Derby chatter...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

Here are a couple of the members in action...

HardMix (Ben) on the close table and 12squared (Dave) on the table to the right. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454020459.848784.jpg

Jtompilot in the action room for the cash. At the next table is Danny Smith in action and the table in the back is Crabcatjohn (rt) and the Cincy Kid (Chris).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454020524.520116.jpg

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

This is pretty cool.. Jim and Danny Smith in almost the exact same stance. No wonder Jim shoots so straight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454020741.587631.jpg

Our own good DR. sweating some action... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454020776.555319.jpg

Disco Dave. On of the nicest guys I met this year. In action.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454020858.511978.jpg

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Two suspicious characters spotted at the Derby.

Attachments

• Ghost and Steve.jpg
    Ghost and Steve.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Pics!

Darn, as I usually snap a few pics anywhere I go, I cant believe I didn't take any at the event. Thanks for posting the ones you guys took Miller, Mitch and demonrho!

I thought I had met all the people from the forums who showed up but I see I missed a few (hardmix, 12squared, 1pwannabe and maybe a couple of others).

I didnt see the Dr. there but I see you snapped a shot of him Mitch ~

Good times! (already looking forward to DCC 2017 haha)

baby huey

Verified Member
Just got back home late thursday night and I have to apologize for not staying up on when the dinner was scheduled. I saw the picture and thought oh oh, I just dogged it somehow. This particular DCC was absolutely the best in terms of size, skill sets and international flavor. Wow what a field of great players. I can see that Efren looks a little more beatable now than in previous years. I hope father time isn't taking its toll on him. I always pull for the old geezers, I wonder why? The euros seem to be picking up the one pocket game a little more as they seem more adept at the defense part of the game. I still think Alex is the MAN to beat playing one pocket but in races to three on slick cloth, a lot of players can and do get into the mix. I still think Greg Sullivan should have had a senior one pocket one nighter but for some reason he's pulled away from that concept. I talked to him about it and he was looking for an added money person to make it happen. Lastly, Jose Parica looked pretty sporty back playing again and he's like a little kid playing pool. He's just having fun and still can bring it on the table. I'd be curious to here more stories from the rest of you guys about your experiences at the DCC.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

I posted about a couple of my match ups, but here is the full list of people whom I got to play from the site at the Derby. ... Thanks so much to all for the games!! 12 guys total. Not too bad :). I think I went 7-3-2.

Bernie, The one holey Ghost, Col Bille, Disco Dave, Tom Wirth, 12squared, LsJohn, CrabcatJohn, Miller, HardMix, sczrbill, Steve Booth.

Random Thoughts:
Sorry I missed a few matches (Miller owes me a race for 200) and I missed my yearly donation to Jtompilot. Also my rubber match with sczrbill as I'm pretty sure he was sleeping when I finally got us a table lol. Hendy and Jerry ducked me so I'll get them next year (kidding about the ducking of course). I went to sleep between 5 and 6:30 each night and am still dragging! Watched the hacker and damn he shoots straight and moves good. Learned a 3 railer off the tittie watching ChicagoMike. Got suckered into playing 9 ball with an older guy who was a killer. I shocked myself by running a 2 pack to start off (haven't done that in 10 years lol) and win the first set. He won the second and I quit his a$$ to get back to 1p. New guys HardMix and 12squared both shoot straight as hell. Tom Wirths book is definitely named after his game and he's still got it. Steve Booth will aww shucks you to death while beating you (well, me). I already can't wait for next year.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Saw Grady at the Derby. Thought he had passed on. (How do you get these pic uploads to not get so gigantic?)

Attachments

• GRADY.jpg
    GRADY.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I posted as well in a few different thread I'm sure but here is my summary:

Tournament:

Lost Round 1 to Geoffrey Wade - nice guy from Tennessee who ran the balls well on me but I think if I would have played better I could have won that match but I had too many unforced errors.

Won Round 2 vs Robert Frost - had me 2-0 and I came back and won 3 in a row. We both played badly but I guess I played a little less bad then he did at the end. In his defense, people that know us both and we both play, they tell me that he can give me 10-6 and it would be a good game so I will consider myself lucky escaping the victor in that one :)

Lost Round 3 to Tony Chohan - ugly ugly ugly. Was over fast 3-0 and I played some of the worst 1p in my life. Made some very basic cross corner mistakes and paid dearly for each one.

Action:

The only action I had was playing the Ghost himself. We started playing even and the last game I got 10-8. I played bad plus I had no chance in that game so I donated $100 at $20 a game to our favorite WWYD entertainer :)

Oh and I almost got trapped by deathball (thanks for the assist there Mitch!)

I regret not getting a room and staying the entire week so I could match up more after hours and get to know some of the people on the forums a bit better.

That is my plans for next year.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Hi All,

Just back from my little drive from New Albany, IN to Fort Collins, CO w/a stop over to see a friend in Omaha. I'm tired.

What fun it was to be at DCC after so many years (last time was in 2004 in the old place). I played OK and won the games I think I was supposed to and lost the games I was supposed to (Jesse Bowman and Busti). Those two just over powered me. The first game w/Busti I had him 5-0 and tried to make a tough cut during my run but still came up with a decent safe w/trouble around my pocket. Was I wrong! Busti simply fired in a long bank and would have sold out the first game if missed, but he didn't. Instead he made the bank and ran 7 with perfect cueball speed during the run as it was not easy and he could have lost with any miss...my heart shriveled up to the size of a mustard seed after that and I lost 3-0. But I was happy to make the money, but it took more time to fill out the paperwork and wait for my $250 check then it did to play my last game. :)

I will say I am not a fan of the Cyclop cueball, it seems to bounce of the balls differently then I'm used to.

