DCC Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award '11

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Well, it's coming up to that time of year, so once again get ready for the Derby City Classic with monster action and entertainment.

For those that may not know, every year a person is named as the recipient of the Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award.

The winner is voted on by you, the internet forum members who attend the Derby City Classic. No hidden rooms. No behind-the-scenes deals. You come, you watch, you vote!

Please see the attached PDF for more information.

Louie Roberts Presentation 2011- with voting instructions

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspfY2nBUbo]Louie Roberts Award- Youtube[/ame]

See you there,

Fred

Last edited:

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I know how every one feels about Dippy, but if he goes to DCC and enters in the action room to play like he has in the last few months, He might get my vote anyway.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
lll said:
you guys that are there
any early favorites for the award so far???

well Dippy is staying in action every day/night/morning. Timmy Heath and him have been playing since 7am a 3 ahead full rack banks. Timmy plays onehanded on the rail and I think gives a spot too. For 10k. Timmy was up 1 several hours ago. I'll go check on that when I get back there.

I don't think he will get played again no matter what happens, because Dippy doesn't seem to be too much in love with him and his moves. When you pull that crap, you just lose a customer... It's one score or one loss and move on. He doesn't or need to...play people that he dosen't enjoy playing.

I guess... would you? if you could have your choice of dozens of games?

Shane's been in action alot.

No one else comes to mind, but I seem to miss a few matches. Damn things appear out of nowhere, you're watching another one, then that ones done by the time you roll around again.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Clare said:
Pardon me if I'm being ignorant, but I like nothing about this Dippy person. It sounds like he's not even a pool player. Is he? Having "gamble" is a quality I admire, but it seems that's ALL this guy has. I don't know who he is and I guess I'm out of the loop, but who the heck is he?

I sure hope he isn't an insult to all of the champion pool players.

Befuddled,
Clare

He's a blessing.;)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Clare said:
Pardon me if I'm being ignorant, but I like nothing about this Dippy person. It sounds like he's not even a pool player. Is he? Having "gamble" is a quality I admire, but it seems that's ALL this guy has. I don't know who he is and I guess I'm out of the loop, but who the heck is he?

Befuddled,
Clare
Clare,

How could you possibly insult a person who has chosen playing pool as a career?

Dave brings action to the room, he makes things happen when he's there. Most of those players are waiting for a dead one to walk in, Dave is looking to play the best, albeit with the "nuts". Those top players can win a lot of money if they outrun the nuts. I could just imagine Cornbread giving Dave some crazy game and playing for three days. Many of these so-called top players don't know what it's like to give up the nuts and try to outrun them.

I was watching TAR last night and heard an exchange between Dave and Strong-Arm John that makes a good point. John was offering a one-handed game of 9-ball, even, I believe, Dave shoots with two hands and also would get the break. I missed the bet but I'm sure it wasn't chump change. After John berated Dave for awhile (something I've heard too often) to get up and play, Dave finally says "I'll play you one game for all of the money". The room got a little quiet as they waited for Johns response. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, John says "O.K. but we have to play on a Bar Table". Dave just laughed at him. Even after finally getting Dave to agree to play, John still wanted to pick the table. I know he's a bar table player but still. Dave makes the short-stops stay in a chair, where they belong anyway. They don't want to bet it all on one game and they know he will, that scares them.

He's great action for a room and for a tournament full of players. He's surrounded by guys with a little money trying to turn it into big money. I give him props for all that he does. He's a rarity in a poolroom and he also seems like a decent guy.

Dennis

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Cowboy Dennis said:
Clare,

He's a rarity in a poolroom and he also seems like a decent guy.

Dennis

Dippy, despite the big problem between them, paid Frost to commentate on Dippy's game with Joyner. And Frost told us that Dippy lent Frost his stick when Frost was in a big action game there at the DCC. Dippy seems to have a big thumper - just gets a little peeved when he thinks someone's dissed him.

1pocketpro

From
Vancouver, WA
Clare said:

Befuddled,
Clare
Dippy may not be the greatest pool player but he seems to be playing a lot of pool and betting a lot of money. Watching Gabe and Cliff gamble with him at the Derby (via TAR stream) was certainly entertaining. A much different game than I'm used to seeing. It looked to me like Dippy presented a real challenge to them playing games 16-4, etc. He may be giving away his money but it looked to me that these guys were working pretty hard to get it. Opportunity - yes. Insult - probably not.

