle
still wish we could meet one day..:)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Even though we are on a tight 10' table I still will not give my opponent an opportunity to win the game in his next inning. I want to try to get both balls on my side, uptable if necessary, and then play for one at a time. If he beats me to the shot twice then he deserves to win but I'm not handing it to him easily, he'll have to manufacture a shot and then make it.

If the balls laid naturally for this shot it is what I would shoot. I could take away the banking lanes for both balls and leave him shooting long distance at balls far away.

zzz.png

If this shot did not lay well then I would bank the 6 cross-corner as others have said they would shoot but my first priority would be to look for a way to put the balls out of play as much as possible.

Dennis