I was so nice to see my old friends, John 'Hendy' and Kentucky after such a long time as well as meeting so many new ones from this site. I won't/can't name all the folks I met from this site but Steve is a great guy and was so close to rooming with him until he dumped me, and then tried again after I already made reservation that could not be changed. I also fell into Mitch's trap as I saw a few minutes of him playing KY where he didn't play his best, so I thought I'd try him giving him 9-7, which was a mistake. He plays very well and is knowledgeable at 1-pocket - I 2nd KY saying his short rail banks are very strong. He didn't mention the spot because I told him not to spread it around, but I was only 1/2 kidding. I admit when I'm foolish, but look for ward to next time. Thanks for the action Mitch.

All for now, I need a nap.

Oh, I was front and center during the Jason Brown/Chohan match w/Jason getting the breaks - JB plays really strong and leaves nothing, but runs balls great. Tony did not play his best but it was a really tough game. I also watched JB and Efren play in the tourney and it was 2-2 when JB tried a two railer combo off the back rail that was hit too thin and sold out to Efren. He ran out from there but it was not perfect. I don't think Efren was playing his best, but still made fantastic shots. I love Efren!

Peace. Out.

Dave

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

I also fell into Mitch's trap as I saw a few minutes of him playing KY where he didn't play his best, so I thought I'd try him giving him 9-7, which was a mistake. He plays very well and is knowledgeable at 1-pocket - I 2nd KY saying his short rail banks are very strong. He didn't mention the spot because I told him not to spread it around, but I was only 1/2 kidding. I admit when I'm foolish, but look for ward to next time. Thanks for the action Mitch.

Peace. Out.

Dave

Thank you too Dave. You are a strong player.

Quick point though... I never asked for a spot and you offered so of course I accepted. That was your own trap :).

Thanks for the kind words re: my game. And you're right. I did not play well against Bill. He played great too.

That's awesome that you got to play Busty though. And get a check!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Quick point though... I never asked for a spot and you offered so of course I accepted. That was your own trap :).

All true, I offered the spot based on the small sampling I witnessed (I hope my write up didn't imply that you tried to trap me by asking for the spot). I wanted to challenge myself and it would have been a good game if you played as you did for the few minutes I saw you play. I didn't want it to be one sided and enjoyed myself, but as the father said in Dirty Dancing "When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong" :)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

All true, I offered the spot based on the small sampling I witnessed (I hope my write up didn't imply that you tried to trap me by asking for the spot). I wanted to challenge myself and it would have been a good game if you played as you did for the few minutes I saw you play. I didn't want it to be one sided and enjoyed myself, but as the father said in Dirty Dancing "When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong" :)

indeed 👍. I was not the one who got Penny in trouble. 😱

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Gents it was great meeting all of you. Next year I am going to make time to play (donate) with you guys more.

Hardmix

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Thanks for the kind words re: my game. And you're right. I did not play well against Bill. He played great too.

That's awesome that you got to play Busty though. And get a check!

Ah ha, the truth comes out, you played bad. I knew it even though ONE game I made a good out. The rest of the time you spent trying to give me opportunities and being the kind person I am, I accepted.. I must thank out author and his book. I glanced at it during dinner and shot one of the shots I read about, winning the game.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Derby chatter...

Ah ha, the truth comes out, you played bad. I knew it even though ONE game I made a good out. The rest of the time you spent trying to give me opportunities and being the kind person I am, I accepted.. I must thank out author and his book. I glanced at it during dinner and shot one of the shots I read about, winning the game.

Heh. Not a chance pal. You played great. Even if I was playing well you would've kicked my ass.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Danny Smith and Chris Gentile in the main action room at the DCC.

Attachments

• smith gentile.jpg
    smith gentile.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just got home last night -- great to see even more onepocket.org members than last year!!

I know one day we were fortunate to grab a table in the action room about 10:30 AM and we held onto that table until after I left, after midnight!! Other days we got time here and there either in the action room or late on the tournament tables.

It would be great to resurrect the private room we shared with AZ a few years ago, but you can see that the DCC multitude of events uses every single room and every single table. They even had some tournament assignments in the action room a couple times. There was a record number of players this year -- at least for the Horseshoe location if not Exec West, where they had more tables available.

Great to meet all the new faces and catch up with you all from prior years. What a fantastic time DCC is, so if you have never come, do your self a big favor and beg, borrow, but don't steal lol, to make the trip yourself next year!!!

onepockethacker

Verified Member
As for the Chohan /Jason Brown match.. On a real tight table there very well could be a different outcome.. Tony is an aggressive player especially after the break and alot of times a good response to the break is to try to clear balls and leave distance.. The problem was the tables played really soft so Jason was able to shoot at balls from 8 to 9 feet that he wont on a really tight table.. Plus the tables broke really easy because of the sliding cloth the balls would keep rolling and the corner balls rarely sold out.. Tony would have had a better chance giving Jaybird 9 to 7 under these conditions than the break.. I think he mismanaged himself here and didn't take the equipment into consideration.

P.S. on this equipment the break was worth like 3 balls...

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
As for the Chohan /Jason Brown match.. On a real tight table there very well could be a different outcome.. Tony is an aggressive player especially after the break and alot of times a good response to the break is to try to clear balls and leave distance.. The problem was the tables played really soft so Jason was able to shoot at balls from 8 to 9 feet that he wont on a really tight table.. Plus the tables broke really easy because of the sliding cloth the balls would keep rolling and the corner balls rarely sold out.. Tony would have had a better chance giving Jaybird 9 to 7 under these conditions than the break.. I think he mismanaged himself here and didn't take the equipment into consideration.

P.S. on this equipment the break was worth like 3 balls...

I'm sorry we didn't have the opportunity to meet. I did watch you play briefly and understand why others hold your game in such high regard. Maybe another time.

Dave