A. Pagulayan vs. J. Brownback, Broomback, Bounceback, CatFishBreath, 2013 DCC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
One rail in the side is laying perfect. Move the cue ball forward an inch and freeze him to the rail. He will have nothing if you miss. If he is able to play off the 2-ball you just shot, or the 3-ball near the side, and somehow put you on the back rail, you have an easy return safety off the 1-ball by hitting off either side of the 1-ball and rolling him to the head-rail. The 4-ball down there doesnt bank anywhere. I would shoot the 2 with a hair extra speed so that if I miss the bank long it will wind up deep on the foot of the table, making it difficult for him to put me on the foot rail, perhaps by shooting the 4-ball in and 1-railling me to the foot rail.

Beard

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was wondering if the 2-ball would pinch straight back in the corner -- leaving the cue ball in the same area as Freddy noted. The Diamond tables shorten nicely and it looks like there is a path to the pocket between the 1 & 3 balls.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Looks like the two ball might sneak past there one rail.( like Steve said) If it has room,which it looks like it does,I don't see anything wrong with shooting it and sticking the rock right there froze on the gum.However,from down there on the table it might not look so good.I sure don't remember this layout either. johnnyboy B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Looks like the two ball might sneak past there one rail.( like Steve said) If it has room,which it looks like it does,I don't see anything wrong with shooting it and sticking the rock right there froze on the gum.However,from down there on the table it might not look so good.I sure don't remember this layout either. johnnyboy B.

You don't remember? You drilled the 3 ball cross-corner and then made the 1 straight-back to win the game:D.

jb's shot.jpg

You left it here for the 1 ball:

jb's leave.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Just wondering...how long does it take you to put one of these wwyd things up? Is this called a screenshot? Thanks for doing what you do at any rate:) CFB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You don't remember? You drilled the 3 ball cross-corner and then made the 1 straight-back to win the game:D.

View attachment 8119

You left it here for the 1 ball:

View attachment 8120

As long as John could see the 3-ball there is nothing wrong with him shooting at it. It comes down to how you feel about the shot and the situation. Feeling tentative? Shoot the one in the side shot. If the 2-ball goes straight back that would have been my first choice, but I think John would have shot that too, if he thought it would go.

Shooting at the 3-ball also coincides with my strategy of what I am looking to do when I have a lead, I look to shoot at balls that are NOT close to either short-rails. Balls that lay close to the end rails have the least amount of bank shot options (usually only either of the 2 opposite corner pockets.) Balls out in the middle of the table are eligible to bank in many more pockets. So if anybody is going to shoot at one of those premium position balls, I want it to be me.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
As long as John could see the 3-ball there is nothing wrong with him shooting at it. It comes down to how you feel about the shot and the situation. Feeling tentative? Shoot the one in the side shot. If the 2-ball goes straight back that would have been my first choice, but I think John would have shot that too, if he thought it would go.

Shooting at the 3-ball also coincides with my strategy of what I am looking to do when I have a lead, I look to shoot at balls that are NOT close to either short-rails. Balls that lay close to the end rails have the least amount of bank shot options (usually only either of the 2 opposite corner pockets.) Balls out in the middle of the table are eligible to bank in many more pockets. So if anybody is going to shoot at one of those premium position balls, I want it to be me.

Beard
I agree with everything said with the exception of the 3ball being a ball in a premium position. The side pocket precludes any banks to the opposite side and all cross corner banks are of the long variety, however, what you said about eliminating balls that are positioned well for the banker should be noted as a valid point, providing you're the one shooting them.

Nice shooting John.:D

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I agree with everything said with the exception of the 3ball being a ball in a premium position. The side pocket precludes any banks to the opposite side and all cross corner banks are of the long variety, however, what you said about eliminating balls that are positioned well for the banker should be noted as a valid point, providing you're the one shooting them.

Nice shooting John.:D

Dr. Bill

Naturally, there are more classic examples one can show to demonstrate my point. But you are splitting hairs. Of course it is not as premium as the 1-ball, for instance, but it is more premium than the 2-ball or the 4-ball. At least you conceded to the general idea of the principle.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member

Beard

Good thinking and explaining. I'm with ya on all of that. I'll bet the two ball didn't have room either. JB

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Just wondering...how long does it take you to put one of these wwyd things up? Is this called a screenshot? Thanks for doing what you do at any rate:) CFB

Yes Virginia, it's called a "screenshot":p. Here's a thread I started to help explain it a little as far as the work and time that goes into it. I have about 115 one-pocket DVD's now and about 60 bank-pool matches. I also have two 3C matches and one 14.1 match (had to watch Jasmin bending over for an hour:)).

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5025&highlight=screenshots

P.S. You are welcome CatFishBreath:D.

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member
Yes Virginia, it's called a "screenshot":p. Here's a thread I started to help explain it a little as far as the work and time that goes into it. I have about 115 one-pocket DVD's now and about 60 bank-pool matches. I also have two 3C matches and one 14.1 match (had to watch Jasmin bending over for an hour:)).

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5025&highlight=screenshots

P.S. You are welcome CatFishBreath:D.

RBL

And to just think..all this time I thought it would be complicated to do one of them:frus:lol JK

PS: who the hell is Virginia:eek:

Yes, your hard work and time is even more apprecaited now. CFB

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Naturally, there are more classic examples one can show to demonstrate my point. But you are splitting hairs. Of course it is not as premium as the 1-ball, for instance, but it is more premium than the 2-ball or the 4-ball. At least you conceded to the general idea of the principle.

Beard

Thank you. Your point on eliminating balls that are in a premium position applies equally as much or possibly even more when playing one pocket. Playing one pocket whenever you're undecided on which option to choose , always consider which of the options (if eliminated) will lessen your opponents ability. However, you were right about me splitting hairs with the position of the 3ball in regard to applying it to your principle but if that's the worst critique I had to offer then your reasoning for shooting the 3ball was a good one. You're welcome.:p

Dr. Bill