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Cornerman said:
Well, it's coming up to that time of year, so once again get ready for the Derby City Classic with monster action and entertainment.

For those that may not know, every year a person is named as the recipient of the Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award.

The winner is voted on by you, the internet forum members who attend the Derby City Classic. No hidden rooms. No behind-the-scenes deals. You come, you watch, you vote!

Please see the attached PDF for more information.

Louie Roberts Presentation 2011- with voting instructions

Louie Roberts Award- Youtube

See you there,

Fred

Just another bump for this since everyone should be home now so those who attended the DCC, please don't forget to vote.

Fred

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
1pocketpro said:
Dippy may not be the greatest pool player but he seems to be playing a lot of pool and betting a lot of money. Watching Gabe and Cliff gamble with him at the Derby (via TAR stream) was certainly entertaining. A much different game than I'm used to seeing. It looked to me like Dippy presented a real challenge to them playing games 16-4, etc. He may be giving away his money but it looked to me that these guys were working pretty hard to get it. Opportunity - yes. Insult - probably not.
I hope Dippy never stops playing pool he has put one pocket back on the map.

Nobody has the impact on the game off one pocket that Dippy has not even minesota fats. Dont ever stop playing dippy. And Dippy bets a lot higher then Fats. He cant talk as good as fats.

But in his way he has a lot off humor and has his circus act is supper. Some one should buy Dippy some suspenders with his name on them Dippys my name one pocket and holdum is my game pick any one you choose.

Dippys my name Gambling is my game. Dippy Playes no limite one pocket.
When Dippy talks EF Houton listens. You are one off a kind. Thier is only one Dippy. You are a player a gambler and a comedian all in one. You are the best I have ever seen.

If they dont but you on the front page off the newspaper then the reporters are sleeping. Because I have never seen anything like Dippy. He puts it all out thier.

You desirve a oscer. Maybe you will get one as soon as the media sees howe great you realy are. I enjoyed every minute. And you always no what too say.

Good luck Dippy. You are number One. AB Middler

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Clare,

How could you possibly insult a person who has chosen playing pool as a career?

Dave brings action to the room, he makes things happen when he's there. Most of those players are waiting for a dead one to walk in, Dave is looking to play the best, albeit with the "nuts". Those top players can win a lot of money if they outrun the nuts. I could just imagine Cornbread giving Dave some crazy game and playing for three days. Many of these so-called top players don't know what it's like to give up the nuts and try to outrun them.

I was watching TAR last night and heard an exchange between Dave and Strong-Arm John that makes a good point. John was offering a one-handed game of 9-ball, even, I believe, Dave shoots with two hands and also would get the break. I missed the bet but I'm sure it wasn't chump change. After John berated Dave for awhile (something I've heard too often) to get up and play, Dave finally says "I'll play you one game for all of the money". The room got a little quiet as they waited for Johns response. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, John says "O.K. but we have to play on a Bar Table". Dave just laughed at him. Even after finally getting Dave to agree to play, John still wanted to pick the table. I know he's a bar table player but still. Dave makes the short-stops stay in a chair, where they belong anyway. They don't want to bet it all on one game and they know he will, that scares them.

He's great action for a room and for a tournament full of players. He's surrounded by guys with a little money trying to turn it into big money. I give him props for all that he does. He's a rarity in a poolroom and he also seems like a decent guy.

Dennis
I realy dont no Dippy But I have seen enough.

I am impresset in many ways. Dippy will reate more action then the whole pool tournament.

And he will draw a crowd so big that thier wont be enough room for everyone.

I havant seen anyone like him in all the days I have played pool. He is all by himself the way he talks his manarisum.

I cant help it he is the Mikel Jorden in pool. Not because off his lack off talent. But the enjoyment he brings too the game and the people.

If they would have let him play on the tournement table were they taped the matches and charged 5 dollaers a person too watch Dippy play Cory Duel or Gab or Alex or any top player you wouldnt have been able too get a seat.

He is very interesting too watch. And he is not someone that doesnt no what he is doing. He knowes what he is doing and he says he knowes what he is doing. He just doesnt have a loot off fire power.

