Kerry Herbert of Portland, ME Passes

JAM

Verified Member
I don't know how many folks on this forum knew Kerry Herbert of Portland, Maine, but I just learned that he passed away.

Kerry was a longtime friend of Larry Lisciotti and had quite a few funny tales to share. He was the owner of Spot Shots in Portland, Maine, and hosted the 2004 Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour Season Finale there. It was a very cool tournament. All the big guns were there. It was won by Kid Delicious.

Keith and Grady got into a little one-pocket battle after they both got knocked out of the tournament for a nickel. We had been on the road for 2 weeks, and I did not want Keith to take our tournament cash monies and gamble with Grady. We were stuck for the trip even with the cash payout, but Keith wasn't hearing any of that and managed to get himself staked.

The pool room was a lot of fun. You had to walk down stairs to get inside.

Kerry was inducted into the New England Pool and Billiards Hall of Fame in 2010.

Here is Kerry's obituatary: Maine
Today Press Herald

RIP to a kind and generous man. He will surely be missed by all who knew him.

Attachments

• Kerry and Keith.JPG
    Kerry and Keith.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Here was the entrance to Spot Shots. Interesting name. Back in the day, if a pool player couldn't make a spot shot consistently, he'd be in a wee bit of trouble. :D

Attachments

• Spot Shot Pool Room in Portland ME owned by Kerry Herbert.jpg
    Spot Shot Pool Room in Portland ME owned by Kerry Herbert.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah, what a shame -- apparently he was 69, but he definitely looked younger!

The room is still going because Kerry sold it a year or so ago. I was up there just a few months ago for a small One Pocket tournament.

Kerry and Grady also hosted a big straight pool tournament up there that Efren played in (filmed by Accustats), as well as a One Pocket Legends event (also filmed by Accustats). The Legends of One Pocket there was in 2000, and I was there for that, but it was before I took quite as many serious pool photos, although I did take about 6 pics :) Some of the players that have passed from the One Pocket event include Grady of course, as well as Johnny Ervolino, Boston Shorty, Ginky and Larry Lisciotti. It was at this tournament that Corey Deuel was playing around with the 8-ball break for One Pocket.

I did get some photos when Kerry was inducted into the NE Pool & Billiard HOF in 2010

Check out who is in one of the photos on his framed HOF display (which hangs on the wall at Snooker's in Providence, RI).

His induction put a smile on his face, and he had a lot of fans in the house of course!

Yeah, he was tall -- he stood tall in the pool world too.

Rest in peace Kerry

JAM

Verified Member
Oh my gosh, Kerry framed the photo Keith gave him. I saw it.

He was HUGE in pool up in the Northeast region. His contributions to the sport brought pool to many, many players of all caliber.

Thanks for sharing those, Steve. I really, really enjoyed seeing them.