I. Runnels vs. E. Strickland 2012 D.C.C

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Very nice spot to be in. I will hit the 10, playing the 13 off the 14, hoping to make the 15. If it goes, I want to be in position to make the combination on the 11. Even the bank on the 9 looks quite toothsome. It's all good. Ain't it? :rolleyes:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Ike has a 2-0 lead and it's his shot. Several choices here. What would you do?

I'm convinced that a gentle, slightly right of center hit on the 7 makes the 11, or at worst hangs it up and gets safe. At worst, you steal a ball and he makes it while knocking the 15 away. At best, it goes and you've got 5 and the move.

However, I think I might play 13 off the 14 by hitting the 10 and pulling back just a little. I don't expect to make anything, but Earl is in trouble.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Very nice spot to be in. I will hit the 10, playing the 13 off the 14, hoping to make the 15. If it goes, I want to be in position to make the combination on the 11. Even the bank on the 9 looks quite toothsome. It's all good. Ain't it? :rolleyes:

Yep, but I wouldn't consider the 9 just because I like other stuff better. I even think the 2-14 has a good chance to make the 15, and CB takes a natural path inside the 1 on Earl's long rail, but speed could be a problem.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Bank the nine and then get on the other side of the four ball and then play the four into the ten while sticking the cue ball on the 13 ball. This gets everything ready for you. If you don't make the nine it will be close and it's away from his side of the table.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Hey La Bau

youngstown

Verified Member
I'm looking at shooting the 10 to freeze him on his side of the 7. Should move 2 balls over to my side, and I think it forces him to kick under the 15, which isn't ideal when you're frozen and jacked up.

yk

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'm convinced that a gentle, slightly right of center hit on the 7 makes the 11, or at worst hangs it up and gets safe. At worst, you steal a ball and he makes it while knocking the 15 away. At best, it goes and you've got 5 and the move.

However, I think I might play 13 off the 14 by hitting the 10 and pulling back just a little. I don't expect to make anything, but Earl is in trouble.

Aptly worded description.

RBL

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
It sure looks like the 10/13 combo off the 14 is wired for the hole. A simple stop shot at pocket speed would work....if it goes, great, if not, my opponent is in trouble.

2nd thought after looking at pic from above....looks like the 13 will roll into the 15 but still leaves 2 balls by my hole.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
My first thought was also to bank the 9 but you would need to draw the cueball below the 4 to protect against the 8/6 one-rail kick. It looks dead in Earl's pocket. It also looks like the 8 can be banked cross-corner all depending on the cueball leave.

I like the 7/11 combo, roll into and freeze on the 7 knock the 11 into 15 and have a ball on each rail and no good way for him to get to them. Of course I'd be leaving an open lane for a 1 rail kick-safe.

I think the most important thing on this layout is the cueball leave since there are so many good shots available.

P.S. I stopped the DVD at this point so I don't yet know what Ike shot.

ir6.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
My first thought was also to bank the 9 but you would need to draw the cueball below the 4 to protect against the 8/6 one-rail kick. It looks dead in Earl's pocket.

Yikes. Good eye... I missed that.

I like the 7/11 combo, roll into and freeze on the 7 knock the 11 into 15
It looks to me that the 11 can be thrown slightly to the left to at least catch the point.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think banking the 9 ball is a good shot only if you make it. It takes the cue ball out of the friendly area where it is. Earl will still be in a bad spot, and he might decide that his best move is to throw a grenade on the table.

Hit the 10 ball. Worst case scenario: leaving the 13 and 14 and 15 near your pocket, and the cue ball wherever you want to put it. Guaranteed good result.

treeMan

Verified Member
I guess this one of those times where you can't make up your mind as to whether you are going to make a ball or play a move. If he froze up on the 7 instead of drawing back he would have Earl dead to rights. But he drew back, I assume for shape on the combo, and left Earl an easy way out.

I'm not trying to read Ike's mind, he might have had a totally different thought process. I'm just saying this as it is something I have done myself. I think it is important to consciously decide to play shape or play the lock down, and stick with it. Not much to gain hanging out on the fence!

tree

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If I was going to shoot the 10/13 I would have stopped the ball right there behind the 7/11 instead of drawing it a little but knowing me the 9 is laying too good to pass up. A little low left to draw behind the 4, i like it...

(I didnt see the wired 8/6 dennis or maybe I would have passed on the bank on the 9)