And watching him play one pocket is very unusuale. If he played nine ball it would not be the same. BUt watching him trying to out smart the top players is a classick. But too enjoy it too the fullest it helps to no the game off one pocket.

Scott and Dippy would be a great game too watch. But Dippy looks like he gets his kicks beating the best players with waite. And he has no quite or give up in him.

Enjoy watching him play because I dont see anyone like him around. Dippy I like your Style. And he will give anyone a chance too play.

Dippy made THe DCC a sucess. Maybe the greatest Action ever at the Dcc. I hope one day That I will get a chance too play him. Its worth it even if I loose.

Dippy the glatiator out off the arena. NO one is too good for dippt not too play them. THe better they play the more Dippy wants too play them. And he will play every day. All day.

J.D. Dolan

Verified Member
From
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Dippy

Dippy

Clare said:

Befuddled,
Clare

Dippy isn't an insult to champion pool players--he's their dream come true: an average player (at best) who likes to play pool and bet high with his own money. They love this guy!

And if you look at the description of the Louie Roberts Award, it's pretty much a description of Dippy. He played world champions for high stakes and stayed in constant action--and he was entertaining. People are still talking about how he handled Strong Arm John (I think that's his name) and Scott Frost. He also proved to be a shrewd gambler and to hold up well under pressure.

He got my vote.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
J.D. Dolan said:
Dippy isn't an insult to champion pool players--he's their dream come true: an average player (at best) who likes to play pool and bet high with his own money. They love this guy!

And if you look at the description of the Louie Roberts Award, it's pretty much a description of Dippy. He played world champions for high stakes and stayed in constant action--and he was entertaining. People are still talking about how he handled Strong Arm John (I think that's his name) and Scott Frost. He also proved to be a shrewd gambler and to hold up well under pressure.

He got my vote.
Clara Dippy is a super star. You just havant been around pool long enough to see his great atribuites. He is a pecaso in pool that puts him above all the champions.

Even Willie Mosconie Raymond Culamans Eferine RAyes. These players are all 70% over Dippy in talant. BUt thier is more too Dippy then just another pool player.

HE is exceptionale he is very unique. HE lifts the croud up and makes them laugh. HE stimulates his audience and when you are done watching him. You cant help but admire and love him and his houmer and his unusuale style.

He has a style and act all off his own. ITs all him. Its real and intertaining. And the proff is everyone talks about him. What player do you no or have herdoff that playes his speed and gets everyones attantion. I dont no off one person like that.

And I have meet thousands off people in my life. THe only one I can come up with is Minasota Fats. But he played a lot better then Dippy. And he was the best taker I have ever seen.

You need to use youre imagination and try too understand what he is doing . Its worth more then phantom off the opra. And If Minisota fatsand Dippy ever got together. And started thier acts. People would stay all night nobody would go home.

Fats and Dippy are caracters you cant make they are naturals. And we are very Fourtunite to be able to see such great performers and showemen. Its not about how good they play. Its what they do too people and the audience.

If you ask the ten top players who would they rather watch. PLay two champions or Dippy getting a big spot from a champion. Dippy is the lamb and the lions are looking to swallow him down. BUt thats hard too do because Dippy told everyone he knowes the game and howe to move.

He is a very smart one pocket player and His moves are very good. And thats what one pocket is Moveing and shooting. And Dippy gets a big kick out off out moveing the champions. And thats all he has because thats all his ability will let him do.

Dippy is no fool he just has limited ability. And he does the best he can. And if someone over powers him with real good shooting Dippy will lose. But he showes a lot off heart and gamble. He is not a one barrale man.

He loves one pocket and he will play forever. He will even out last some off the champions. So give Dippy his dues. He doesnt desirve to be knocket. He playes his heart out and it showes. And I have never seen a week player get the attention that Dippy gets.

Even though I do have to pick one person over this great caracter Dippy.

But that person never won. He went into the court room and the Judge asket him. Howe did you loose all that money playing pool and the man answered Jour Honer I never won. You never won. Why didnt you try betting Football or Baseball. And the man Replyed. Your honor what do I no about Football or baseball.

And the whole court room laughed. But he was the bigest action man ever in life in pool. The Great Rosey From Det. Known as Airplain. No one will ever top him. But Dippy is more off a caracter. And when he opens up the line anyone can bet.

And I dont see too many players doing that. Not even the champions. This is Dippys time in life to shine playing pool. And I would rather watch Dippy play then watch Willie Mosconie play. And dippy stimuales the spectators. And once in a while he will look up like what happaned. Like a little kid looking for help from his parants.

Yes Dippy also has a inocence about him. And nobody can do what Dippy does. I watched him when some one was playing a big action game and he walked in the room and he had this sad look on his face like what happened why isnt nobody watching him play. He looket lost and all alone.

But that didnt last long. Everyone came back to watch Dippy play. Dippy wins the oscore at the DCC as far as I am concerned. NObody could have done it better.

Not even Dinaro Paul Newmen Clinte Eastwood. Or even Marlon Brando. Dippy would have been a great caracter in the Movie the Hustler. Because if you dont go for Dippys act. Yopu wont go for anything..

Thanks Dippy for giving one pocket new life. And Showeing everyone you dont have to be a champion too play. Youre game youre time in life take too another levele.

Stick and stay and make it pay.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
argue

argue

Cant argue with the logic expressed here,well said men. Any champ that cant make a game with a lesser[middleweight?]player isnt at fault for his abilities but needs to get his head right regarding weight.In all the pools halls I've darkened someone was always looking for a fatman in a suit.Monetarily speaking,cheers,B

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
usblues said:
Cant argue with the logic expressed here,well said men. Any champ that cant make a game with a lesser[middleweight?]player isnt at fault for his abilities but needs to get his head right regarding weight.In all the pools halls I've darkened someone was always looking for a fatman in a suit.Monetarily speaking,cheers,B

Thier is nothing too talk about Dippy is the man. No matter what anyone says or thinks.

He has the best Cridentials in the world. MONEY. MONEY.

And if he didnt have money thier wouldnt be anything too talk about.

And everyone knowes that Dippy will bet his money. And Loose more money then anyone.

And you can win more money from Dippy then anyone else.

THe money talks for Dippy and thats what everyone is after. Dippy knowes that its no mistery.

Without the money thier would be nothing. Nobody would even watch.

And whats better for the great players betting backet. And can win a basket full off money.

I think thats something nice too shoot at. And they get a chance to win 20 or 50 thousand dollaers.

Thats a little better then winning a tounement having too beat 8 or ten players. Just beating one man will get them the money.

They should be lined up too play Dippy. Do you think Ronnie Allen would have loved too fire 30 or 50 thousand dollaers at Dippy. In his Prime.

He would have dreamed about getting a game like that. And Dippy has staying power too.

Back in the seventies you would have had a line from Las Vegas too Califonia too play Dippy.

Corn Bread Red Detrite Whity Baby Face Marvine Henderson Jack Coonie. Steve Cook Richie florence Edie Kelly Chriss Magean Mike Carilo Sanny Delaberto. Samie Blumintal. Buddy Hall. Mike Siegal Mizrack. Dany Jones Boston Shorty. Ceciel Bugs, Clyd Childers. Monk Toby. Blackie SJD. Patch Eye Tallahasy Joe Spath Clem Gorge Brunt Willie Munson. Mexican Johnny. Canala. Geno SErgio. Hawain Brian Tayor Marcell camp Earl Shriber New Orleans All. Grady Rusty Lefty Cannon ball. Buck Tooth Gorge Michales. Naggy Marino Louie Roberts. Danny Gardner Jimmy Fousco. Pete Margo.All Miller Canadian Pet Sercie.Col Dickson. Jimmy Red. Country. Paul Joens .Texas Blood Keith Don Watson. And thats enough players that would have been lind uo to play Dippy. Prety good list. Blue Shirt Uj Pucket Hubert Cooks Nick Varner. IS that Enough Billy Incardone Minnasota Fats. Even Cecero Murpy. Staw Berry. Eferine Parica
Jimmy Matiea Mario Miamie Cuban Joe Swanny and many more I forgot. But AS long as Dippy bets his money. Thier will be people who want too play him. And he loves the game. You think Ronnie might have played him one handed too his two hands. THey would have taken numbers too play him. He is very excepinale in pool. And the only other person I no would have been Rosy. Even Though Jimmy Spers was right thier too. With lots off gamble. Those were 3 great action players.